Author Topic: Obama spits on PA and American values in comments to SF liberals  (Read 24152 times)

Sergeant Bob

• friend
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

wooderson

• friend
Re: Obama spits on PA and American values in comments to SF liberals
« Reply #76 on: April 17, 2008, 03:28:26 PM »
Give it up, wood.  It's painfully clear that you're grasping at straws trying to discredit a man who you disagree with.
So give me a reasonable interpretation in which Bernard Shaw is actually wishing for the extermination of the working classes.

This I gotta see.

Sowell's quotes of Marx and Shaw were accurate enough, as far as they go.
Marx's quote is the one I picked up on first (being a more famous phrase), but the Shaw quote is actually more problematic.

When we source a quote to someone, we are attributing not just words but meaning. To suggest, using the passage cited, that Shaw was wishing death upon working people and detested them is ethically abhorrent.

Maybe you have no problem with Sowell making things up as he goes along, but I do.

And even if they were inaccurate, what of it?
Remember when I called his audience uncritical, and certain people got their dander up?

If you want to discredit Sowell, come up with a real reason.
I consider base dishonesty plenty of reason.

Give a sound argument why his main thesis was wrong.  Don't pull a couple of his quotes and pretend that they're taken out of context and thus "dishonest".
I don't care about his "main thesis." I've said nothing about his "main thesis."

I noticed that he misused a quote. Then I noticed that he gravely misused another. This is the basic concept of "dishonesty." If you can defend either usage on their merits, go ahead.

Or, as you've already done, accept a little bit of dishonesty when the cause is righteous.

But don't side-step it.
"The famously genial grin turned into a rictus of senile fury: I was looking at a cruel and stupid lizard."

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #77 on: April 17, 2008, 05:11:02 PM »
It's quite simple, wood. The point Sowell was making was that radical leftists have contempt for the working classes.  Marx, Shaw, and Obama are alike in that regard.  The Marx and Shaw quotes both illustrate the disdain they each have for the poor.  Obama's San Fran remarks illustrate the disdain he has for the poor.  That Marx and Shaw were both speaking to larger points at the time doesn't lessen their disregard for the lower class.  It doesn't make Sowell dishonest for pointing out that disregard. 

I'll say it again, the Marx and Shaw quotes are accurate as far as they go.   You may not like it, but it's true nonetheless.  You accuse Sowell's audience of being uncritical, but I think you are the one lacking critical thinking here.  Do you have the honesty to admit your misjudgment?

I expect you'll dodge.  I expect you'll continue to split hairs, parse the semantics, obfuscate, bloviate, filibuster, and and play your beloved word games until the discussion loses all meaning.  I have no interest in going there, so I'll leave the last word to you and exit the discussion now.  Ciao.

wooderson

• friend
« Reply #78 on: April 17, 2008, 05:55:32 PM »
The point Sowell was making was that radical leftists have contempt for the working classes.  Marx, Shaw, and Obama are alike in that regard.  The Marx and Shaw quotes both illustrate the disdain they each have for the poor.
Er... no.

That's what Sowell wants to demonstrate. Problem is, neither quote actually says what he claims - again, the Shaw quote in particular is an egregious deception on the part of Sowell.

But, as is evidenced here, his audience (when exposed to the real quote) believes that ends justify the means and thus he is comfortable with his dishonesty. If only I could find such selfless patronage.

I'll say it again, the Marx and Shaw quotes are accurate as far as they go. 
You'll say it again, but you still won't have read the Shaw quotes, apparently. You should try that.

I'll throw you an easy question, though. Who or what does the "they" in "they do not deserve to live" refer to?
"The famously genial grin turned into a rictus of senile fury: I was looking at a cruel and stupid lizard."

longeyes

• friend
President Gutterball
« Reply #79 on: April 18, 2008, 02:05:55 PM »
No man who bowls a 37 can ever be President of the United States. 

It's all in the wrist, Barack.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #80 on: April 19, 2008, 03:49:43 AM »
I'm not sure I could bowl a 37 if I threw the ball AT the gutter.

Aside from that, a local pundit nailed what Obama and his wife really are.

They're 80's yuppie throwbacks, complete with yuppie guilt.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #81 on: April 19, 2008, 05:38:05 AM »
they're called buppies
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #82 on: April 19, 2008, 03:48:31 PM »
When I see Barack Obama I think of SIX DEGREES OF SEPARATION and the kid who was pretending to be Sidney Poitier's son...

It's not hard to con the guilt-stricken.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Modifiedbrowning

• friend
  • Best Avatar on APS
« Reply #83 on: April 19, 2008, 04:44:00 PM »
wooderson wrote:
So give me a reasonable interpretation in which Bernard Shaw is actually wishing for the extermination of the working classes.
GBS said:
For my part I hate the poor and look eagerly to their extermination. I pity the rich a little, but am equally bent on their extermination. The working classes, the business classes, the professional classes, the propertied classes, the ruling classes, are each more odious than the other: they have no right to live: I should despair if I did not know that they will all die presently, and that there is no need on earth why they should be replaced by people like themselves.
Emphasis mine:
For my part I hate the poor and look eagerly to their extermination.
Give Peace a Chance,
Kill all Terrorists.

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #84 on: April 20, 2008, 05:48:48 AM »
Aside from that, a local pundit nailed what Obama and his wife really are.

They're 80's yuppie throwbacks, complete with yuppie guilt.

That really nails it MW, he is a totally 80's dude.
He hasn't grown spiritually, emotionally or politically since that era.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #85 on: April 20, 2008, 11:52:10 AM »
Please quit insulting the eighties.   smiley

Although the eighties were the last time the Dem. party wasn't dominated by the Clintons.  Hmm.  Something there, maybe.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #86 on: April 20, 2008, 04:55:17 PM »
Odd.  Since Obama's comments, I've noticed Ron Paul and Clinton signs everywhere in central PA.  Very, very few Obama signs.  And he rolled through here not that long ago. I think I saw a single McCain sign.  Might be mistaken,  

Philly and Harrisburg are probably still fairly Obama friendly.  Go figure.  Sigh.   
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

wooderson

• friend
« Reply #87 on: April 20, 2008, 08:00:01 PM »
Modifiedbrowning - we must be working under different definitions of reasonable.

Do you not believe that when one sentence which follows another on the same topic, the latter modifies or informs the former? Are all sentences separate entities? Is the concept of the paragraph a lie?

Glock Glockler

• friend
« Reply #88 on: April 21, 2008, 04:58:38 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DygBj4Zw6No

Here he gives Hillary the bird at a campaign event, it's comforting to know how much respect he treats members of his own party with, I wonder how he'll do with govts that are hostile to us. 

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #89 on: April 22, 2008, 07:29:14 AM »
@Glock

Just watched the clip.  Doesn't exactly look like he's giving her the finger, as you put it.  Looks more like he's scratching under his eye, and just happened to use the middle finger.  My dad does that all the time.  I know it's kinda joked at as a surreptitious way to give someone the finger.  Don't get me wrong, I'm not an Obama supporter, but I think that he's got enough political savvy to NOT do that, even in a "sneaky" manner.
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

johnster999

« Reply #90 on: April 22, 2008, 08:16:19 AM »
@Glock

Just watched the clip.  Doesn't exactly look like he's giving her the finger, as you put it.  Looks more like he's scratching under his eye, and just happened to use the middle finger.  My dad does that all the time.  I know it's kinda joked at as a surreptitious way to give someone the finger.  Don't get me wrong, I'm not an Obama supporter, but I think that he's got enough political savvy to NOT do that, even in a "sneaky" manner.

I don't know. I hope your right. I'd like the think somebody who has a real chance at the white house would be above flipping his opponent a childish, sneaky bird during a speech. It seemed the crowd at it up. A bit later he used the same hand to do a "brush off" gesture related to some criticism Clinton had made of him which drew similar cheers.

Glock Glockler

• friend
« Reply #91 on: April 22, 2008, 11:24:14 AM »
I wonder how many people might be dismissing it because they are far more uncomfortable with the idea that someone who has a real shot at being the president would do something like that, I also wonder why this has gotten zero coverage in the media.  His "typical white person" comment was evidently no big deal and his association with the Trinity Church apparently didn't hurt him in the slightest. 

This is especially interesting considering how much every network replayed the Bush-Cheney "big time"  comment about the reporter several years back. 

Obama is getting a free pass by the media. 

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #92 on: April 22, 2008, 11:50:49 AM »
Feh, that was no bird, that was an itch.

Even the Unholy Messiah of Neo-Progressive Doom is not so perfect in his futurechangehoped-ness that he is immune for minor skin irritation.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

wooderson

• friend
« Reply #93 on: April 22, 2008, 01:39:40 PM »
I'm more likely to vote for any candidate who'll flip off a Clinton.

wooderson

• friend
« Reply #94 on: April 22, 2008, 01:40:31 PM »
Guaranteed vote if he gives a Clinton the 'double deuce.'

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #95 on: April 22, 2008, 05:01:20 PM »
Looks like the crowd interpreted it as flipping the bird.
I wouldn't be surprised if it really was.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Glock Glockler

• friend
« Reply #96 on: April 22, 2008, 07:04:01 PM »
You must give the Devil his due, Obama is a very polished and skilled speaker, do you really think he would make a gesture that could be interpreted like that is it wasn't what he wanted to get across?  Or look at it this way, if he was speaking to a hostile USSR during the Cuban missle crisis would he make that gesture or would it occur to him that it might be interpreted as flipping the bird?

He knows exactly what he's doing.