Author Topic: Operation Chaos  (Read 16144 times)

The Annoyed Man

Re: Operation Chaos
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2008, 05:55:22 AM »
What's funny is some of you seem to think academic achievement equates to intellect.  laugh  That said, the fact that Limbaugh has a huge audience indicates the intellectual level of the American people and goes a long way toward explaining why we have the government we do.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2008, 10:47:27 AM »
Bwaaaaahaaaaahaaaaaahaaahaa.

I guy from Texas called Rush today.  He's an R and he crossed over to vote D (Hillary) in Texas.  He went on to caucus for her in the PM on election day.  The D's liked him so much, they voted him in a delegate for the D's.  His neighbor a couple doors down (who doesn't know the caller by the way) is the chairman of the D party.  I had to get out of the car about then, so I don't know what else he had to say, but he sure was laughing at the D's when I shut off the radio.  grin
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2008, 11:14:37 AM »
What's funny is some of you seem to think academic achievement equates to intellect.  laugh  That said, the fact that Limbaugh has a huge audience indicates the intellectual level of the American people and goes a long way toward explaining why we have the government we do.
You seem to be under the mistaken idea that Limbaugh's audience is listening to him in order to learn and bask in his great knowledge.  It is nothing of the kind. 
He talks about current issues and politics in an entertaining way and slants conservative pretty consistently.  He also generally stays upbeat and doesn't let his show become angry or depressing for very long.  That is about it.

There are a lot of other guys who I have turned off for one reason or another.  It was either stupid ideas or just consistently being angry and ranting day in day out. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2008, 11:48:10 AM »
Limbaugh's antics are going to get us another eight years (or more) of Clinton......

...that may be great for his ratings, but it will be the end of the Republic.....

....learn from this, Grasshopper.....Oxycontin does bad things to the brain.....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2008, 12:14:07 PM »
I get a kick out of people who rarely if ever actually listen to Rush Limbaugh, but think they know all there is to know about the guy.
Thank you.  When they DO listen, they hear him making a lot of sarcastic or self-aggrandizing comments, which he only says to tweak them.  And it works.   smiley  Regular listeners get the humor, though. 

During the Clinton campaigns, he said many times that if the Clintons lost, that it would be bad for him personally, simply because the Clintons were so easy to poke fun at.
He also keeps saying, "my success does not depend on who wins elections."   FWIW.

You seem to be under the mistaken idea that Limbaugh's audience is listening to him in order to learn and bask in his great knowledge.  It is nothing of the kind.  He talks about current issues and politics in an entertaining way and slants conservative pretty consistently.  He also generally stays upbeat and doesn't let his show become angry or depressing for very long.  That is about it.
I think it's both.  Sometimes even in the same listener.  When I was fourteen, I hung on his every word and even read his books.  Now that I've grown up a bit, I just like him personally, and like hearing his take on things.  I don't agree with him all the time. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2008, 12:24:55 PM »
You seem to be under the mistaken idea that Limbaugh's audience is listening to him in order to learn and bask in his great knowledge.

Au contraire, mon ami.  (Did I say that correctly, Laurent?).  I listened to Rush Limbaugh daily for years before I just very recently woke up, saw the light, and realized nearly everything he says is either dishonest, mistaken, or both.  Same as the rest of the current crop of self appointed 'conservatives'.

Limbaugh's antics are going to get us another eight years (or more) of Clinton......

...that may be great for his ratings, but it will be the end of the Republic.....

If we survive eight years of George Bush, we can survive anything.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2008, 01:16:11 PM »
"Limbaugh graduated from Cape Central High School, in 1969. His father and mother wanted him to attend college, so he enrolled at Southeast Missouri State University. But he dropped out after two semesters and one summer; according to his mother, "he flunked everything", even a modern ballroom dancing class."

Judged. Found lacking.

IIRC, Bill Gates also dropped out of college:  "He enrolled at Harvard College in the fall of 1973 intending to get a pre-law degree,[16] but did not have a definite study plan and eventually left without his degree."

I did graduate from college and would gladly trade my degree for for just one year of either's income.

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #32 on: March 26, 2008, 07:09:28 PM »
Say; how much does it cost to "process" a political campaign contribution?  grin

If every republican sent a money order to them for "one cent", or even a dime - it might drain their funds completely. It would cost them a pile of money even to open all the envelopes and trash those below a certain amount.

My state's Democrat Party used to send me lots of campaign mail, asking for contributions and whatnot.  One day I got fed up with it and mailed 'em a check for 5 cents.  They never cashed it.  They stopped sending me their junk after that, too.

taurusowner

« Reply #33 on: March 26, 2008, 10:20:57 PM »
First, it's not an original idea.  The Dems basically picked McCain as the Republican candidate by doing the same thing months ago.  Various leftist groups actually organized voting parties and rallies and bused people in groups to vote in the GOP primaries in early states that had open voting.

And second, Limbaugh doesn't control anyone.  He simply stated a good idea and people realized that it was a good idea and went with it.  If it was a bad idea, no one would do it.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #34 on: March 26, 2008, 10:47:51 PM »

Well, that's a deeply intellectual thing to say.  Yeah, anyone who dropped out of college is stupid.   rolleyes 

No. Some people drop out of college voluntarily. But flunking each and every course is difficult if you're not silly.

Opinion:  Limbaugh is an arrogant windbag. 
Opinion:  People don't like arrogant windbags.
    Fact:  Millions of people listen to Limbaugh every day.   

One of those statements has to be wrong.

Suggestion: Some people DO in fact like arrogant windbags. Other's don't. People enjoy listening to Rush because they enjoy listening to him verbally stomp down those they disagree with, and validate their opinions.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

LAK

• friend
« Reply #35 on: March 27, 2008, 02:22:43 AM »
Headless Thompson Gunner
My state's Democrat Party used to send me lots of campaign mail, asking for contributions and whatnot.  One day I got fed up with it and mailed 'em a check for 5 cents.  They never cashed it.  They stopped sending me their junk after that, too.
Well let's take it a step further; how about every conservative mailing letters (they will not be able to tell whether an envelope contains a MO, check or not) to the contribution address asking them to give reasons why we should give them our money. When, of course you do not receive a replay, you send another. That would swamp their boat and create the prospect of a terrible bottleneck in funding or spending a pile of money to hire enough people to process and filter them all.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #36 on: March 27, 2008, 02:24:32 AM »
But flunking each and every course is difficult if you're not silly.
I can't believe I have to tell you this, but it is extremely easy to flunk all your courses, if you quit caring, quit going, quit doing assignments, quit studying for tests, etc.  That would be a question of commitment and motivation.

Suggestion: Some people DO in fact like arrogant windbags. Other's don't.
Precisely.  That's why I said that one of those had to be wrong. 

grampster

• friend
« Reply #37 on: March 27, 2008, 04:56:11 AM »
 Most of the highly successful people I know, including yours truly, did not have a college degree.  Some of the biggest screw ups in my field had advanced degrees.

My personal view is that a college education is highly over valued unless one is training for a highly technical arena such as medicine.  Some of the best engineers that I came across were self taught.

Limbaugh is a highly skilled entertainer.  You might not like the guy, but he single handedly turned AM talk radio into a major communication device and destroyed the grip that the biased mainstream media had on our news.  He's also amusing to listen to.  Sometimes I get more laughs and enjoyment out of listening to Rush than watching comedy central.  He's the guy who points out that the King does not have on any clothes.  That is a valuable resource.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

ilbob

• friend
    • Bob's blog
« Reply #38 on: March 27, 2008, 06:53:45 AM »
Most of the highly successful people I know, including yours truly, did not have a college degree.  Some of the biggest screw ups in my field had advanced degrees.

My personal view is that a college education is highly over valued unless one is training for a highly technical arena such as medicine.  Some of the best engineers that I came across were self taught.

Limbaugh is a highly skilled entertainer.  You might not like the guy, but he single handedly turned AM talk radio into a major communication device and destroyed the grip that the biased mainstream media had on our news.  He's also amusing to listen to.  Sometimes I get more laughs and enjoyment out of listening to Rush than watching comedy central.  He's the guy who points out that the King does not have on any clothes.  That is a valuable resource.
I find that most people who do not like Limbaugh have not listened to his show enough to make any kind of judgment about it. Thats OK, if you don't want to listen to it, you can exercise your right to do something else during that 3 hours every weekday. However, people who have not listened to it much, are not really the best people to be commenting on a show that can be very subtle at times, while seeming to be anything but subtle.

I also find that a lot of people who claim to hate his show while also claiming to be "conservative" are really liberals, that do not want to admit to being liberals for some reason. if you listen to their diatribes against Limbaugh they often come across as being mostly against mainstream conservative values and principles, which makes me suspicious of their supposed conservatism.

You have to like a guy who can say things like "talent on loan from God" with a straight face. Many people think of such a comment as being an egotistical one. Someone who thinks more deeply might well understand there may well be more than a grain of truth to it.
bob

Disclaimers: I am not a lawyer, cop, soldier, gunsmith, politician, plumber, electrician, or a professional practitioner of many of the other things I comment on in this forum.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #39 on: March 27, 2008, 09:05:18 AM »
I'm sure Rush has a fairly substantial ego.  One has to have a good deal of self confidence to push his way to the top as he has.  He also uses that ego as part of his shtick.  That is part of the humor you get when you listen to him regularly.

On the other hand I've not run into too many folks who claim to despise Rush that didn't have ego grandification themselves.

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #40 on: March 27, 2008, 09:29:19 AM »
But flunking each and every course is difficult if you're not silly.

I can't believe I have to tell you this, but it is extremely easy to flunk all your courses, if you quit caring, quit going, quit doing assignments, quit studying for tests, etc.  That would be a question of commitment and motivation.

Mega-dittos fistful!  grin
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #41 on: March 27, 2008, 10:00:47 AM »
I don't have time to listen to Rush anymore, because he's on the air the same time as Thom Hartmann, who actually knows what he's talking about. 

And he doesn't go 'ummmm' every other sentence, like Rush and Hannity. 

ilbob

• friend
    • Bob's blog
« Reply #42 on: March 27, 2008, 11:25:15 AM »
I don't have time to listen to Rush anymore, because he's on the air the same time as Thom Hartmann, who actually knows what he's talking about. 
Since I never heard of him i was forced to google him. I am not surprised you would not like Limbaugh if you like left wing talk instead. To each his own.
bob

Disclaimers: I am not a lawyer, cop, soldier, gunsmith, politician, plumber, electrician, or a professional practitioner of many of the other things I comment on in this forum.

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #43 on: March 27, 2008, 11:49:21 AM »
If you would do more than look, label, and condemn, you might understand that this goes beyond a 'right-left' issue.  That it goes to the very core of the founding principles; that the 'common man' is the basis and reason for the very existence of the U.S.A. That increased productivity belongs to those who produced it, not solely to those who provided the capital, but also to those who provided the labor.

Read some of the writings by Theodore Roosevelt.  That will give you a start.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #44 on: March 27, 2008, 12:04:56 PM »
Hey, some people are not cut out for "school." But they still end up able to teach.

Personally, I think that the democrats, and their penchant for "organizational dynamics" is going to turn around and bite 'em... Hillary thought she had it tied up - she was running like an incumbent. Then Obama showed up... Young, sexy, etc... Young college women got turned on. Young college boys wanted to get laid, so they went along for the ride... That's going to get old tho...

Has anyone noticed that Obama has changed his speechifying style? He's no longer doing the preachin' rhythm...

Blog under construction

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #45 on: March 27, 2008, 12:15:58 PM »
That increased productivity belongs to those who produced it, not solely to those who provided the capital, but also to those who provided the labor.

So are you going to form a new Worker's Party now?  Please explain what you mean by that statement.  I can see it could go different ways. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #46 on: March 27, 2008, 12:21:46 PM »
Personally, I think Rush does a lot of things like the ego stuff because he knows it tweaks people who don't like him.  To me it is all party his way of staying positive and fun. 

I first listened to Rush in the early 90's when I was in college.  It was very refreshing to hear someone who had a basically conservative take on a lot of the issues of the day.  I have always leaned conservative and it was nice to hear that side.  There are lot of other sources for that these days. 

As far as disagreement, I am not Pro-Life so there were always some things I disagreed with from the very start.  His is just another opinion to take in while forming my own. 

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #47 on: March 27, 2008, 12:47:26 PM »
Dittos on Rush's ego, and the way he uses it for humorous purposes. 

I also find that a lot of people who claim to hate his show while also claiming to be "conservative" are really liberals, that do not want to admit to being liberals for some reason. if you listen to their diatribes against Limbaugh they often come across as being mostly against mainstream conservative values and principles, which makes me suspicious of their supposed conservatism.

That may be true in many cases, but there are plenty of conservatives who dis Limbaugh because they think it makes them seem more independent-minded, or more insightful.  As if agreeing with Limbaugh means letting him "tell you what to think."  There are others who just don't like his style. 

Limbaugh is a highly skilled entertainer.  You might not like the guy, but he single handedly turned AM talk radio into a major communication device and destroyed the grip that the biased mainstream media had on our news.

Regardless of political affiliation, everyone can thank Rush Limbaugh for one important achievement.  He is probably the one most responsible for America's skepticism toward media.  He was certainly not the first to claim that the media is biased, but he is one of the biggest proponents of the idea that the newspaper can be wrong, and the anchorman can lie to you.   And certainly our leftist friends can't disapprove of healthy skepticism toward voices of authority?   smiley

I've been meaning to ask who you've been parroting all this time. 

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #48 on: March 27, 2008, 02:32:06 PM »
Well, the simple fact that Limbaugh would even promote something like 'Operation Chaos' shows two things:

1) He has contempt for the representative process of democracy, which is why he attempts to subvert it.

2) He doesn't believe his 'philosophy' will succeed in the open marketplace of democracy.

That makes him a deceitful hypocrite.

Werewolf

• friend
  • Lead, Follow or Get the HELL out of the WAY!
« Reply #49 on: March 27, 2008, 02:38:51 PM »
That increased productivity belongs to those who produced it, not solely to those who provided the capital, but also to those who provided the labor.
Karl Marx couldn't have said it better himself. OH! Wait. He did say it or words to that effect.
Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love
truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.

Fight Me Online