Author Topic: Dateline Alaska Apr. 25: 12+ inches of snow since 9 am and it's still falling  (Read 5442 times)

wooderson

• friend
Oh, and BTW? It IS related. Guess who started the carbon credit ponzi scheme in the first place:

You seem to be reading a different statement than I am. Nothing there says the IPCC had anything to do with "starting carbon credits." It referred to, apparently, the trading of pollution credits - a system that's been functioning in several forms since before the first IPCC report, much less a 2007 statement.

You should read more carefully.

I just pointed out that carbon credits came from an IPCC (UN!) statement in the first place. Show me how that's not germane.
Because the discussion was about the (alleged) alteration of 'global warming' to 'climate change.' Nothing at all about carbon credits - hence not germane.

Staying on topic is hard stuff, I know.
"The famously genial grin turned into a rictus of senile fury: I was looking at a cruel and stupid lizard."

wooderson

• friend
Anyway, back on topic, I looked them up and looked around their website.  Anti-UN sentiments aside (I'm not a big fan), they look like they could be "good" guys, in that they claim to provide unbiased analyses of scientific information.  Of course, my ignorant and untargeted spur-of-the-moment glance at their site provides little real information.  Is there anything interesting that you think I/we should look at, or are you just going to shake your head at me/us?

Do you really think there is no effort to change the language they use?
Begging the question so soon?

We've already established that 'climate change' has been the dominant scientific term of choice for as long as the topic has been relevant enough to inspire study.

So, no, there's 'no effort to change the language they use' - because they've always used the same terms. Climate change is the broad phenomenon under study - 'global warming' is one element.

global heating will cause serious problems--then what happens if/when small cooling trends occur?  Do they argue for insignificance of cooling trends (like, say, "it cooled much less in the last downtrend than it heated in the preceding uptrend"), provide more information on confounding effects (like atmospheric dust or solar activity or something), or simply change the language they use?

You fail to illustrate that there has been a cooling trend, or that the IPCC has responded to/discussed it. You merely assign them a negative response and then demand answers to justify that negative response.

Is there any reason to believe that the IPCC would lie? Wouldn't alter its findings?

Given their initial premises, one of the three examples of what they could do is dishonest. 
We can draft the same hypothetical about any individual or entity in any situation - and assign them potential dishonest motives or actions, and then demand answers.

But we don't do that, because "have you stopped beating your wife yet" still doesn't have a good answer.
"The famously genial grin turned into a rictus of senile fury: I was looking at a cruel and stupid lizard."

Sergeant Bob

• friend
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

wooderson

• friend
Shorter sentences or smaller words?

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
Yep, We'll just have Winter and Summer, with no Spring or Fall in between.   rolleyes

I call that "last week".  grin

For the record.  My post was merely complaining about leaving for work in a light drizzle and leaving from work postholing in over a foot of unseasonable (but not unheard of) snow.

The "Al Gore" joke was just that, a joke, it's become an internet meme for remarks on odd weather.

Given I used it in terms of a freaking Ricky Ricardo quote, I suppose I assumed folks, even GCC true believers, would catch that it wasn't serious.

Lighten up Francis.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
Shorter sentences or smaller words?

Less superciliousness.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
Yep, We'll just have Winter and Summer, with no Spring or Fall in between.   rolleyes

I call that "last week".  grin

For the record.  My post was merely complaining about leaving for work in a light drizzle and leaving from work postholing in over a foot of unseasonable (but not unheard of) snow.

The "Al Gore" joke was just that, a joke, it's become an internet meme for remarks on odd weather.

Given I used it in terms of a freaking Ricky Ricardo quote, I suppose I assumed folks, even GCC true believers, would catch that it wasn't serious.

Lighten up Francis.

Carebear, it would appear when you make jokes concerning "Climate Change", "Global Warming", or whatever they're calling it this month, you are doing the equivalent of insulting a religion.  The consequences have been quite severe for some who have questioned or insulted the orthodoxy.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
Rudy, if I didn't say so before, welcome to APS!

BTW, depending on your audience, you may have to give it up on the humor thing.

Wooderson had his sense of humor surgically removed, I figure sometime between his dismissal at THR and his arrival here at APS, although I remember him having a few moments at THR, too. "Lighten up, Francis" gets interjected quite often when he's involved.

He's known as the Wet Blanket of APS, and between him, the late Tecumseh, and Paddy McRiley, his task here is to keep things "interesting", sometime in the Chinese sense of the word.

Lurk a little while longer and you'll see what I mean.

Don't worry, though, the rest of us chuckled at your /newspeak tag.  Cheesy
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

wooderson

• friend
sniff-sniff, Gewehr doesn't appreciate my sense of humor. Why don't we have an emoticon for crying?

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Right now we need an emoticon for really pissed off and ready to break some heads...  angry
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ex-MA Hole

• friend
    • The Brown Bomber
Rudy, While I can neither confirm nor deny the following statement, welcome to our little corner of the internet.

You'll find that 99.999% of us are friendly, some are, well, you'll see.

Since you seem to have one or two brain cells in your head that allow for rational conversation, you'll do fine here.

If you have any questions regarding forum "demeanor", feel free to ask, either in a post, or PM one of the mods.

Mark

Rudy, if I didn't say so before, welcome to APS!

BTW, depending on your audience, you may have to give it up on the humor thing.

Wooderson had his sense of humor surgically removed, I figure sometime between his dismissal at THR and his arrival here at APS, although I remember him having a few moments at THR, too. "Lighten up, Francis" gets interjected quite often when he's involved.

He's known as the Wet Blanket of APS, and between him, the late Tecumseh, and Paddy McRiley, his task here is to keep things "interesting", sometime in the Chinese sense of the word.

Lurk a little while longer and you'll see what I mean.

Don't worry, though, the rest of us chuckled at your /newspeak tag.  Cheesy
One day at a time.