Author Topic: Time to stop the insanity  (Read 2059 times)

telewinz

• friend
Time to stop the insanity
« on: August 10, 2005, 11:23:40 PM »
What does it take for Bush to give up on his BS "faith based" solutions and his one issue supporters to appreciate to meaning of "discretion is the better part of valor."  His second term is well on it's way to becoming a quagmire of incompetent leadership.  Just what are we going to gain by "staying the course?"  World respect? NO, A more stable middle east? NO, A free and secure Iraq? NO,  More American and Allied deaths? YES, record profits for the oil industry? YES.  

Updated: 12:41 a.m. ET Aug. 11, 2005
BAGHDAD, Aug. 10 - Iraq's leaders and military will be unable to lead the fight against insurgents until next summer at the earliest, a top U.S. military official said Wednesday, trying to temper any hopes that a full-scale American troop withdrawal was imminent as Iraq moves toward elections scheduled for December. Both Americans and Iraqis need "to start thinking about and talking about what it's really going to be like in Iraq after elections," said the military official, who spoke in an interview on the condition he not be named. "I think the important point is there's not going to be a fundamental change."  The official stressed that it was "important to calibrate expectations post-elections. I've been saying to folks: You're still going to have an insurgency, you're still going to have a dilapidated infrastructure, you're still going to have decades of developmental problems both on the economic and the political side."
Career Corrections

Bemidjiblade

• friend
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2005, 12:46:10 AM »
Oh brother.
Quote from: telewinz
His second term is well on it's way to becoming a quagmire of incompetent leadership.
The economy is improving.  Joblessness numbers are down.  There have been no new terrorist attacks on American soil.  He's led the country in prosecuting a years-long war with lower casualty numbers than ANY major battle in the Civil War, WWI, WWII, or Korea.  He's helped liberate two countries that were under brutal oppression of radical extremists.  All of which despite constant derisive opposition, unprecidented political opposition, and a press corps united against him.

Let's not forget the first minority woman in a REAL position of power.  Minority appointments to the federal bench that are blocked by obstructionist partisan politics, the introduction of an actual moral person to the UN at a time when the head of that organization was himself involved in illegal oil-for-arms deals with the same government we had to step in and take out...

Telewinz.  I have to thank you.  If you hadn't posted that, I might have gone two full days without a reminder that Bush haters are exactly that, haters, who scrape and scrabble for the thinnest things to justify their preconceptions.

If Bush is setting a "quagmire of incompetent leadership", then may I spend the rest of my life in such a quagmire.

griz

• friend
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2005, 03:50:32 AM »
Quote from: Telewinz
Just what are we going to gain by "staying the course?"  World respect? NO, A more stable middle east? NO, A free and secure Iraq? NO,  More American and Allied deaths? YES, record profits for the oil industry? YES.
Rhetoric aside, it would be irresponsible to leave Iraq now. And thats true no matter who is president. When you invade a country, remove its government, and eliminate its ability to defend itself, you have a moral responsibility to rebuild the mess you created. And that would be just as true if Kerry had won.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2005, 04:40:30 AM »
When you invade a country, remove its government, and eliminate its ability to defend itself, you have a moral responsibility to rebuild the mess you created.
Yup.  That's the only reason I support us being there.  Leaving now would be akin to taking a man's gun away and dropping him off in a bad neighborhood.

Chris

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2005, 05:58:37 AM »
Baiting
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Robert Sears

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2005, 12:02:25 PM »
How does GWB have any control over the price of oil hence the oil company profits. Id profit a dirty word?

Bob

telewinz

• friend
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2005, 01:34:38 PM »
Gee, I wonder how a avid Bush fan could do 180 degree about turn?  Must be the heat wave.
Career Corrections

brimic

• friends
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2005, 05:25:24 PM »
Time to stop the insanity.
LOL.

The only insanity is the endless bashing of presidents on both sides.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

The Rabbi

• friend
  • "Ahh, Jeez. Not this sh*t again!"
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2005, 06:25:55 PM »
Bush's presidency was bogged down in a quagmire before he took the oath of office, if you believe the press.
You can point to this or that failure, and there have certainly been some, but overall Bush gets very high ratings on all fronts.  His tax cuts have produced an unemployment rate that is the envy of other countries.  His foreign policy has protected us against terrorist attacks.  No, he will be remembered as one of the better presidents with a whole lot more "legacy" than William Jefferson Whatshisname.
Fight state-sponsored Islamic terrorism: Bomb France now!

Vote Libertarian: It Not Like It Matters Anyway.

jefnvk

• friend
  • I'll sleep away the days and ride the nights...
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2005, 07:00:43 PM »
Those who want his legacy to be a spoof, will see it and proclaim it as one.  Those that want it to be an astounding sucess, will see it and proclaim it as one.

I don't tend to pay much attention to either group.
I still say 'Give Detroit to Canada'

telewinz

• friend
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2005, 11:25:59 AM »
So I guess an educated electorate doesn't have an impact.  We vote just like a 3rd world country?
Career Corrections

griz

• friend
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2005, 02:01:27 PM »
I could be wrong, but after reading his posts it may be that confusion is his goal.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.