Author Topic: Thermostat wars  (Read 3146 times)

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
Thermostat wars
« on: April 24, 2008, 08:11:49 PM »
Every time the seasons change, thermostat wars break out in our household. My wife insists that September is much too early to be turning up the heat, even if it's 50 degrees in the house. Come May or so, she insists that it's too early to put on the A/C, even if the temps in the house are close to 80.

She also insists on opening windows in the spring as soon as the temperature outside gets close to 60 degrees.  Granted, 60 degrees in April when you're outside feels quite comfortable. But it's not a comfortable temperature for sitting in the house. What's more, she ignores the fact that the 60 degree temps will drop into the 40's after the sun goes down. And 44 degrees is definitely not a good temperature for anything in the house, unless you're a bottle of milk in the refrigerator.

Larger battles loom, though. When we're at 80 degrees outside, I'll put on the A/C. And invariably she'll say, "but there's such a nice breeze."

"Yeah," I'll reply, "but it's an 80-degree breeze."

This evening I turned the thermostat up to 70. Sometime in the middle of the night she's going to turn it way down, and I'll wake up with icicles in my nostrils.

I'm really tempted to pitch a tent for her in the back yard.

What'cha think?

BridgeRunner

• friend
Re: Thermostat wars
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2008, 08:19:13 PM »
I'm on her side (big shock, I know  laugh). 

I enjoy feeling the seasons a bit, even when I'm indoors.  We don't have central air, and our big window unit is loud and annoying, so it's a last resort.  We also have funky baseboard and ceiling panel electric heat with finicky controls, so heat is likewise a last resort, but even when we had more modern equipment, I preferred to hold off on the artificial stuff as much as possible.

I also find I sleep very poorly in a too-warm room and get breathing problems, so if I wake up in a too-hot bedroom (usually from fussy heater), I'll take myself to the living room couch for the ret of the night where it's cooler. 

Don't you find it irksome paying hefty energy bills year-round?  I rather enjoy the respite from high energy costs in April, May, September, and October.  I also just like getting the windows open as often as possible to air the place out. 

But then, I'd also enjoy a tent in the backyard.  grin

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2008, 01:17:37 AM »
I know when I have to deal with the occasional office stat war I put a little sign over the stat with a skull and crossed bones that says, "Danger Do NOT TOUCH!"

Believe it or not, it works.

Ok, maybe not in your case...  grin
Avoid cliches like the plague!

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2008, 01:50:53 AM »
Separate rooms = serparate A/C's.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2008, 02:08:07 AM »
I have this problem....but at work.

We have one girl whose always cold and has the chicken timers to prove it.  She frequently sneaks the thermostat up to not 70, not even 75.  Frickin 80!  I'm sorry, but if you are that chilly put on a friggin sweater.  You can put more on, I can only take so much off and even then still be hot. 

Maintenance threw a fit one day because it's the middle of winter and third shift idiots on the dock turned it up to 95!  Wear a pullover and move your asses you wont be cold.  Day shift about had heat stroke.

Oh yes, thermostat wars happen daily at my work.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2008, 02:39:44 AM »
Come May or so, she insists that it's too early to put on the A/C, even if the temps in the house are close to 80.

80? EIGHTY? AHAHAHA YOU ARE WEAK! WEAK I SAY!

It is 90+ here now.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

mfree

• friend
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2008, 04:06:15 AM »
I have a range of comfort. In the green is between 65 and 75. Orange is 60-65 and 75-77. Red is under and over those... I'll let it slide till it's orange then I *might* flip the climate controls on if I'm feeling it, but red zone gets modified EVERY time.

Except if it's feeling damp, then I'll run it just to change/dry the air.

Heck, Day before yesterday I turned the AC on after having the windows open and an exhaust fan running for over a week... night's coldest was 63 and the warmest was 75. It's getting too warm now though...

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2008, 05:19:58 AM »
Can't get the wife to open windows, even when its 72* with a light breeze out (like right now).
Can't get her to have morning nookie, either.
Life is life.
 laugh
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2008, 05:35:02 AM »
But, but, but, the morning is the best!  Breezes, that is.  angel

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2008, 05:44:20 AM »
Thermostat wars as Casa de la Charby also.

In the winter time Mrs Charby likes it at 70 day and night, I like 60 at night and 65 during the day, we compromised on 65 all the time. We sleep in separate beds most of the winter because she has a damn electric blanket and you could cook a roast under those covers. Plus the coils of the electric blanket are uncomfortable to sleep on.

Plus if we get a warm day in the winter, like upper 50's she opens the windows to air the house out, but doesn't turn the furnace off. I get extremely pissed about that.

In the summer time she wants the temp to be 68 all the time, I told her temp stays at 80. No compromise there and I think I am going to get a cage to put in the thermostat so she can't adjust it. 80 with no humidity is very comfortable.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2008, 06:24:06 AM »
We don't have a thermostat - we have a wood stove.

So the question is light a fire or put another log on or not ...?

But you can always stand next to the stove to get warm, and some of the other rooms are cold enough to hang meat.

In the summer, we open the windows at night and close them before it starts to get hot in the morning.  The house usually stays comfortable most of the day, at least till about 5pm.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

coppertales

• friend
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2008, 10:19:10 AM »
Women are like that.  If it is below 73 degrees, they are cold.  If it is above 73 degrees, they are too hot.  If it is 73 degrees, it depends on the time of month wether or not they are cold or hot.

We used to have a girl in the office that worked the thermostat to death every day.  Her desk was right by the thermostat.  She would feel cold/hot and would reach up and reef the 'stat one way or the other.  Then the damper would come open and deliver hot/cold air.  Then she would get hot/cold and would reef the 'stat in the other direction.  This happed several times an hour.  One day I kept track of how many times she moved the 'stat and told her.  She did not beleive me so I just pointed out to her when she moved the thermostat the next day.......chris3

BrokenPaw

• friends
  • Sedit qvi timvit ne non svccederet.
    • ShadowGrove Interpath Ministry
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2008, 10:25:34 AM »
We have one girl whose always cold and has the chicken timers to prove it.

Never heard that one before.  Took a bit of philosophical ponderment before the clue hit.

Whoa.

-BP
Seek out wisdom in books, rare manuscripts, and cryptic poems if you will, but seek it also in simple stones and fragile herbs and in the cries of wild birds. Listen to the song of the wind and the roar of water if you would discover magic, for it is here that the old secrets are still preserved.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2008, 10:28:12 AM »
kind of bass ackwards though.

The chickens are done before the oven heats up grin
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2008, 10:34:38 AM »
If it is too cold at night, roll over and tell your wife she has to help you warm up.  She might get up and change the thermostat for you.  Cheesy
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

TF_FH

• friend
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2008, 11:50:29 AM »
My thermostat at work is controlled by another office.  With a blind guy in it.  Who turns the dial all the way down to 50(the lowest setting)because he gets too hot.  So in the winter, it will be set at 50 when he goes home and the office is locked.  Well, my shop works late.  We don't like Kent much in the winter.

I still don't understand why the hell you would let a blind guy screw with the thermostat if you are in that office.  But they let him and then they complain about it.  So we put a file cabinet against it. 

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2008, 12:37:06 PM »
Did you tell the blind guy about the filing cabinet, or did you just let him bump into it?

Glad to know I'm not alone in the temperature wars. I wouldn't get cold so easily if I weren't sitting at a computer all day.

As for morning nookie, you guys haven't been married for several decades, have you? Wink

TF_FH

• friend
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2008, 12:59:41 PM »
Nah, didnt tell him, the thermostat was right behind it to begin with.  I just moved it so close he cant fit his hand in there.

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2008, 01:44:23 PM »
The trick, if it is not already too late, is to put out a dummy thermostat.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2008, 08:25:37 AM »
Hey, at least you're only arguing about the temperature you both want.

I'm still arguing with Mrs. Dual, that in summer, setting the thermostat to 65 won't get the house down to 75 "faster"..

She still does not understand that the thermostat is not a "throttle".
I promise not to duck.

taurusowner

« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2008, 11:41:58 PM »
Well the obvious answer is that neither of you are smart enought to know what's best for you.  Do what Cali tried to do and hand over control of you thermostat to .gov and let them decied what temp your house should be and how much energy you use.

Geeze.  Don't you know that the State always knows best?