Author Topic: PETA wants your town to change it's name.  (Read 4625 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
PETA wants your town to change it's name.
« on: April 06, 2008, 08:40:37 PM »
From Wiki entry on People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals:

PETA regularly asks towns and cities whose names, in its view, are suggestive of animal exploitation to change their names. In April 2003, they offered free veggie burgers to the city of Hamburg, New York, in exchange for changing its name to Veggieburg; the town declined the offer. PETA also campaigned in 1996 to have the town of Fishkill, New York, change its name, claiming the name suggests cruelty to fish. (The root "kill", found in many New York town names, is Dutch for "creek".)[136] In October 2003, the group urged the town of Rodeo, California, to change its name because it invokes images of the sport of rodeo, which they claim is harmful to animals. As a replacement name, they suggested Unity, an acknowledgment of Union Oil's role in saving the area economically in the late 19th century. PETA offered to donate $20,000 worth of veggie burgers to local schools if the name was changed. The town declined.[137]

"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

SomeKid

Re: PETA wants your town to change it's name.
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2008, 09:04:35 PM »
If I ever got the chance, I would found a township,

Animaltortureisfun. See how they like THAT!

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2008, 09:09:43 PM »
they suggested Unity, an acknowledgment of Union Oil's role in saving the area economically

Surprising, you would have to think that an oil company would be at the top of the list of bad guys for groups like PETA.

But then again PETA could be a good group.

People
Eating
Tasty
Animals
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

LadySmith

• friends
  • Veni, Vidi, Jactavi Calceos
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2008, 10:03:34 PM »
PETA is to animal welfare what gov't assistance is to self-sufficiency.
Rogue AI searching for amusement and/or Ellie Mae imitator searching for critters.
"What doesn't kill me makes me stronger...and it also makes me a cat-lover" - The Viking
According to Ben, I'm an inconvenient anomaly (and proud of it!).

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2008, 10:06:06 PM »
If I ever got the chance, I would found a township,

Animaltortureisfun. 

No, let's call it VeggieBurg.   
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2008, 01:24:51 AM »
I'd be good with changing my town's name to "Carnivore"....  grin
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2008, 10:51:16 AM »
The problem is that they keep offering them free veggie burgers. 

When even my dog won't eat them, you know their pretty bad. 
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2008, 11:00:15 AM »
I'd be more than willing to change the name of my town to PETA Sucks, FU PETA, or PISS PETA OFF EAT AN ANIMAL...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Declaration Day

• friends
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2008, 02:01:11 PM »
$20,000 worth of veggie burgers?  WTF?  Do they have ANY idea what the administrative costs would be to change a town's name?  It would cost at least that much just to replace the old business cards and letterhead!

Finch

• Fading Freedoms
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2008, 05:40:11 PM »
One of my greatest moments ever...

At UNLV, they hold a little fair for Earth Day. Of course PETA sets up a booth and badgers people with propaganda and lies. Well, me and a buddy of mine though it would be funny if we set up our own booth right next to them. We called ourselves PETP - People for the Ethical Treatment of Plants. We tried to convince people that more lives are taken when you eat a salad than when you eat a burger, among various other jabs at the froth that comes from a PETA members mouth.

Well, PETA complained and we got shut down because we didn't have permission to set up a booth from the event director. Whatever. So we went to In-n-Out and got a couple of Double Cheeseburgers each and just sat in front of the booth eating that delicious bounty of red meat.
Truth is treason in the empire of lies - Ron Paul

DJJ

• friend
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2008, 06:10:04 PM »
You joke about PETP, but I had a boss who was not just a vegetarian, she wouldn't eat a plant product if it involved killing the plant. No carrots, no tubers, etc. However, she would eat dairy products as long as she could be assured the cows were free range.

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2008, 10:33:55 PM »

At UNLV, they hold a little fair for Earth Day. Of course PETA sets up a booth and badgers people with propaganda and lies. Well, me and a buddy of mine though it would be funny if we set up our own booth right next to them. We called ourselves PETP - People for the Ethical Treatment of Plants. We tried to convince people that more lives are taken when you eat a salad than when you eat a burger, among various other jabs at the froth that comes from a PETA members mouth.

Well, PETA complained and we got shut down because we didn't have permission to set up a booth from the event director. Whatever. So we went to In-n-Out and got a couple of Double Cheeseburgers each and just sat in front of the booth eating that delicious bounty of red meat.

cheesy

You joke about PETP, but I had a boss who was not just a vegetarian, she wouldn't eat a plant product if it involved killing the plant. No carrots, no tubers, etc. However, she would eat dairy products as long as she could be assured the cows were free range.

shocked 
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

member1313

« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2008, 11:09:36 PM »
PETA has funded the fire bombing of various laboratories in the past. Any group, not matter how noble they think their cause is, is not justified in committing domestic terrorism.

LadySmith

• friends
  • Veni, Vidi, Jactavi Calceos
Rogue AI searching for amusement and/or Ellie Mae imitator searching for critters.
"What doesn't kill me makes me stronger...and it also makes me a cat-lover" - The Viking
According to Ben, I'm an inconvenient anomaly (and proud of it!).

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2008, 04:34:14 AM »

You are Da MAN!

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2008, 06:20:02 AM »
in the last NRA magizine there was an article about how PETA was killing dogs.

anyway, i'm not a big fan of animal rights wackos. and not just because their wackos.

a friend and me heard about a protest at KFC, so we decided to go down there, and have KFC for lunch. she even borrowed one of my leather coats. we were planning on taunting them with tasty chicken. BUT THEY WERN'T THERE!!! those people can not schedule well.

we still had fried chicken for lunch though. and it was good.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2008, 07:45:46 AM »

My brother and his girlfriend did the same sort of thing.  There was a PETA booth at a concert, playing slaughterhouse video.  They walked across the street to Karl's Junior, and got Double Bigass Western Bacon Cheesburgers.  And ate them sitting on the ground next to the booth.

TF_FH

• friend
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2008, 08:01:18 AM »
in the last NRA magizine there was an article about how PETA was killing dogs.

anyway, i'm not a big fan of animal rights wackos. and not just because their wackos.

a friend and me heard about a protest at KFC, so we decided to go down there, and have KFC for lunch. she even borrowed one of my leather coats. we were planning on taunting them with tasty chicken. BUT THEY WERN'T THERE!!! those people can not schedule well.

we still had fried chicken for lunch though. and it was good.

Not only did you get my mind set on wanting some fried chicken for lunch, you also reminded me of some of their stupid KFC protest crap.

Last I checked, some groups were using "buckets o' blood" which was supposed to look like a kids meal, but when you looked inside it was fake mutilated chicken or some *expletive deleted*it.  If they can't convince the parents, I guess its ok to scare and frighten children.  That being said, I hope PETA accidently sets their own building on fire.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2008, 08:04:25 AM »
PETA seems to be exercising some . . . discretion . . . in their public protests in recent years.

Quite some time ago, when I was living in PROM (People's Republic of Minnesota) there were some incidents involving PETA types throwing red paint on people wearing fur coats. I heard about one incident in which an elderly couple were walking in Minneapolis when a female PETA type staged this type of assault, and followed it up by knocking down the old woman who broke something when she fell.

Little did the PETA woman know that the 30-something man coming up the sidewalk was the son of the elderly couple (he'd been parking the car) and who'd just seen his folks assaulted and his mom knocked down.

He didn't like that.

As I heard it, the PETA woman spent some time in intensive care for various and sundry internal injuries and was going to need extensive (the cop I heard it from emphasized "extensive") reconstructive facial surgery . . . after which she would be facing assault and other charges.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2008, 08:22:18 AM »
HankB: Serves that PETA critter right. If there's any people on earth who deserves all kinds of misfortunes, including but not limited to gang rape by horse, repeated lightning strikes (oh Mighty Thor, ruler of lightning, hear my humble request!)  and being forced to watch Rosie O'Donnell's private sex tapes, it's the PETA critters...

Oh, and while PETA want's various towns and cities to change their names, it aint going to happen. I want to date Kat Von D, but that aint going to happen either.

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2008, 10:09:36 AM »
As I heard it, the PETA woman spent some time in intensive care for various and sundry internal injuries and was going to need extensive (the cop I heard it from emphasized "extensive") reconstructive facial surgery . . . after which she would be facing assault and other charges.

Maybe part of the reason they've stopped doing so much of that is the spread of CCW laws - it could be argued that some richie might produce a gun and shoot one of them on the basis that he or she couldn't be sure that it was only paint they were going to throw, along with, as you say, they frequently follow up with even more violence.

I still find the 'Why doesn't PETA ever go toss paint on biker's leathers in a bar?' funny though.

That and, while I haven't heard of it, I'm sure at least a few PETA morons got hit with multiple thousand dollar fines/restitutions in court for their actions.  Personally, I'd contract with a fur company for a replacement with a specification that I get the heads seperately - to give to the PETA guy forced to pay for the new coat, 'THESE are the animals that died because you ruined my last coat'.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2008, 10:13:07 AM »
Supposedly in New York city some years ago a PETA or anti-fur nut threw paint on a woman. Her companion proceded to throw the protestor THROUGH a plate glass window, causing severe injuries.

True or not, I don't know.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2008, 10:29:22 AM »
erves that PETA critter right. If there's any people on earth who deserves all kinds of misfortunes, including but not limited to gang rape by horse, repeated lightning strikes (oh Mighty Thor, ruler of lightning, hear my humble request!)  and being forced to watch Rosie O'Donnell's private sex tapes, it's the PETA critters...

You are a sick, sick person, Viking. Where do you come up with stuff like this?

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2008, 12:19:29 PM »
dad heard about a PETA protest one year. the protesters went to a theater showing 'the nutcracker' for christmas and would accost people in fur coats and calling them killers. the thing was it was a matinee and a lot of people had young children with them, and the kids got pretty upset.

on a side note, i'd like to see them throw paint on one of dads leather coats. it would be funny to see a 5'4 55 year old man with one eye beat some dumb kids butt.  laugh
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2008, 12:25:26 PM »
erves that PETA critter right. If there's any people on earth who deserves all kinds of misfortunes, including but not limited to gang rape by horse, repeated lightning strikes (oh Mighty Thor, ruler of lightning, hear my humble request!)  and being forced to watch Rosie O'Donnell's private sex tapes, it's the PETA critters...

You are a sick, sick person, Viking. Where do you come up with stuff like this?

Divine inspiration? angel. Thought it would be a suiting punishment for their stupidity. That is only the beginning of their misery though. Mwahahah!