Author Topic: "A cowardly act..."  (Read 2669 times)

Nick1911

• Administrator
"A cowardly act..."
« on: April 25, 2008, 06:55:01 AM »
Why are terrorist acts always called "cowardly" by people, particularly by the media?

I don't particularly agree with their causes or methods, but a person (terrorist) that is willing to give their  life for what they believe in isn't someone I'd consider a coward.  Someone who is willing to die and kill for their beliefs isn't someone who lacks courage in facing danger, difficulty, opposition, pain, etc.

Killing innocent people, then escaping the consequences through by their own death could be considered cowardly - someone who lacks the courage to accept the responsibilities of their actions.

Again, I'm not saying that I think terrorism is the best way to solve a problem, and I certainly don't condone the killing of innocent people, but I don't see what it's "cowardly".

Thoughts?

Declaration Day

• friends
Re: "A cowardly act..."
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2008, 07:22:32 AM »
I agree that terrorist methods aren't necessarily cowardly.  A true coward wouldn't take a stand for what he believes in.  Many of their methods, such as recklessly killing civilians, are unethical according to my moral code.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2008, 07:36:41 AM »
Cowardly in that they kill unknowing innocents instead of facing someone capable of defending themselves. And as far as dying for the cause please don't equate stupidity with bravery.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2008, 07:43:46 AM »
I dunno, if I lived in one of those mid-eastern poop-hole countries, I might not think suicide was such a bad idea ....  rolleyes

That's why I think we haven't had more islamic terrorist acts in the USA: once they get over here, 99.99% of the would be suicide-whatevers now have something to live for. Wink
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2008, 08:05:02 AM »
Depends.

I can't call a man who kills himself for a cause a coward.

A man who hides behind civilians while sending others to kill themselves, and other innocent civilians, for a cause, is beyond a coward.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2008, 08:16:37 AM »
Dyin' is easy.....exfiltration takes courage....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2008, 08:24:41 AM »
I don't believe that people are calling suicide bombers cowards.

The act itself, in targeting innocent civilians? That's cowardly.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2008, 09:48:07 AM »
I don't believe that people are calling suicide bombers cowards.

The act itself, in targeting innocent civilians? That's cowardly.

Yes. They're attacking soft targets.

If they went and ran at a military installation, that's war. Attacking civilians is cowardly.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2008, 09:53:21 AM »
Yeah, it's the targets they choose that makes 'em cowards, not their methods. 

Suicide is generally a cowardly thing to do, too.  I'm not sure a suicide "for a cause" changes that.

DJJ

• friend
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2008, 10:08:11 AM »
Yes. They're attacking soft targets.

If they went and ran at a military installation, that's war. Attacking civilians is cowardly.

I'll get flamed for this, but I'm forced to ask, then why are-

-The attack on the Marine barracks in Beirut in 1983
-The attack on the USS Cole
-All the attacks on US forces in Iraq
-Others?

labelled terrorism?

LadySmith

• friends
  • Veni, Vidi, Jactavi Calceos
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2008, 01:04:17 AM »
Nick, I think you answered your own question.
Why are terrorist acts always called "cowardly" by people, particularly by the media?
Killing innocent people, then escaping the consequences through by their own death could be considered cowardly - someone who lacks the courage to accept the responsibilities of their actions.
That's what suicide terrorists do.

Terrorists go about what they do in a sneaky fashion without giving others a fair or fighting chance. That's cowardly.
Rogue AI searching for amusement and/or Ellie Mae imitator searching for critters.
"What doesn't kill me makes me stronger...and it also makes me a cat-lover" - The Viking
According to Ben, I'm an inconvenient anomaly (and proud of it!).

meinbruder

• friends
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2008, 04:32:03 AM »
Suicide is by definition cowardly, at least to me.  If one hasnt the courage to deal with whatever the situation is face to face, why would one attack a random stranger in exiting life.  Attacking a random stranger is also a cowardly act, Im not old yet but walking up to a person thirty years older is still possible for the purpose of delivering a punch in the nose.  Courage would require walking up and standing in front of a knowing adversary, not attacking an oblivious target.

Tallpine is right and most of these people are being paid; at least their families are.  Here its possible to eat out of a dumpster if needed, over there is nothing but sand.  Dont forget that they are promised eternal bliss in heaven; people around the world devote themselves to that goal and a Muslim can achieve it in less than a second by dieing while killing an infidel.  What baffles me is that most of the victims are also Muslim, of a different sect to be sure but still Muslim.  Violence over a religious difference is also cowardly; once again the victim is random and defenseless.

A terrorist sneaks in the dark and attacks the innocent; a freedom fighter stands in the light and attacks the oppressor.   

Da Bianhua
}:)>
Artificial Intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.....

Da bianhua
}:)>

JohnBT

« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2008, 06:35:50 AM »
Suicide bombers aren't the equivalent of the bushwhacking, backstabbing, shoot-them-in-the-back cowardly bad guy?

I think so.

John