Author Topic: Talk to a newbie about motorcycles  (Read 7453 times)

Norton

• friend
Talk to a newbie about motorcycles
« on: August 12, 2005, 12:35:24 PM »
With the future looking pretty bleak with regards to gas prices, I figure I'm going to have to consider a motorcycle as part of a solution to avoid going broke getting back and forth to work.  We're going to be paring down our stable of vehicles from 4 to two over the next few months, but that would leave me with the Jeep Liberty as a daily driver and it only gets 20 mpg.

Trouble is, I know about as little about bikes as a person can and want to get as broad a base of knowledge as I can before I commit to doing this.

Some considerations:

I want to use this as a commuter.....not into long distance touring or offroading.  I just need to be able to get me and my briefcase/laptop to work, class and running errands.  I'll leave hauling the musical instruments to the other vehicles.

Biggest issue is that I'm 6'7" and figure that most "beginner bikes" are going to be fairly uncomfortable.....especially trying to get my size 15's into the clutch and brake pedals.

I want a bike that is reliable, cheap to operate, cheap to purchase and fuel efficient.  I don't envision myself getting into "the lifestyle" though I'm sure that will change as I get bitten by the bug.  :-)

I know P95Carry rides, so hopefully Chris will contribute his thoughts.

Norton

• friend
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2005, 12:40:05 PM »
Fogot to add....I drive about 60 miles a day round trip with some weekly excursions to class and side jobs that would add around 40-50 miles on those days.  Getting a job closer to home isn't viable as of now because the local school district would only credit me with 9 of my 17 years of teaching.  That, coupled with a lower pay scale, would cost me $12-15k a year so I'm stuck where I am for the near term future.

Phyphor

• friend
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2005, 09:03:20 PM »
Well, there's several different things here,

Now, I'm NO EXPERT on riding motorcycles, there's guys here who've been doing it for many years longer than I have, but I'll tell ya what little I know.

They DO make motorcycles w/an automatic transmission, if you want them.   Obviously, this isn't as good on gas as the manual shifted bikes.

The clutch on a motorcycle will usually be your left "handbrake" .. a lever you squeeze to disengage the clutchplates, (IIRc, motorcycles use a multi-disk clutchpack, as opposed to a single-disk dry plate, like cars, )
the shifter for he manual bikes will usually be by your left foot.  The bike I ride (a friend's) is a 5 speed, 1 down, 4 up.  (Meaning ,from neutral, to get to first, I kick the shifter down, then to go to 2nd and on up, the lever is kicked up.  It works just like a ratchet, )

You shouldn't have any problem finding a bike that'll fit you.
"You know what's messed-up about taxes?
You don't even pay taxes. They take tax.
You get your check, money gone.
That ain't a payment, that's a jack." - Chris Rock "Bigger and Blacker"
He slapped his rifle. "This is one of the best arguments for peace there is. Nobody wants to shoot if somebody is going to shoot back. " Callaghen, Callaghen, Louis La'mour

Norton

• friend
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2005, 11:32:30 PM »
Phyphor,

Thanks for the info....fortunately I've only ever driven stickshift cars (well, at least since 1989) so I don't think I'd even consider an automatic on a bike.  However, it might be a problem getting those big ol' feet in there.

Nathaniel Firethorn

• friend
  • Extra Thorny
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2005, 01:33:01 AM »
A bike is the right size if you can comfortably flatfoot it with only a little room in your crotch.

Touring bikes are the most comfortable, with roadbikes a good second. I'd stay away from cruisers and sportbikes if you're looking for a comfortable commute.

Take the MSF class before you go shopping. Get the review issues of www.mcnews.com" target="_blank">Motorcycle Consumer News for the bikes you're interested in.

Since you're a beginning rider, you might want to look at a used (or Pre-Dropped Cheesy ) bike.

If there's one in your area, visiting a bike show is a good way to go shopping. There are two types of bike shows: the comprehensive big-city ones and the little ones that show only Harleys and the myriad Harley mods. You want the former.

Unfortunately, a Norton is probably not a good bet for you. Wink

- NF
Give up no state. Give up no ground.

http://www.njcsd.org

Norton

• friend
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2005, 02:13:45 AM »
Quote from: Nathaniel Firethorn
A bike is the right size if you can comfortably flatfoot it with only a little room in your crotch.
Yikes......that's going to be one tall bike for my 38" inseam.  My FIL has a bike...I think it's a type of Suzuki....sort of looks like a "Harley Light"....maybe I'll try that one on for size.

cfabe

• friend
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2005, 05:33:50 AM »
MSF class... definately take this. I just took it last weekend, excellent class, extremely good for a beginning rider.

I'm more into sportbikes, and they're not a good choice for commuting. Probably a standard or cruiser would be your best bet.

DrAmazon

• friend
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2005, 07:29:30 AM »
As for height, remember that the bike is also wide, not like a 10 speed, so it won't have to be as tall as you're thinking.   Definitely take the MSF course, then just go sit on things and see how they fit.  It's just like buying a pistol or rifle, you've got to be able to reach all of the controls and be comfortable.  Most motorcycle stores are a lot like good gun stores, you're free to browse, most salespeople are helpful and know what theyr'e talking about.  If not, go find another.  To see all of the brands available you'll probably have to go to about 3 places-Harley and BMW dealerships tend to carry their brand and maybe 1 or 2 others.  

Some bikes have different height seats.  I ride a BWM F650CS for exactly the purposes you are talking about.  (A bit expensive for a first bike, but worth it!)  It has 3 heights of seats, the tall one is about 2cm higher than the standard.  I'm 6'0" with a 34 inch inseam and I'm quite comfy on my 650.  

I had a more experienced friend do my test riding for me.  I didn't feel experienced enough to ride anything that wasn't mine.  After a year, I still don't!

A secondary thing to consider is how much stuff you'll want to carry around on it, and what the baggage options are.  I wish I had locking side bags, but I've got removable soft luggage that converts into backpacks.  Laptop and work clothes fit in perfectly.
Experiment with a chemist!

BillBlank

• friend
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2005, 07:41:24 AM »
Honda CB 500 from about 98 onwards. Thise things are cheap to run and drop and will keep going and going even under the most awful milages. I see a lot of them being used in london as despatch bikes so they must be tough. Plenty of aftermarket luggage options too.

What DRAmazon said about trying lots on for size.
Just so happens Satan's behind the bar pulling the late shift for a buddy...

P95Carry

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2005, 09:16:16 AM »
Hey Paul - just saw this.

First off - you don't need any crotch rocket! - but you do need to take the basic class - must have good roadcraft and handling sorted out as a priority.  Remember you have to ride as if everyone on the road is out to get you!

I would personally recommend a used cruiser as I doubt you will literally ''fit'' any bike at all and the center of mass is lower too!  I say cruiser because that way you could add highway pegs which means you can stretch legs out more open road.  Harley will set you back way too much cash but - one of the rice burner equivalents could suit well.  Some of the V twins come as small as 650cc - and most Jap Co's make cruisers now.  Start perusing ad's and see what is there for age and price.  Suzuki, Kawasaki, Honda, Yamaha.

It sounds tho as if you'll possibly ride all weathers - well nearly.  I did this when I went back to University in '92 - three years of 2 wheels only - all weather stuff.  You must have reasonable protective clothing that will keep you warm when it's cooler, and dry when wet.  Seems obvious but this takes cash too - and you need reasonable quality stuff too.

Helmet - make that full face - better in crap weather.  Also consider a device (if obtainable here) which is a small slip-over-finger rubber dealie that works like a small windshield wiper blade - great for keeping visor clear in wet.

I also recommend a good windshield on a bike used all weathers.  There are many variables Paul - and after my approx 100k miles of biking over the years - cannot remember them all at once to write down.  If it helps at all - let me know if you want my tel# - and I'd be more than willing to chat and answer best I can questions you may have now and later.  There is much to decide, and carefully.

Best
Chris - P95
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.
Rohrbaugh interest/ownership? - Rohrbaugh Forum Rohrbaugh R9 FAQ Site

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2005, 12:52:35 PM »
If you're getting a bike for economy, a Harley is out. Costly to buy, and costly to maintain. (I've owned a couple).

One bike that I would recommend is the Honda ST 1100. It's light, very agile, quiet, smooth, and comfortable. It's probably one of the best all-purpose bikes I've ever seen.

As others have mentioned, take the MSF course. The more you learn, the safer you'll be.

Whatever you do, please don't buy a 125cc bike and put an orange milk crate on the back. That just drives me nuts. Wink

P95Carry

« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2005, 02:06:56 PM »
Paul - speaking with an ol' bud of mine back in UK - we were talking 650-750 size re cruisers .. meaning as I said before that'd have to be Jap'.

I think all these have been around long enough to find as, say, five year olds and so if not too high mileage - possible good deals. ...........

Yam' ''Dragstar'' - might be different name here - my last ride I saw what could have been one and the guy got about 56 mpg's.

Yam' ''Virago'' - good solid thumper.

Kawasaki ''Vulcan'' 750.

All just suggestions to use when scanning ad's etc.
Chris - P95

...has left the building.

« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2005, 03:20:33 PM »
I just started a month or two ago and I went with a Ninja 250R. It gets 60mpg and I use it to commute unless it is raining. I plan on buying a 636 or ZZR-600 next spring. Obviously I'm a sportbike rider.

I don't know if a full-on cruiser would be the best choice for commuting, I'd rather have something small and light. But I would not recommend the 250R just because of your height. I would look for a naked or standard bike (like the Suzuki SV-650 or Honda 599). Compare these to the aforementioned cruisers (I would also add the Suzuki Boulevard line to your list to look at) and see which ones fit your body better by just sitting on them at dealerships.

P95Carry

« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2005, 03:31:03 PM »
Daniel - I thought of Boulevard - which is quite large tho it like some other cruisers would allow for setting up to fit - adding highway pegs etc - but I doubt on the used market it is ''old enough'' yet.

I would personally say a big NO to an SV650 - great bike, my son had one but no way IMO is anyone going want to commute on that - riding partly on wrists - of pauls height!!  No way Jose.

The reason I keep saying cruiser is that if motor not too huge then MPG's will be good and - above all - the fit aspect.  I have a VTX 1300 and am 6'.00" - suits me good and have had someone of 6'.4" sit on and it worked for them - again - for distance, open road - highway pegs do help a whole lot with long legs.

My last bike was a Suzuki GS1000G - great touring bike but center of mass higher and less relaxing to use, tho great performance.

Anyways - naturally all our opinions vary.
Chris - P95

...has left the building.

« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2005, 04:51:22 PM »
Chris,

I defer any 2-wheel wisdom to you Wink 2 months under my belt so far and I'm addicted! Regarding the Boulevards, I'm pretty sure they're just rebadged Volusia/Marauder/etc. right? I'm 5'5" so I have the exact opposite situation that you guys have.

saxman357

« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2005, 11:15:45 AM »
Check out a 650cc dualsport for fit - they tend to have seat heights around 34" or so.  Either the Kawasaki KLR650 or Suzuki DR650 will be inexpensive, reliable and get good mileage (the KLR is the taller of the 2, BTW).  Cheap as hell to insure too.  I just picked up a DR650 about a month ago and am in the process of equipping it for touring.  With my 31" inseam, I can touch the ball of one foot at a stop - these bikes should fit you much better.

Edit:  Yes, they are marketed for off-road/adventure use, but rest assured the 650s are great city bikes.  Compared to the CB750 I'm used to, the DR650 is simply amazing as a commuter.

Norton

• friend
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2005, 05:18:07 PM »
Thanks all for the great info....sorry I've been slow to respond....the computer melted down over the weekend and I just got it rebuilt.  Then we started school today.

I've pretty consistently heard suggestions for the Suzuki DR650, so i may try to take a look at those.  Gas just topped $3 in the next county over, so i guess we'll be there by the end of the week.

Norton

• friend
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2005, 01:26:05 AM »
I took a look around the Suzuki site and it looks like the FIL must have a Boulevard series bike.  They look pretty nice.  Anyone have experience with those?

Suzuki has a "starter" bike priced around $3200 new: http://www.suzukicycles.com/Products/GZ250K5/Default.aspx

That could probably be found used (pre-dropped :-) )for quite a bit less

The Blulevard series (listed as a crusier) and the GZ250K5 (labelled a standard) look pretty similar.  What constitutes a "cruiser" vs a "standard"?

P95Carry

« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2005, 05:16:31 AM »
Paul - not totally familiar with all models at all but one thing - AFAIK the Boulevard has quite a big motor - not sure what smallest option is but - probably well over my suggested 650cc region for you to start with and - get good figures.

For me - ''cruiser'' means usually a V twin with quite low center of mass - fairly long wheelbase and good wide seat etc.  Plus they will take highway pegs.  I then think of ''Tourer'' which is what I called my GS1000G - a four cyl, somewhat higher center of mass and maybe not quite a comfortable - tho I did huge miles on it, including with Mrs on board.

I think you have to consider (as you know) the ''fit'' angle, which is why I talk cruisers - and economy.  A compromize.  You will tho IMO have to go sit on some varieties and see how they feel.  If you can get a fair deal on a good used, it'll save you quite a bit over showroom new.
Chris - P95

Werewolf

• friend
  • Lead, Follow or Get the HELL out of the WAY!
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2005, 05:24:47 AM »
IMO a 650cc bike just will not be big enough or powerful enough for a big guy like you. I'd suggest a cruiser in the 1000 cc plus range. It will carry your weight better and depending on the make and model generally have a higher seat height.

You mentioned that you will be traveling 60 miles round trip. Unless that is all on city streets you need a bike that will carry your weight and have the juice to handle freeway traffic. 30 miles on a small bike is no picnic anyway - especially on a smaller bike with a huge guy like you riding it.

And you may just discover you like riding enough to take some longer trips on you MC. If that turns out to be the case you'll want 1000 cc+. Hell - I'm a little guy (5'7") and I find that my Honda Aero 750 isn't really big enough to be comfortable on a measly 50 mile one way trip.

In a nutshell for a guy as large as you are get the biggest bike you can afford and that you can handle (I know a 110 lb woman that rides a Honda VTX 1300 - and does it well).
Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love
truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.

Fight Me Online

P95Carry

« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2005, 05:39:57 AM »
(I know a 110 lb woman that rides a Honda VTX 1300 - and does it well).
haha - last run I had out on my (seemed small) VTX 1300 - a slim chick climbed off a darned Triumph Rocket!!  That bike is near as big as a Valk".

True tho yeah - maybe forget mpg's a bit and up power - I was only thinking of economy factors.  I reckon Paul could ride quite comfortably on my VTX with highway pegs - I am 6.00 and 200# and actually on a real lazy run, and with wife on board - get almost 50 mpg's anyways.  I am happy with that. Smiley
Chris - P95

CatsDieNow

• friend
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2005, 06:45:57 AM »
Newbies shouldn't start out on bikes with big motors until their riding skills improve.  Recipie for disaster...see any of my previous ramblings on the topic.

Norton:  I am not a cruiser fan, but the same principle applies just with more chome and less carbon fiber.  Get a smaller CC, used bike.  You probably need a bit more since the bike is heavier, but I would imagine 750cc is more than enough for a cruiser and 500cc for a sportbike.

Beginner bikes (with pictures):

http://www.beginnerandbeyond.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=380&highlight=&sid=bdee3bf0fbe9ab325f23616dfce67dc3

DrAmazon

• friend
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2005, 02:27:12 PM »
I ride a 650cc and have zero problem with its power.  I have no problem zipping up to 80 mph (too chicken to go faster) and that was at altitude.
Experiment with a chemist!

Strings

« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2005, 05:18:29 PM »
Norton: don't know what your financial situation is, but I would suggest getting whatever the heck you can afford right now (to learn on), then look at buying new sometime between mid-December and mid-Febuary. Couple years back, BMW had a deal going on their previous year's models: $0 down, 0% apr for 5 years, and they'd make your first three payments. That was on an R1150RS, priced around $7K...

Me... I'm 5'9", and started on a Kaw ZL600. Worked fine (and now does for my wife). Picked up a '76 Goldwing (which I'm STILL thinking of painting battleship grey, and stenciling a hull number on the fairing: that's how it handles). Assuming that I get the contract I just finished samples for, I'll be dropping the Hondpotomus for a Triumph Speedmaster...

Norton

• friend
« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2005, 10:45:31 PM »
Hunter,

I'm going to buy used, I'm pretty sure.  Since I'm going to use this as a "gas buster" I want to make my capital outlay as small as possible.  If I can get something for $1-2k I'll be happy.