Author Topic: Talk to a newbie about motorcycles  (Read 7454 times)

Antibubba

• friend
Talk to a newbie about motorcycles
« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2005, 11:44:20 PM »
i've been thinking along the same lines as Norton, about two-wheeled economy transportation.  What about a scooter?  how do they differ in the riding/
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

Phyphor

• friend
« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2005, 10:32:03 AM »
Is there any shops near you that work on motorcycles?  If so, any used bike you find, you should see about taking it to a shop and having it inspected.  This not only may save you from losing a court case (in case something goes wrong with the bike, ) but it'll also give you peace of mind, knowing that it's not gonna blow a headgasket or otherwise conk out on you.
"You know what's messed-up about taxes?
You don't even pay taxes. They take tax.
You get your check, money gone.
That ain't a payment, that's a jack." - Chris Rock "Bigger and Blacker"
He slapped his rifle. "This is one of the best arguments for peace there is. Nobody wants to shoot if somebody is going to shoot back. " Callaghen, Callaghen, Louis La'mour

Strings

« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2005, 11:16:16 AM »
That was kinda the reason I suggested going for the "last-year's model" new bike. Saves money on some of the stuff tht can go wrong with a used bike (as I'm QUITE well aware of). Of course, you have to decide what you can afford...

Norton

• friend
« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2005, 01:23:20 PM »
You make a good point.  Afterall, the bikes marketed as "starters" really aren't all that expensive.....usually something starting with a 3 in the price.  At a 40 mpg difference (assuming I can squeeze out 60mpg) I could really make up that cost quickly if I rode as much as i hope.

Strings

« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2005, 06:04:14 PM »
Also remember: the smaller BMWs are cheaper than the R1150s. Besdies: Beemers run damn near forever...

Norton

• friend
« Reply #30 on: August 19, 2005, 10:25:28 AM »
Well, I got a chance to go sit on some bikes today at the local dealer that handles Suzuki, Yamaha and Kawasaki.

Some oberservations:

I used to think bikers were burly because it looked cool.  Now I know it's because motorcycles are HEAVY.  My legs are tired just from trying them on.

Most the cruisers were decidedly uncomfortable with the exception of one Suzuki that had straight bars.  I'll have to check again on  the model.

I found that I liked the sport tour platforms a lot.  Let me "stretch out" yet still sit up straight.  I'm a little concerned about the power of these as it seems they hover around the 125-150 horsepower level.....but man they were comfortable.

They had a used Suzuki bandit for $2900 and it felt pretty nice......hmmmph, decisions, decisions.....

« Reply #31 on: October 14, 2005, 11:46:15 PM »
Norton,

I've been looking into the bike vs. car issue as well, for many of the same reasons. In particular the Suzuki Marauder 250. This is a 'standard' as opposed to a 'cruiser' due to the engine size. Many riders also comment that bikes of 250cc or less are 'under powered' - if you're in a tight spot you may not have the power to get yourself out of it.

You need to weigh up the cost of gas savings to the expenses of engine wear and tear and maintenance. You'll find (I think) that the miles you want to do will add a lot of engine wear to a bike under 250cc which will offset your gas savings. Part of your initial outlay also has to allow for the gear, it is pointless and uncomfortable wearing cheap gear that doesn't keep you dry and warm.

Go for a good second hand bike at about the 250cc range, ride it for a year and then move on to something larger. All going well you won't need to spend a lot on the consumables, will get the required road experience, will have ridden in all seasons and saved yourself gas money. You'll then be ready to move up to a larger bike or have a rough idea what your future ongoing costs are going be. Good luck with it.

Smith

• friend
« Reply #32 on: October 15, 2005, 04:09:43 AM »
Norton, I didn't reply to this when the thread was in "full swing" becuase I had not started riding yet, but now I have.  I am considerably smaller than you (5'8" at 175lbs) and I chose the Ninja 500R.  Now, that's a sport bike and too small for you (physically speaking, not speed-wise).  The bike fits ME perfectly, was used, and isn't so powerful that I do stupid things without even knowing I'm doing them.  

I said all that to say this:  Don't expect your first bike to be your last...OR...resign yourself now to riding a "beginner" bike forever.  The reason I say this is because I am SO glad I got a bike that fit me well, was used, and was not super powerful.  I learn every day, and that makes me a better rider, but I dropped the bike in my garage the FIRST day I had it.  If it had been new, I would have felt really bad.  As it was, I still felt bad, but was really glad that the first owner had already scuffed the spots that I re-scuffed.

One more thing.  I agree with P95Carry, a cruiser will probably fit you well...BUT you should check REAL MPG results from owners before buying because I can't see how some of those big cruisers (or sport tourers) are very fuel efficient.  My little Ninja gets 50 MPG.

Buy a bike that fits.
Buy used.
Buy a few years old.
Buy something that does what you want (good gas mileage).
Do NOT buy out of excitement or passion.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #33 on: October 15, 2005, 04:15:48 AM »
If I can get something for $1-2k I'll be happy.
I guess that leaves the Beemers out. Cheesy

I almost bought one a few years back, way better price than the HD. And from touring with a Navy buddy on the back of his 900 I developed a great respect for them. Unfortunately I feel it is WAY too congested up here in the northeast these days to ride a bike. You really are taking your life into your own hands. Too many idiots out there to watch out for. I've lost a few friends to them too. Some being stupid, some not.
Avoid cliches like the plague!

atek3

• friend
    • http://www.geocities.com/atek128/Welcome.html
« Reply #34 on: October 15, 2005, 09:17:38 AM »
I would personally say a big NO to an SV650 - great bike, my son had one but no way IMO is anyone going want to commute on that - riding partly on wrists - of pauls height!!  No way Jose.

I commute about 250 miles a week on an SV650S, stock clipons, and higher rearsets.  It took a few weeks to get used to it coming from a GS500, but it's fine, just you just need to learn to grip the tank with your thighs so you don't support your torso weight with your wrists.  I picked an SV650S because I wanted a good compromise for all the things I do, twisties, track day, commuting, light touring.  If I was more focused on commuting, I'd probably be riding either a KLR650, street plated XR650 (with 17" talon's and street tires), or SV650 standard with dirt bars.  

Here in california lane splitting, is both legal and common place, meaning that commuters place a premium on narrowness and stability at low speed.

If I had a dollar for every time I saw someone on a huge cruiser teetering between cars and banging ones rearview I'd be rich.

If I were 6'7" for a SECOND bike, I'd really consider the Buell Ulysses, talk about a cool bike.

very mad max-y.

atek3

Felonious Monk/Fignozzle

« Reply #35 on: October 15, 2005, 12:23:33 PM »
Norton,
"Suzuki has a "starter" bike priced around $3200 new: http://www.suzukicycles.com/Products/GZ & fault.aspx

That could probably be found used (pre-dropped :-) )for quite a bit less"

You just HAD to post this???
Now I'm getting the bug...AAAArrrrgggghhhh.  Oh, and the Yamaha/Star Virago, and the Honda Rebel/Nighthawk, and the...and the...
Me?? A BIKER???
Lord help us all.  :/

Norton

• friend
« Reply #36 on: October 16, 2005, 12:22:35 PM »
Thanks for the continued info, folks.

I've been taking the time to go and sit on a BUNCH of bikes as time allows.  What I've discovered is that there are no cruisers under 1100cc that I feel physically comfortable on.  

What I have discovered, however, is that the Yamaha FZ6 fit like a glove....sport cruiser with an upright style, long leg room, long reach for upper body.

Anyone have any experience with these critters?

atek3

• friend
    • http://www.geocities.com/atek128/Welcome.html
« Reply #37 on: October 16, 2005, 12:43:45 PM »
FZ6's are great second bikes.  The engine is a slightly detuned engine from Yamaha's top drawer sport bike the R6, meaning the engine is peaky and makes ~100 hp.  That's a LOT of power, the power doesn't come on smoothly like a single cylinder or twin, instead it creeps up on you, then you crack the throttle a bit more and the horsepower essentially doubles, an exciting experience, but not "noob-friendly" Smiley

Also FZ6's aren't that cheap, trust me, it's better to drop a thousand dollar bike than a five thousand dollar bike.

atek3

P95Carry

« Reply #38 on: October 16, 2005, 03:49:39 PM »
Keep searching Paul - must be soon you'll find your Nirvana!
Chris - P95
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.
Rohrbaugh interest/ownership? - Rohrbaugh Forum Rohrbaugh R9 FAQ Site

Smith

• friend
« Reply #39 on: October 17, 2005, 01:25:49 AM »
Norton, part (a big part) of the problem is (I think) one particular event that can easily send you to the hospital/grave.  The bad thing about bikes is that the throttle is on the handle bar.  You hang onto the handlebar to pilot the darn thing.  If you accidentally give it too much gas, your body (upper body anyway) is thrown rearward.  Actually, your boday stays in relatively the same place and the bike surges ahead...and since your hands didn't move, you unintentionally roll on even MORE throttle, and the bike goes faster and faster and faster as the newbie just tries to pull himself back up to his riding position so he can steer.  (This is how I did a wheelie at my MSF class on a 250).  The more powerful the bike the more dynamic this effect is and you truly have to "learn" to anticipate this.  If the throttle is hugely increased by you trying to "hang on" under hard accelleration, you will surely be putting equal force on the handlebar and will likely go very fast and very straight right into something.  I think this is the biggest reason people suggest a lower powerered bike for beginners.  You just plain forget about the thing's ability to launch out from under you, you roll on some throttle, then you feel the bike trying to "get away from you" and as you try to pull yourself back up, you roll on even more throttle, initiating a cycle of actions.  Good luck and please don't buy an 1100 as your first bike.  

P95Carry, do you think he'd like a VStrom 650?

P95Carry

« Reply #40 on: October 17, 2005, 08:39:34 AM »
VStrom 650 - sadly I know little or nothing about it!

There is tho re size (capacity) a monster difference between an 110 cruiser and an 1100 ''crotch rocket'' LOL

My VTX 1300 doesn't hang around and has good torque and suits me fine.  However my son's last bike was an SV650 and boy did that sucker go!!  he could pop a wheelie doing 60 up a grade!!

I don't feel the big ''grunter'' bikes like cruisers will be much of a runaway risk - whereas yes, a super sportster just could... in inexperienced hands.

Anyways - It's still cruiser for me all the way but I do see Paul's need to find a good fit - no point having an uncomfortable ride.
Chris - P95
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.
Rohrbaugh interest/ownership? - Rohrbaugh Forum Rohrbaugh R9 FAQ Site