Author Topic: Pay your taxes?  (Read 3992 times)

Ezekiel

• friend
  • Intellectual Masturbationist
Pay your taxes?
« on: April 24, 2008, 05:26:39 PM »
Personally -- right or wrong -- I think they're crucifying this guy to make an example.  That's crap: give him what anyone else would get, including massive fines and some time.  But the maximum?  Stone cold killers do not, regularly, get the max.  Concurrent sentences, parole...   angry

A "very sorry" Wesley Snipes, star of the "Blade" movies, was sentenced to three years in prison on Thursday for willfully failing to file U.S. income tax returns for 1999 through 2001.

Snipes was convicted in February on three misdemeanor counts. U.S. District Judge William Terrell Hodges handed down the maximum sentence and said he felt it was important to create a general deterrent against tax defiance.

"I am very sorry for my mistakes and errors," Snipes told the judge. "This will never happen again."

He read a prepared statement, describing himself as an "idealist, naive, passionate, truth-seeking, spiritual-seeking artist" who epitomized the expression "mo' money, mo' problems."

His lawyers tried to give the court three envelopes with checks totaling $5 million, but the judge and prosecutor said they could not accept the payments. An Internal Revenue Service agent collected the money during a recess.

The judge said prison officials would notify Snipes when to begin serving his sentence. Snipes said he would appeal the verdict but prosecutors vowed to oppose any request to allow him to remain free on bond while the appeal is pending.

Prosecutors said Snipes had earned more than $38 million since 1999 but still had not filed tax returns for the years 1999 through 2007 or paid any taxes prior to Thursday.

They accused Snipes of presenting himself as a victim and called the checks a "grandstanding move" that would turn out to be only a fraction of what he owes the IRS.

They said the notoriety of the case presented a "singular opportunity" to deter tax crimes nationwide.

Snipes was acquitted on two felony charges of filing false claims and fraud in seeking millions of dollars of refunds in other tax years.

The judge did not fine him but the IRS still could levy penalties and interest charges in addition to the taxes owed.

Snipes brought character references from actors Denzel Washington and Woody Harrelson. His lawyer, Linda Moreno, said Snipes had led "an otherwise exemplary life" and had hired reputable tax professionals to help him resolve his tax liability and make amends.

She said Snipes owed less than $400,000 in taxes for the three years related to the convictions and should not be jailed.

Moreno cited the cases of former Washington mayor Marion Barry and singer/actor Marc Anthony, who avoided prison after failing to file tax returns, and singer Willie Nelson, who remained free despite owing $17 million in back taxes.

Co-defendant Eddie Ray Kahn, a longtime tax protester who coached clients of his American Rights Litigators on how to beat the tax system, was sentenced to 10 years in prison.

Co-Defendant Douglas Rosile, who prosecutors called a "defrocked certified public accountant," was sentenced to 4-1/2 years for his part in the scheme. Both were convicted of conspiracy and tax fraud.

Prosecutors said Kahn and Rosile were "incorrigible tax offenders" whose anti-tax schemes caused "enormous damage to the administration of our tax system." They said at least nine other Kahn customers had been convicted of criminal tax violations and two had been indicted.
Zeke

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re: Pay your taxes?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2008, 05:33:53 PM »
he didn't know he hada pay?  he was fool enough to not plead and start a payment plan till he got to court? i have a hard time generating sympathy
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2008, 06:30:12 PM »
Have you seen his movies?  Shoulda been locked up years ago. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2008, 07:00:00 PM »
The maximum sentence for first degree murder is a heckuva lot more than three years. 

No, he deserves what he gets.  Now, I have to admit that I've not yet experienced personally the pain of writing a large tax check.  I only inched up into the middle-class brackets a couple times before ditching it all to go back to school, and I didn't have any tax liability this year, *but* guys who willfully resist paying all taxes are a huge drain on the nation.

This conspiracy seems to have involved the anti-tax movement, a movement that tends to rely on blatant disinformation to hook people into not paying taxes.  They prey especially on conservatives who, while otherwise pretty savvy, allow themselves to be convinced that they don't owe anything to this country.  That is bs.  Fine, so some are opposed to entitlement programs or extensive regulatory programs.  But there's a nice hefty chunk of taxes that pays for things absolutely vital to defense of this nation and its constitution. 

For these guys, having a public figure like Snipes participating in their scheme is a *huge* boon, and it encourages others to buy into their hare-brained schemes.  The costs of prosecuting these cases are huge, and the more high-profile cases like Snipes's there are, the more people will engage in tax evasion.  Sometimes, when a public figure uses his public position to engage in and actively or tacitly encourage the public to likewise engage in similar illegal actions, it is absolutely justifiable to mete out the maximum penalty under the law.

The reason the court has discretion in sentencing is be lenient with people who have some mitigating factor:  someone who lost his business and simply can't come up with the money, someone who was negligent in getting the proper tax advice, someone who had some sort of other pressing need, or even someone who has self-destructed through gambling or drugs.  Those are cases for leniency.  Not here.

This guy and his co-defendants willfully conspired to hide millions of dollars that he owes to the government.  He forced the government to expend huge sums in prosecuting his case and now he wants to get off without prison time because he's famous and is willing to finally pony up?  I don't think so. 

Three years in prison is hardly crucifixion. 

Ezekiel, by how much do you think your tax bill should be increased to pay for the increase in investigations and prosecutions of tax fraud that would be caused by this guy and his co-conspirators getting off easy?

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2008, 08:52:23 PM »
He'll just steal someone's eye and use it to get out, beat up some San Angeles police, and then Stallone will be sent after him.

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2008, 03:10:15 AM »
Wow!!! shocked

36 months executed!  .gov really needs the money.  Usually they put them on House Arrest and make the defendant pay it back.

I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2008, 03:32:13 AM »
Wow!!! shocked

36 months executed!  .gov really needs the money.  Usually they put them on House Arrest and make the defendant pay it back.

He'll probably be out in 12 months.  Maybe even less if he gets a movie deal...

edit:   HTH did I lose 'months'?

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2008, 04:38:53 AM »
Snipes was acquitted on two felony charges of filing false claims and fraud in seeking millions of dollars of refunds in other tax years.

They cut him a big break there.  He got off easy IMO.

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2008, 04:48:04 AM »
No, he deserves what he gets.  Now, I have to admit that I've not yet experienced personally the pain of writing a large tax check.  I only inched up into the middle-class brackets a couple times before ditching it all to go back to school, and I didn't have any tax liability this year, *but* guys who willfully resist paying all taxes are a huge drain on the nation.

And to think, the people of this land once revolted over a few pennies tax on tea, paper and whiskey.  How we have fallen.

No, runaway spending is a huge drain on the nation.  'Specially the welfare programs, which consistently outrank National Defense.  The latter is a legitimate function of the Feds, the former is not.

Source: http://www.federalbudget.com/
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2008, 04:55:40 AM »
No, runaway spending is a huge drain on the nation.  'Specially the welfare programs, which consistently outrank National Defense.

And that spending will increase, thanks to the Republican sponsored Medicare Part D signed into law by a Republican president. 

• friends
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2008, 05:27:29 AM »

"And to think, the people of this land once revolted over a few pennies tax on tea, paper and whiskey.  How we have fallen."

not fallen far enough to forget the lil phrase "without representation"
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2008, 05:30:31 AM »
No, runaway spending is a huge drain on the nation.  'Specially the welfare programs, which consistently outrank National Defense.

And that spending will increase, thanks to the Republican sponsored Medicare Part D signed into law by a Republican president. 

But, you like bigger fed.gov programs, yet you hate Republicans, yet, yet.......

You make my brain hurt McPaddy.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Ezekiel

• friend
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2008, 05:48:33 AM »
This all brings us back to my original thought: he is being made example of.

1.  He pays what is owed.
2.  He pays some fines.
3.  He gets some time.

How much $$$ am I paying to keep a celebrity inmate in jail over an issue that has been resolved?  More than I should have to.  (Just like the taxes, to be honest.)  Recall, this guy was acquitted of FRAUD, he just didn't file.

Right?
Zeke

• friends
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2008, 05:51:52 AM »
didn't file and when caught wasn't smart enough to own up and pay up.hopefully they put him where you gotta pay to stay. or a texas style work program

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2008, 06:18:37 AM »
But, you like bigger fed.gov programs,

I never said that.  What I have said, over and over again, is that .gov is too big and spends too much of our money.  I don't want huge transfers of wealth via massive welfare programs.  Neither do I want government to coddle and favor corporate interests at the expense of the common man, the middle class working citizen.  I want representative government of the people, by the people and for the people.  Republicans rape, pillage, and screw us every bit as much as Democrats in their incestous relationship with corporations and big money.

Ezekiel

• friend
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2008, 06:34:03 AM »
didn't file and when caught wasn't smart enough to own up and pay up.

Excellent point.

hopefully they put him where you gotta pay to stay. or a texas style work program

That would quell my issues.
Zeke

• friends
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2008, 06:39:30 AM »
the irs isn't that bad  scary but not that bad  i survived 3 personal audits  2 buisness and never paid more twice got additional refund. i also went underground and didn't file for 14 years and resurfaced painlessly

HankB

• friend
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2008, 09:44:35 AM »

I think many of the posters here, in spite of the (well-deserved) scorn they heap on democrats, are VERY upset with the profligate spending of the Bushmen and the GOP congress during the first six years of W's administration.

To paraphrase Alan Greenspan's comments on the topic of GOP spending, shortly after the last Congressional election: " . . . they deserved to lose . . . "

As for Mr. Snipes . . . I don't like paying taxes either, and as far as I'm concerned, .gov has NO moral claim on the fruits of my labor, his labor, or anyone else's labor.

But I'm not fool enough to (as Ayn Rand put it) lay down in front of the juggernaut and get crushed.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2008, 09:53:00 AM »
He'll probably be out in 12.  Maybe even less if he gets a movie deal...

Fire, nope, it's federal court.  He has to do 85% and then supervised release.

However, I think he should be Cat 0-1 and in the range on the sentencing matrix that allows half of the sentence to be done on House Arrest.  Have to see the sentecing order to make certain.
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2008, 08:12:44 PM »
Not political.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2008, 08:14:04 PM »
IBTL?

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2008, 08:18:21 PM »
WCTBW?
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2008, 08:31:29 PM »
WCTBW?
Must confess ign'ance of that particular acronym.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2008, 08:34:34 PM »
Wha'chu talkin 'bout, Willis?

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2008, 08:48:50 PM »
Ah. In before the lock... since the "not political" remark usually means the hand of mod[erator] is coming down (with great vengeance and furious anger).