Author Topic: [b]Scots gang members to get anger management courses[/b]  (Read 6435 times)

MicroBalrog

• friend
[b]Scots gang members to get anger management courses[/b]
« on: April 15, 2008, 07:13:22 AM »
Scots gang members to get anger management courses

Apr 15 2008 By Magnus Gardham And Paul O'Hare

HUNDREDS of gang members are to receive anger management counselling in a bid to cut street violence.

Specially-trained police will help youngsters curb their aggressive outbursts as part of the £200,000 government initiative.

Knife-wielding thugs will be taught to count to 10 to cool down instead of lashing out.

It was confirmed yesterday that more than 500 known gang members across Scotland will be targeted. They include 120 yobs in Glasgow.

Gang members will be encouraged to attend classes on anger management and "territorialism issues" as part of local projects which also involve football coaching, music, drama and other activities.

A scheme in Drumchapel, Glasgow, will offer outward bound activities to tempt teenagers to attend classes.

Anti-violence classes will be included in a bicycle maintenance course for Edinburgh gang members.

And youths in Buckhaven, Fife, will stage a play called Culture of Violence, with counselling thrown in.

In all, 19 schemes were given the go-ahead yesterday. They will be run by police officers using a "toolkit" developed by an English charity.

Police said one unnamed Glasgow gang committed 450 crimes in less than a year.

And gangs such as Young Leith Team, in Edinburgh, and Young Ardler Pirates, in Dundee, have been linked with crime sprees.

Last month, police stopped and searched 6000 people stopped in an anti-gang drive.

More than 500 weapons were seized.

But police and ministers believe a more "softly softly" approach is also required.

Speaking in Springburn, Glasgow, justice secretary Kenny MacAskill said of anger management: "The statistics speak for themselves. It works.

"Senior officers and hardened cops here say this is working fantastically well. They are amazed at the figures.

"We have kids now going into the same gang that not only their father was in but their grandfather was in! This is ridiculous and we have got to break it."

But Springburn's Labour MSP Paul Martin said: "If you live in an area affected by gang fighting, what you want is for the individuals to be dealt with rather than given a cuddle.

"It is time for Kenny MacAskill to get in the real world and deal with policing issues instead of letting people out of jail early and talking about anger management."
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
Re: [b]Scots gang members to get anger management courses[/b]
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2008, 07:15:40 AM »
Excuse me.  I'm gonna go beat my head against the wall for a little while..........

angry
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2008, 07:17:58 AM »
sounds like the student gatherings in middle school. the ones where they tell you don't do drugs, use the mediation center, be nice. i remember that the student responce seemed to be "whatever, at least we get out of class for an hour."

i have a feeling this program is gonna work on just about the same level.  rolleyes
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2008, 07:21:52 AM »
I'm sure this will work just fine rolleyes. NOT.
A 9mm bullet to the back of the head would be a proper solution to the crime problem methinks.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2008, 08:48:23 AM »
Oh, too bad the Brits didn't try this before Stirling Bridge and Bannockburn  grin
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2008, 08:51:17 AM »
How about the treatment shown in A Clockwork Orange instead?

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2008, 09:00:18 AM »
Bad idea. It reversed, remember?

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2008, 09:03:38 AM »

Ah, but that's because they let him go. Who said anything about letting them go?  grin

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2008, 09:05:24 AM »

Ah, but that's because they let him go. Who said anything about letting them go?  grin
Hey...now you got me thinking (always a bad sign, means someone's in for hurtin'...). Ludovico treatment=they get sick from watching violence. Treat them, keep em locked up, and show the most violenst movies ever made, 24 hours a day, seven days a week grin.

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2008, 09:42:04 AM »
The Durango '95 drove real horosho. grin
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2008, 11:16:35 AM »
And gangs such as Young Leith Team, in Edinburgh, and Young Ardler Pirates, in Dundee, have been linked with crime sprees.

Looks like the APS Fistful's Fault will have to swing by Scotland on our way to the Horn of Africa and the Malacca Straights.

Sergeant Bob, you can club these "baby seals" all you want.  grin
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Phyphor

• friend
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2008, 11:40:36 AM »

Looks like the APS Fistful's Fault will have to swing by Scotland on our way to the Horn of Africa and the Malacca Straights.

Sergeant Bob, you can club these "baby seals" all you want.  grin

Who's up for erm....borrowing a five incher gun and welding a mounting ring on the deck?  Only problem would be magazine space......

Screw it, Fistful didn't need quarters, anyway.......  grin
"You know what's messed-up about taxes?
You don't even pay taxes. They take tax.
You get your check, money gone.
That ain't a payment, that's a jack." - Chris Rock "Bigger and Blacker"
He slapped his rifle. "This is one of the best arguments for peace there is. Nobody wants to shoot if somebody is going to shoot back. " Callaghen, Callaghen, Louis La'mour

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2008, 05:04:21 PM »
When did touchy feely hippies take over the .gov's of all Britain and it's conquests? To go from great empire to this in a hundred-ish years.... stunning.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2008, 07:54:01 PM »
Is there anyone in charge over there? 

At this point even the Royals would do a better job.  Even Jug Ears.

Jeez!
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2008, 07:57:46 PM »
I don't see the Princes putting up with this crap.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2008, 04:09:35 AM »
i'm fine with the idea of pursueing a saocial experiment ...in a faraway place.....without the use of my overinflated american tax dollars....keep us posted on the results.....
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2