Author Topic: Misfired Artillery Crashes Into New Jersey Home, Fatally Injuring Cat  (Read 4230 times)

wmenorr67

• friend
What caliber for cat?

JEFFERSON TOWNSHIP, N.J.   A piece of artillery that was apparently misfired by the military crashed through the roof of a home miles away Friday and injured a young girl's cat, which had to be euthanized, officials said.

No people were injured when the 2-pound piece hit the Jefferson Township home about 2 1/2 miles from the Picatinny Arsenal and landed in the girl's bed, said Peter Rowland, arsenal spokesman. She wasn't home, but her cat was sleeping on the bed.

The homeowner told authorities she heard a loud noise around 2:40 p.m. and found the 6-by-4-inch object.

Picatinny officials told The Star-Ledger of Newark they were investigating. The base had been conducting tests Friday, and it wasn't immediately clear what type of artillery hit the home.

Picatinny is the site of the Armament Research, Development and Engineering Center, whose mission is to conduct research, development and engineering for weapons systems.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,350832,00.html
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

LadySmith

• friends
  • Veni, Vidi, Jactavi Calceos
Re: Misfired Artillery Crashes Into New Jersey Home, Fatally Injuring Cat
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2008, 06:18:14 AM »
Nooooo!!! Not the kitty.  sad
Rogue AI searching for amusement and/or Ellie Mae imitator searching for critters.
"What doesn't kill me makes me stronger...and it also makes me a cat-lover" - The Viking
According to Ben, I'm an inconvenient anomaly (and proud of it!).

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2008, 06:31:59 AM »
Apparently it was on it's ninth life?  sad
Avoid cliches like the plague!

InfidelSerf

• friend
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2008, 06:34:18 AM »
Hillary lied, cats died!
The hour is fast approaching,on which the Honor&Success of this army,and the safety of our bleeding Country depend.Remember~Soldiers,that you are Freemen,fighting for the blessings of Liberty-that slavery will be your portion,and that of your posterity,if you do not acquit yourselves like men.GW8/76

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2008, 06:37:31 AM »
Nooooo!!! Not the kitty.  sad
I feel the same thing as you. Poor kitten! sad

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2008, 07:23:44 AM »
Ceiling Cat says come to me, my child...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2008, 08:10:58 AM »
poor kitty
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

LadySmith

• friends
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2008, 10:51:05 PM »
Another strange fatality, but the pet came out ok...

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/04/14/BA6610598L.DTL&feed=rss.bayarea

Woman dies after being struck by a falling tree limb at Stern Grove
Marisa Lagos,John Koopman, Chronicle Staff Writers
Monday, April 14, 2008
(04-14) 21:51 PDT San Francisco -- A heavy limb from an apparently healthy redwood tree snapped today and plummeted into a parking lot at San Francisco's Stern Grove, killing a woman who was loading her dog into a car, officials said.
The woman, Kathleen Bolton, 50, was putting the dog into her Subaru Outback at the lot next to the concert meadow around 11:30 a.m. when part of the tree fell, hitting her and her car, said Fire Department Lt. Mindy Talmadge.
Paramedic crews took Bolton to San Francisco General Hospital, where she died at 12:14 p.m. The redwood tree is about 60 feet tall, and the limb that broke off was about 40 feet up from the ground. The limb was about 10 inches in diameter.
The tree is estimated to be around 40 years old and appeared to be healthy, said Recreation and Park Department spokeswoman Rose Dennis. Winds in the city gusted above 25 mph today, but Dennis said it was unknown whether that had anything to do with what happened.
As a precaution, Dennis said, the department closed both parking lots at Stern Grove while officials checked for other hazards.
"Obviously it was a fluke, but it was a tragic fluke," Dennis said.
Dennis said Bolton regularly walked her dog at the park and was a familiar face to Stern Grove staffers.
Officers with the city's Department of Animal Care and Control responded to the scene and found Bolton's uninjured dog, Talmadge said.
E-mail the writers at mlagos@sfchronicle.com and jkoopman@sfchronicle.com.
Rogue AI searching for amusement and/or Ellie Mae imitator searching for critters.
"What doesn't kill me makes me stronger...and it also makes me a cat-lover" - The Viking

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2008, 01:11:46 AM »
I can understand the sentiment about cats.....but I think calling in an artillery strike was a little much....  rolleyes
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

LadySmith

• friends
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2008, 01:44:48 AM »
^^^ cheesy laugh cheesy ...Hey!  angry
 grin

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2008, 01:47:15 AM »
Less damage than a no knock. laugh
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

mike

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2008, 02:18:25 AM »
Apparently not big enough as it wasn't a clean kill. shocked

HankB

• friend
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2008, 03:20:19 AM »
Hmmm . . . if I were messing around with, say, my .375 H&H and it "misfired" putting a hole in a neighbors house and cat . . . would I be in the same legal trouble as the artillerymen, or would MY legal consequences be more severe?
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2008, 03:37:00 AM »
Another strange fatality, but the pet came out ok...
That's why they call those dead, hanging branches "widowmakers" ... or "widowermakers" in this case, I suppose.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2008, 11:28:50 AM »
While I was in Baumholder there were not one but TWO former Artillery Battery Commanders serving as OIC's of the Golf Course. 

One put a couple of holes in an off-post German farm field, and the other blew up Range 4.  I was out on the MTA when they blew up Range 4 (a 100 yard Rifle/Pistol Range).

"RANGE CONTROL, RANGE CONTROL, THIS IS RANGE 4, I HAVE ROUNDS IMPACTING ON MY RANGE, I HAVE ROUNDS IMPACTING ON MY RANGE !!!!"  (And you could hear a BOOM is the background over the radio....)

"ALL BAUMHOLDER RANGES, CEASE FIRE FREEZE, CEASE FIRE FREEZE."

These are called CEM's  (Career Ending Moves)
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

griz

• friend
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2008, 04:26:07 AM »
Is this going to start another round of "what caliber for cats" threads? rolleyes
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2008, 06:16:25 AM »
those artilary dudes are gonna wake up in the middle of the night with a warm weight on their chest and a cold claw against their throats.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2008, 10:10:52 AM »
Violation of Rule #4  rolleyes

Woman dies after being struck by a falling tree limb

Back in my logging days, we weren't supposed to even get out of the pickup without our hard hats.   shocked
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2008, 12:46:22 PM »
those artilary dudes are gonna wake up in the middle of the night with a warm weight on their chest and a cold claw against their throats.

...and a 9mm Beretta within easy reach....  grin
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

yesitsloaded

• friends
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2008, 03:25:54 PM »
FAIL. Don't they teach trig anymore. I mean really. I'm sure they hand out tables for each load. I know that people in the army are failures at life and all becuase John Kerry told me so, but this is still....yeah. Maybe some rouge arsenal reloader double charged it.
I can haz nukular banstiks ? Say no to furries, yes to people.