Author Topic: Barak Obama Vs Rev. Wright  (Read 3204 times)

grampster

• friend
Barak Obama Vs Rev. Wright
« on: April 28, 2008, 06:33:15 PM »
This is just my own humble opinion.  I think Barak Obama is pissed at Rev. Wright for only one reason:  Rev. Wright let the cat out of the bag.

I think Rev. Wright is the quintessential liberal capitalist:  Someone outside of his church finally listened to what he was saying.  He stuck his foot in his mouth, but is smart enough to realize there is money to be made from the 15 minutes of fame that Obama has given him.

The irony in the relationship is that they both thought the other was going to be an asset, except they never told each other.  Seems it worked for Wright.

Really amusing to watch the show.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Manedwolf

• friend
Re: Barak Obama Vs Rev. Wright
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2008, 08:13:34 PM »
Wright wants to be Jesse Jackson. He's already making a TON of money despite being a "preacher"...what happened to charity?

As it is, he's right on course to be a national gadfly forever, with books sold by the thousands, and all it took was throwing Obama under the bus.

Leatherneck

• friend
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2008, 02:46:13 AM »
Well said, MW. He's thrown BoB under the bus for true. And Obama doesn't have the wits to realize he's toast. He should have sadly jettisoned his old friend and mentor early on, but now it's too late. The media won't stop chewing this bone until it's shredded to pieces, along with the Obama campaign. Time to turn attention to Hillary and see if she just might have any weaknesses that can be exploited.  grin

TC
TC
RT Refugee

Marvin Dao

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2008, 09:09:24 AM »
This is just my own humble opinion.  I think Barak Obama is pissed at Rev. Wright for only one reason:  Rev. Wright let the cat out of the bag.

I think Rev. Wright is the quintessential liberal capitalist:  Someone outside of his church finally listened to what he was saying.  He stuck his foot in his mouth, but is smart enough to realize there is money to be made from the 15 minutes of fame that Obama has given him.

The irony in the relationship is that they both thought the other was going to be an asset, except they never told each other.  Seems it worked for Wright.

Really amusing to watch the show.

I think it's the reverse. Wright's been a prime mover in Chicago and black Christian liberation theology for a long time and has always had his share of attention. It wasn't until recently that Barack eclipsed him. Before that, Wright's been in the vanguard of Obama's campaign and community outreach efforts, especially in areas pertaining to Obama's black pol credentials. But when the primary campaign started, Wright was shuffled off into the background and his sermons and his belief systems were explained away by the "relic-of-the-past crazy uncle saying crazy things" dodge.

IMO, Reverend Wright is pissed at Obama and he's intentionally sabotaging Obama's campaign. He's incensed that Obama put him out to pasture the moment he became a political liability. And given that Wright considers himself a mainstream, bright black intellectual, the "crazy uncle" explanation from Obama likely went over like a lead balloon. His actions have also gotten more radical as Obama has distanced himself farther away. First the Farrakhan recognition ceremony in January, then the initial flareup when his church released the videos for some of his more controversial sermons, and his recent interviews. It's looking likely that the Wright's setting up the controversy to last through the election, and finally culminating in the book he's releasing later this year.

Plus, what better way to prove that America is a racist country at it's core than to have the first black presidential candidate from a major political party fail miserably when November rolls around?

Ezekiel

• friend
  • Intellectual Masturbationist
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2008, 11:17:14 AM »
Barack denounces Pastor: Just in!

By Jeff Mason 18 minutes ago

Democratic Sen. Barack Obama strongly denounced his former pastor on Tuesday, saying he was outraged by assertions made by Rev. Jeremiah Wright about the U.S. government and race that have disrupted Obama's presidential campaign.

The controversy over Wright has been a major stumbling block for the Illinois senator, who is leading New York Sen. Hillary Clinton in the state-by-state contest for the party's nomination for the November election.

Obama was forced to address the issue after an appearance by Wright on Monday at the National Press Club in Washington, where he repeated earlier suggestions that the United States deserved some blame for the September 11 attacks and that the government had had a hand in spreading AIDS to blacks.

"I am outraged by the comments that were made and saddened over the spectacle that we saw," Obama told reporters as he campaigned for the North Carolina vote against Clinton next Tuesday.

"The person that I saw yesterday was not the person that I met 20 years ago. His comments were not only divisive and destructive but I believe that they end up giving comfort to those who prey on hate," Obama said.

Wright's comments have undercut the campaign of Obama, the son of a white mother and a black father who has based his campaign on a promise to unite the country after years of sharp political and racial divisions.

Wright had also questioned the senator's honesty, saying he had been pandering to voters when he earlier denounced the pastor's words. "If Senator Obama did not say what he said, he would never get elected," Wright said.

Obama, unsmiling and choosing his words carefully, responded: "At a certain point if what somebody says contradicts what you believe so fundamentally and then he questions whether or not you believe it -- in front of the National Press Club -- then that's enough."

"That's a show of disrespect to me. It is also, I think, an insult to what we've been trying to do" on the campaign, he added. "Whatever relationship I had with Reverend Wright has changed as a consequence of this."

Wright, asked on Monday about a speech in which he asserted the September 11 attacks were retaliation for U.S. foreign policy, said: "You cannot do terrorism on other people and not expect it to come back to you."

Asked about another sermon in which he suggested the U.S. government created the AIDS virus to kill black people, Wright said: "Based on what has happened to Africans in this country, I believe our government is capable of doing anything."

Wright, who presided over Obama's wedding and baptized his children, is now semi-retired from Chicago's Trinity United Church of Christ, which Obama joined 20 years ago.
Zeke

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2008, 11:35:53 AM »
Democratic Sen. Barack Obama strongly denounced his former pastor on Tuesday, saying he was outraged by assertions made by Rev. Jeremiah Wright about the U.S. government and race that have disrupted Obama's presidential campaign.

Really? He just noticed that?

I seem to recall this story coming out a month ago at least... and B.O. gave a cutesy speech on evil white racism (IIRC) in response.

Ezekiel

• friend
  • Intellectual Masturbationist
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2008, 11:41:46 AM »
Obama didn't say he disagreed, he said he is outraged that it [assertions] has disrupted his campaign.
Zeke

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2008, 12:05:37 PM »
Obama didn't say he disagreed, he said he is outraged that it [assertions] has disrupted his campaign.
Oh... of course. Mad he's getting called on it, not that he believes it. Typical white person.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2008, 06:16:40 PM »

Zeke cuts to the heart of it.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

BrokenPaw

• friends
  • Sedit qvi timvit ne non svccederet.
    • ShadowGrove Interpath Ministry
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2008, 06:55:22 AM »
I believe that they end up giving comfort to those who prey on hate
This is a beautiful line; it says almost nothing, but it implies a lot, because we've all heard of "giving aid and comfort to the enemy" as a definition of treason, and "giving comfort" is a turn of phrase that's rarely used in any other context.

Obama just played the treason card in the subconscious minds of millions of people who aren't paying careful attention.  He associated Wright with terrorism, in a subtle enough way that he still has plausible deniability.

He's more insidious than I'd given him credit for.
-BP

Seek out wisdom in books, rare manuscripts, and cryptic poems if you will, but seek it also in simple stones and fragile herbs and in the cries of wild birds. Listen to the song of the wind and the roar of water if you would discover magic, for it is here that the old secrets are still preserved.