Author Topic: Can you wire a second 240V receptacle into an existing 240V circuit?  (Read 9135 times)

DJJ

• friend
Or do these have to be dedicated, one-receptacle circuits?

Nitrogen

• friends
  • Who could it be?
    • @c0t0d0s2 / Twitter.
Re: Can you wire a second 240V receptacle into an existing 240V circuit?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2008, 09:55:53 AM »
What existing deviceis there?  What amperage doesit pull?
And what amperage will your new device pull?   Make sure the combined pull is handleable by the wiring and circuit breaker.

Oh, and check your wiring code.
יזכר לא עד פעם
Remember. Never Again.
What does it mean to be an American?  Have you forgotten? | http://youtu.be/0w03tJ3IkrM

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2008, 10:15:07 AM »
The wiring code is a scam created by the guvmint to prevent you from exercising your freedom to stupidly burn your house down accidentally.

See, they have an investment in your home, if it burns, the property tax revenue will drop AND they'll have to actually provide the fire and rescue services you pay for.

As long as they can dictate that you build safely, the house will maintain or increase in value, taxes will continue to be paid and they won't have to put any wear and tear on their shiny fire trucks.

So stick it to the man, ignore the code. 

(or do what Nitro recommends) grin
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2008, 12:20:27 PM »
i'm not sure if code allows it, but it shouldn't be a problem functionality speaking. as long as both outlets and all wire can handle the current of the breaker (never put in a higher rated breaker), the worst that will happen is the breaker will trip when both outlets are used simultaneously. unless the breaker malfuntions, in which case you will have that drastic reduction in property taxes.

what do you plan on using the outlets for?
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2008, 12:37:42 PM »
what do you plan on using the outlets for?

As others have noted, this is the critical question.  In the USA, a 240V receptacle is normally only installed for high wattage applications where a 120V circuit is no longer practical.  You can push almost twice as many watts over a given cable gauge at 240V, after all.

So, normally speaking, whenever you see a 240V circuit it was designed and installed for a particular application, and the wiring sized for it.  Thus, unless for some strange reason they oversized the circuit or you can guarantee that both appliances aren't going to be used at the same time, you'll probably end up running a new circuit.

For example, an electric water heater is normally set up for 30 amps - because in normal use it takes around 25.  Same with an electric dryer.  Both shouldn't exist on the same circuit unless you like breakers popping or you have some way to make sure the water heater and dryer don't operate simultaneously.

ilbob

• friend
    • Bob's blog
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2008, 01:05:16 PM »
Or do these have to be dedicated, one-receptacle circuits?
I do not recall that the code imposes a limit.

bob

Disclaimers: I am not a lawyer, cop, soldier, gunsmith, politician, plumber, electrician, or a professional practitioner of many of the other things I comment on in this forum.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2008, 01:12:17 PM »
As long as the combined amp ratings of the receptacles does not exceed the main circuit branch, you are ok.
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Firethorn

• friend
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2008, 02:17:53 PM »
As long as the combined amp ratings of the receptacles does not exceed the main circuit branch, you are ok.

Actually, you can exceed the amp ratings of the main circuit branch, this is frequently done with 120V wall outlets, remember.  Each outlet is rated at 15 or 20A, and you got loads of them.  It's just that it's not anticipated that most will be used, or even used near their capacity.

ilbob

• friend
    • Bob's blog
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2008, 02:34:52 PM »

this is not even an issue.
bob

Disclaimers: I am not a lawyer, cop, soldier, gunsmith, politician, plumber, electrician, or a professional practitioner of many of the other things I comment on in this forum.

DJJ

• friend
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2008, 03:01:08 PM »
Well, I've heard from other sources that it's a flat-out no, so it's back to the drawing board.

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2008, 03:34:34 PM »
Well, I've heard from other sources that it's a flat-out no, so it's back to the drawing board.

Other sources? 

OTHER sources?

Why the heck are you going outside APS for advice?

The only reasonable explanation is that you think we don't know what we're talking about.  rolleyes

grin

"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

280plus

• friend
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2008, 03:50:20 PM »

It is if you try to run both at capacity at the same time.

ilbob

• friend
    • Bob's blog
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2008, 04:03:31 PM »

It is if you try to run both at capacity at the same time.
no more than if you plugged in two hair dryers into the same outlet and turned them both on. the only negative thing that will happen is that the breaker will trip.

The OP asked if they had to be dedicated circuits. The rating of an outlet or the combined ratings of all the outlets on the circuit just is not an issue to that question.

There are a few cases where the code requires dedicated receptacles IIRC. I think electric ranges are one.
bob

280plus

• friend
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2008, 04:58:01 PM »
The OP asked if they had to be dedicated circuits. The rating of an outlet or the combined ratings of all the outlets on the circuit just is not an issue to that question.
Ohhhh,,,gotcha!  grin

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2008, 05:25:06 PM »
I depends on you application.
If this is for non fixed in place loads (ie portable something) you can draw up to 80 percent of the over current device. If it is for a fixed in place load you can only draw 50 percent of the over current device(range with a cord). Although you have to abide by what the manufacture of the device lists for the over current device size, not the electric code. The amperage listing on a UL approved piece of equipment trumps the NEC.
Since i don't know what your trying to connect I'll give a short run down.
Two 240v 20A outlets in your workshop for tools OK
Connecting an ac unit to your electric dryer NO
Connecting the dryer to a range NO
Under certain circumstances you can connect a cook top and wall oven together.

I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

DJJ

• friend
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2008, 06:07:44 PM »
Someday I'm planning on building a "doghouse" behind my garage for a dust collector and an air compressor. The dust collector would be on the 240V circuit. I've had the circuits installed. However, they're on the exterior wall, so they do me no good now. For now, I need a portable dust collector until I get the doghouse built. I can wire another receptacle (probably in the garage ceiling) into the circuit that goes to the one outside in just a few minutes. This ultimately means that there would only ever be one device on the circuit. Who knows? If the portable dust collector turns out to be adequate, I may never build the doghouse.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2008, 06:08:07 PM »
240v 9-ft South Bend lathe in garage, tied to 240v clothes dryer outlet on other side of garage wall?  grin

(Not saying I have or haven't done this...)
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

ilbob

• friend
    • Bob's blog
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2008, 06:16:17 PM »
I depends on you application.
If this is for non fixed in place loads (ie portable something) you can draw up to 80 percent of the over current device. If it is for a fixed in place load you can only draw 50 percent of the over current device(range with a cord). Although you have to abide by what the manufacture of the device lists for the over current device size, not the electric code. The amperage listing on a UL approved piece of equipment trumps the NEC.
Since i don't know what your trying to connect I'll give a short run down.
Two 240v 20A outlets in your workshop for tools OK
Connecting an ac unit to your electric dryer NO
Connecting the dryer to a range NO
Under certain circumstances you can connect a cook top and wall oven together.
I am not sure where the numbers you quoted came from but they are just plain wrong.

Cord and plug connected loads are not part of the premises wiring so they are not covered by the NEC.

UL listing of a piece of equipment never trumps the NEC. In fact, it is extremely rare that the NEC has anything to do with a UL listing at all. The code does require that you follow the installation instructions that come with a listed device, but in no way is that "trumping" anything.
bob

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2008, 08:23:30 AM »
another thought is to make a 220 extension cord. get some wire of appropriate size, a plug and outlet of the right type, and you can put it wherever you like. no need to splice into the existing line.
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2008, 09:04:20 AM »
I don't see any problem unless both devices will be in use at the same time.

Even then, it will only be a nuisance to trip the breaker - though keep in mind that breakers will eventually wear out if tripped too often.   And we used to have an old house that you couldn't buy replacement breakers for except at an extremely high price, as the company was out of business.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2008, 10:46:24 AM »
I don't see any problem unless both devices will be in use at the same time.

Even then, it will only be a nuisance to trip the breaker - though keep in mind that breakers will eventually wear out if tripped too often.   And we used to have an old house that you couldn't buy replacement breakers for except at an extremely high price, as the company was out of business.

Putting in a new panel is fun though.

Firethorn

• friend
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2008, 10:56:21 AM »
Putting in a new panel is fun though.

Been there, done that, wasn't too difficult.

The biggest fun I had was working with the live, unfused(until the power pole), utility line.  I wrapped them up good before moving them.

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2008, 11:02:23 AM »
You didn't have a exterior meter with a shut off?  shocked

Firethorn

• friend
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2008, 11:25:09 AM »
You didn't have a exterior meter with a shut off?  shocked

What can I say...  It's legacy.

It's an old 60 amp service.  If the power company shuts it off I'll have to update it before they'd turn it back on.  Don't have the money for that at the moment.

When I started the house had a main fuse box, 2 sub fuse boxes, and a circuit breaker box.

One day I was having some wierd power issues, went down to the basement and found the main fuse box sparking.  I had already obtained a new breaker box, just moved up my replacement plans by quite a bit.  I replaced the other two fuse boxes with utility ones to extend the wires to the breaker box.

So I still have a 60 amp service, but at least it's all new breakers.

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2008, 11:27:14 AM »
I don't get all freaked out by working near hot leads anymore (if I have to) but I don't know I'd want to try to unhook a main power cable.

What did you wrap it with?