Author Topic: Northwestern rescinds honorary degree for Rev. Wright  (Read 5029 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Northwestern rescinds honorary degree for Rev. Wright
« on: May 01, 2008, 10:19:09 AM »
May 1 (Bloomberg) -- Northwestern University withdrew an invitation for the Reverend Jeremiah Wright to receive an honorary degree at this year's commencement.

Wright, former pastor to Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama, was selected to be honored at the June ceremony in Evanston, Illinois, on the recommendation of faculty committees, Alan Cubbage, vice president for university relations, said in a statement.

``In light of the controversy around Dr. Wright and to ensure the celebratory character of commencement not be affected, the university has withdrawn its invitation to Dr. Wright,'' Cubbage said.

Obama, an Illinois senator, has repeatedly denounced Wright's statements, which have included praise for Nation of Islam leader Louis Farrakhan and a suggestion that the U.S. government was capable of developing AIDS to infect black people.

Wright's statements ``offend me, they rightly offend all Americans and they should be denounced and that's what I'm doing very clearly and unequivocally today,'' Obama said in a news conference in Winston-Salem, North Carolina, on April 29.

Obama's relationship with Wright came under renewed scrutiny when his former pastor repeated some of his statements, including that U.S. policy was partly to blame for the Sept. 11 attacks, during a speech at the National Press Club in Washington on April 28.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ezekiel

• friend
  • Intellectual Masturbationist
Re: Northwestern rescinds honorary degree for Rev. Wright
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2008, 10:29:21 AM »
This is a free country and Wright can say/feel as he desires.

The above is a just consequence from those who disagree.
Zeke

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2008, 10:34:40 AM »
Yes, but a University also has a right to grant (or not grant) honary degrees to whomever they want.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2008, 10:36:35 AM »
Did anyone say that the Rev. doesn't have the right to say what he wishes?

What a lot of people seem to forget, though, is that even though you might have the right to say what you want, you don't have the right or expectation that I will either A) agree with what you say, or B) listen to you in the first place.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ezekiel

• friend
  • Intellectual Masturbationist
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2008, 10:42:32 AM »
Did anyone say that the Rev. doesn't have the right to say what he wishes?

What a lot of people seem to forget, though, is that even though you might have the right to say what you want, you don't have the right or expectation that I will either A) agree with what you say, or B) listen to you in the first place.

Hence, I support the University in doing what it thinks is correct.

It is a consequence of Wright saying what he -- can he possibly? -- believes.
Zeke

HankB

• friend
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2008, 10:44:32 AM »
This is a free country and Wright can say/feel as he desires.

The above is a just consequence from those who disagree.
Very true . . .

* Wright is not in danger of being imprisoned for calling on the Almighty to damn America.

* The Dixie Chicks didn't have the Feds standing by to clap them in irons when they returned from Europe after their anti-Bush remarks.

* Don Imus wasn't arrested and thrown in jail for his "nappy headed ho's" comment.

But you know something? OTHER people have the right to say what they want, too, even if its to condemn what YOU said.

They can also rescind invitations, deny honorary degrees, stop buying albums, and peacefully advocate that others do the same as well.

Your right to mouth off in no way obligates anyone else to listen to you . . . or to subsidize your speech.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2008, 01:18:42 PM »
Funny how everyone is agreeing here, but still yelling at each other. 

As for Northwestern, it's a shame to see them keepin' a brother down this way.   smiley
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2008, 04:44:51 PM »
Note the university is concerned over the controversy and not his beliefs.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2008, 04:49:32 PM »
Looks like his sting of UNINVITED continues.....  poxy bastard. 

If that guy really hates The States that much, he ought to go back to the Africa he seems to love so much.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2008, 05:27:41 PM »
Freedom has always had consequences.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2008, 06:23:42 PM »
If that guy really hates The States that much, he ought to go back to the Africa he seems to love so much.

You wanna skate a little closer to the edge of racism, there? 

SomeKid

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2008, 07:24:53 PM »

It is not racial. Wright is an Afro-Centric type. He considers Africa and its peoples superior to America.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2008, 07:30:19 PM »
I don't think he meant it in a racist way.  Problem is, it sounds like it. 

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2008, 07:49:39 PM »

"If you love it so much why don't you marry it?" Is that the gist of what you are saying?
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2008, 01:55:09 AM »

Nope, none whatsoever.  Wright had made his position CRYSTAL clear, I'm just pointing at it.

stevelyn

• friend
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2008, 05:13:53 AM »
I was watching Glenn Beck lastnight who was running all of "Rev." Wrights controversial comments.....er rants that he says were taken out of context. In full context they were still controversial.

I was struck by the fact that all of them were made during what looked to be "church" services.

Now I might be a godless heathen, but I was under the impression that one goes to church to learn how to be a better person in the pursuit of a better life and afterlife not to attend a weekly hate filled political rally.

Of course I could be wrong and if I am, I think I'll just continue being a godless heathen.
Be careful that the toes you step on now aren't connected to the ass you have to kiss later.

Eat Moose. Wear Wolf.