Author Topic: How to Pimp Chelsea, Episode II (or III)  (Read 14099 times)

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
How to Pimp Chelsea, Episode II (or III)
« on: April 21, 2008, 02:20:26 PM »
http://firstread.msnbc.msn.com/archive/2008/04/19/921148.aspx

From NBC/NJs Matthew Berger
PHILADELPHIA -- Chelsea Clinton stopped traffic Friday night as she wandered the streets of Philadelphia on a gay bar crawl, winning rave reviews for both her politics and her appearance.

Led around the neighborhood by Gov. Ed Rendell, Chelsea was mobbed by local gays and lesbians, as she walked from one club to the next. They ran up to hug her, posed for pictures and certainly invaded her personal space.

I grabbed her ass, one young woman exclaimed to her friends after snapping a picture with her arm around the former first daughter.

Chelsea, the gays love you! one fan exclaimed, as she took the microphone at Bump, a restaurant and bar that was her first stop. Oh, gosh, I dont know if everybody loves me, she responded.

Most of those at the bar seemed to, squeezing past one another in the cramped space to get a photo. Even some patrons, donning Obama stickers -- a rally for the Illinois senator had taken place a few blocks away earlier in the evening -- tried to get a snapshot as well.

In all, she visited four bars in Center City, concluding her tour at Woodys, the citys most famous gay bar. Getting from one event to another proved difficult at times, as she was constantly stopped by admirers while walking down the sidewalk. She reached into car windows to shake hands and was followed by several young women who tried to pose for photos on their camera phone, but seemed incapable of properly saving the pictures.

Standing with actors Rob Reiner and Robert Gant, Chelsea appeared overwhelmed at Bump when the mob started complimenting her hair, which they had also done several weeks ago when she spoke at a Stonewall Democrats event at Woodys. But she smiled and laughed throughout her very short remarks.

While she acknowledged she often is asked who her mother will choose as a running mate, this crowd had other questions, with one man asking what Hillary would wear on inauguration day.

We have to get her there so we can make that choice, Chelsea said.

At Sisters, a lesbian bar, Rendell reflected on Chelseas statement that her mother would be a better president than her father was, and suggested she may have angered former President Clinton in the process.

Rendell appeared to be in his element. As Chelsea posed for more photos inside Bump, the governor held court outside, quizzing onlookers about Pennsylvania history, and grabbing the phone of one voter to talk to his undecided mother. He acknowledged to the caller that there were two good Democratic candidates, but said he thought Hillary would do a better job.

OK, governor, dont run my minutes up, the man said, trying to get the phone back from Rendell.

Rendell has toured gay bars in Philadelphia since the 1970s, he said, and made a similar trek for John Kerry in 2004.

Well see tonight, easily, 1,500 people, Rendell said. And theyre all voters.

There was no policy discussion for Chelsea, who usually fields questions from college students at town hall meetings but does not do interviews with the press. There were no questions about gays in the military or same-sex marriage this evening; mostly just polite chit-chat.

As the tour continued past a bar with a terrace -- open on one of the first warm spring evenings of the year -- Chelsea nearly ran up to shake outstretched hands.

Are you going inside? one woman asked.

I dont know, Chelsea replied. Im mostly just following directions.

EMAIL THIS

Ha.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
Re: How to Pimp Chelsea, Episode II (or III)
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2008, 02:28:50 PM »
Chelsea's been working pretty hard for her mother's campaign.  I wonder why?  What's in it for Chelsea?

Ned Hamford

• friend
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2008, 03:03:40 PM »
Chelsea's been working pretty hard for her mother's campaign.  I wonder why?  What's in it for Chelsea?

'I've got a date with the president's daughter'

She loves that song.
Improbus a nullo flectitur obsequio.

Fjolnirsson

• friends
  • The Anti-Claus
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2008, 03:04:57 PM »
Is it just me, or is it a bit unseemly to have a Candidates daughter doing "a bar crawl" to gain support for the candidate?
Hi.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2008, 03:05:57 PM »

Secret Service protection.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2008, 03:57:26 PM »
While she acknowledged she often is asked who her mother will choose as a running mate, this crowd had other questions, with one man asking what Hillary would wear on inauguration day.

Its nice to know they're asking her hard hitting questions.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

nico

• friend
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2008, 04:20:17 PM »

Its nice to know they're asking her hard hitting questions.

I'm hoping for a pair of sweats and a bottle of vodka (she seems like the Absolut type).

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2008, 05:08:51 PM »
Money. Corporations and such love to hire candidates' wives and kids for high salaries - for name recognition at the least, political favors at best. See FDR's kinfolk. If she's first daughter again, she gets a nice job with a title and little to no work involved.

Dntsycnt

• friend
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2008, 05:11:07 PM »
I'd do her.

Just for the lulz.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2008, 01:07:33 AM »
Quote from: MSNBC
Chelsea, the gays love you! one fan exclaimed, as she took the microphone at Bump, a restaurant and bar that was her first stop...

Mom & Dad must be proud....  rolleyes
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2008, 05:14:35 AM »
I'm surprised (or maybe not) at the lack of uproar over the "I grabbed her ass" comment. I'm pretty sure if I grabbed Chelsea's ass (and announced it to the world), I'd be sitting in jail right now trying to figure out how to raise my $100K bail. Yet the general media response seems to be, "Hey, that's cool and progressive!"
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2008, 05:17:22 AM »

Political connections. She's apparently her mother's daughter, complete with an early addiction to political power.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2008, 05:22:40 AM »

If your father/mother/significant other was running for President, wouldn't you chip in and help?
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2008, 05:27:12 AM »

If your father/mother/significant other was running for President, wouldn't you chip in and help?
My father/mother/significant other all have the good sense not to run for Prez.  And even if they didn't, I certainly wouldn't let myself be used as a fool trolling through gay bars begging for votes.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2008, 05:35:59 AM »

My father/mother/significant other all have the good sense not to run for Prez.  And even if they didn't, I certainly wouldn't let myself be used as a fool trolling through gay bars begging for votes.

How is this different from begging for votes on university campi, gun shows, and expensive dinners?
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2008, 05:36:08 AM »

Well, Hillary views all people as tools for her political machinations. She's an ice cold Machiavellian sort.

Even her daughter, apparently, is just a tool.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2008, 06:17:27 AM »
If Chelsea Clinton were a teenager or pre-teen on the campaign trail  this would be an issue, but she is no longer an underage child, she is an adult that's pushing 30 years old.

I see nothing wrong or unseemly with an adult working on a parent's political campaign . . . the campaign appearances are questionable, but that's a political issue unrelated to Chelsea being the candidate's adult daughter.

(I see a great deal - a VERY great deal - wrong with her mother. On many levels.)
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Ezekiel

• friend
  • Intellectual Masturbationist
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2008, 06:42:24 AM »

After eight years of Mom, would Chelsea be old enough to run?
Zeke

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2008, 06:52:35 AM »
No.  IIRC, you have to be 45.  She's younger than me and I won't be 45 after 8 years of her mom.

Chris

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2008, 06:53:24 AM »
It's 35.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2008, 07:07:47 AM »
Avenger is right.  Dunno where I got the 45 number from.  So, yes, this could be a start to her own political aspirations.

Chris

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2008, 07:48:41 AM »

Only if I agreed with thier platform.
And then, I would punch someone who grabbed my ass.  And I'd be offended that nobody was asking me serious questions.  I'd have left when they talked about my hair, or told me "gays love you".  Not that I am offended by it, but I'd not be interested in pandering to a special interest group.  I'd rather represent said father/mother/so by being able to intelligently answer serious questions about thier positions and platform.  What Chelsea is doing is pandering to the lowest common denominator....
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

HankB

• friend
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2008, 07:56:36 AM »
What Chelsea is doing is pandering to the lowest common denominator....
Hey, that's the BASE of the Democratic Party you're writing about!!!
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2008, 08:40:17 AM »
How is this different from begging for votes on university campi, gun shows, and expensive dinners?

Because at "university campi, gun shows, and expensive dinners" it is not considered socially acceptable to grab an unwilling* gal's ass and crow about it to the media.

She is going into the social gutter to stir up votes for her mom.  What's next, the American ex-pat NAMBLA convention in Thailand to drum up early mail-in ballots?

Quote from: HankB
Hey, that's the BASE of the Democratic Party you're writing about!!!

"Base" is about right.

* I will assume the best of Chelsea
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Dntsycnt

• friend
« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2008, 09:19:50 AM »
So you don't think the grabbing her ass part could've been a joke?  You can see that exact same behavior at just about any university in the US.

"Social gutter" is a gun show to many, many people.

Then you take the oh so logical step from gay bar to NAMBLA...nice.