Author Topic: Some car questions...  (Read 5231 times)

mfree

• friend
Re: Some car questions...
« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2008, 06:31:07 AM »
Nitrogen isn't for weight. It's not for fires.

You fill your tires with nitrogen because there's no water vapor in it... temperature changes don't affect your tire pressure nearly as much, and the carcass lasts longer.

TF_FH

• friend
« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2008, 06:49:36 AM »
Nitrogen isn't for weight. It's not for fires.

You fill your tires with nitrogen because there's no water vapor in it... temperature changes don't affect your tire pressure nearly as much, and the carcass lasts longer.

Dangit, you beat me to it.
Additional Gee Whiz:    They use in aircraft tires because of the extreme temperatures that it faces and how water vapor would increase wear and blow out the tires.  Example, you are up there in a jet flying around.   It's freakin cold up there, and the water vapor inside the tires condenses, lowering your tire pressure.  You go to land, and your tires hit that runway and they instantly heat up a whole lot, espcially when you brake.  The condensed water in the tire with low pressure, now becomes steam inside of a tire with high pressure.  Not really good for the tire.  Do that enough and your tire will prematurely wear out compared to if it had just had pure nitrogen in it.

I think it's bullshit to pay money to get your tires filled with nitrogen...isn't oxygen something like 78% nitrogen anyway?

I would love to see your chemical formula.  N39O11

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2008, 06:55:49 AM »
isn't oxygen something like 78% nitrogen anyway?

Okay that has to be about the funniest thing I have read in a while.

Doh! I meant air- as in, the air you breath in, the air that is compressed by the compressor when you inflate your tires, etc.

One of the benefits of nitrogen in a high performance tire at high speed is that a blowout tends to self-extinguish any fire.

Huh. Didn't know that...

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

TMM

• friend
« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2008, 10:50:30 AM »
ah, thanks for the suggestions guys. I suspected that they were mostly BS, except for the CAI. if it were cheaper, i'd consider it (though the hydrolocking thing worries me)
~tmm