Author Topic: The Myth of the "Highly Educated" Obama Voter  (Read 11662 times)

MicroBalrog

• friend
Re: The Myth of the "Highly Educated" Obama Voter
« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2008, 09:56:48 AM »
By troop ship, mostly  laugh  Then there was that little affair at Pearl Harbor.

In all technicality, the question was too broad. U.S. troops also deployed in Europe in WWII, and John Paul Jones served and trained with the Russian Navy, and before that, sailed the Ranger to France. He counts, right? Cheesy
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2008, 11:48:21 AM »
I was thinking we deployed to Europe because Hitler declared war on the US, but I guess 'troop ship' works.  By parachute?
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

ConfuseUs

• friend
« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2008, 11:24:28 AM »
Funny, someone posted a link to a civics awareness test in the comments to that blog. The results in this table are disturbing:

http://www.americancivicliteracy.org/report/tables.html#table21

It's easy to beat the average Harvard senior at this though!

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2008, 02:45:44 PM »
His constituency is about as "highly educated" as he and his wife are.  All hat, no cattle.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

FTA84

• friend
« Reply #29 on: June 05, 2008, 05:48:42 AM »
Maybe I will chime in a bit here.

I did my undergraduate at a small state university (my family was very poor) but did my doctoral work (on fellowships and grants) at an 'elite' university and I have taught at other 'elite' universities as well.  Many of my fellow graduate students had done their undergraduate work in the Ivy league (Princeton, Harvard, Dartmouth, Cornell to be exact) or their equivalent (Cambridge, MIT).

I have noted three main differences between undergraduate experience at an 'elite' school and a bad state university: (These conclusions are based on interactions with students and colleagues)

1) 98% of them pay to get into elite universities.  That is, they have private high school and middle school educations.  Coming from a 'known' high school is a big part of getting admissions into these 'elite' schools.  These high schools often omit basic courses (perhaps on WWII?) in order to fluff up transcripts with 'multivariable calculus' and 'advanced organic chemistry'.  Then the schools themselves cost $60 - $80k a year to attend (with housing).  At the time, this was astonishing to me as my parents struggled to pay off a 30 year loan on a house that cost $15k!

2) Their futures are assured because people who went to X think everyone who ever went to X must also be above the rest.  Therefore, straight out of X, they will get jobs with perks and benefits they do not deserve and will make salaries they do not earn.  The elite universities keep records of companies run by former graduates.  From my understanding, all you need to do is contact one of these companies and tell them you graduated from this university and you will get a job (at the very least, an interview).  It is the most effective way to get people to pay that kind of money for an education!  Combine this with point 1, and you see that these 'elite' universities are modern day form of the old feudal systems.  Mom/Pops has money, power, and connections then passes it onto the child.

3) There are some very gifted people at these universities, they make up about 1% of the class.  The rest of the class pays to be there (and/or has influence because their family has gone for generations) and then points to the 1% as people they equal.  In fact, little do they know they only equal the top 25% of people at state universities.  Those gifted people, rarely, if ever, take courses with regular students in their areas of enlightenment.

I am not surprised at all that they did not know basic facts about WWII.  It seems that their education is based largely on 'talking' about X instead of doing X.  They have overly burdensome vocabularies which they use incorrectly (because they don't know the meaning of the words they use) simply as a method to try and confuse you into thinking they have a correct argument.  This is because, at these schools, you could never admit to not knowing how/why such large words are being used.

In any event, back on topic, the "highly educated" Obama voter sounds like a scam made up by the MSM to try to remove the image of "blue collar" from the democratic party.

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #30 on: June 05, 2008, 06:40:01 AM »
Not surprised at the (lack of) history knowledge. For my degree plan, I had classes on TX and US government - mainly, how things are run, important legal rulings, etc. Had two US history classes, covering the time period from the Pilgrims to the Cuban Missile Crisis. One, maybe two weeks on WWII.
That's it. Had to cover The Great Depression, Reconstruction, Civil War, etc.
I know the answers to all those questions - because I've studied the topic in my spare time (in the halcyon(sp) days before Wikipedia). I'm in Engineering.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #31 on: June 05, 2008, 06:40:48 AM »
All of this rather explains why the Obamaniacs are so enthusiastic about "solutions" that have failed over and over.

They don't know their history.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #32 on: June 05, 2008, 07:25:59 AM »
They have overly burdensome vocabularies which they use incorrectly (because they don't know the meaning of the words they use)

"You learned some pretty big words at school - I wish to God they had taught you some meanings!" GW McLintock

grin
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

agricola

• friend
« Reply #33 on: June 05, 2008, 08:01:04 AM »
This is probably a form of aspirational politics - ie:  you vote for Obama, and you are a "highly educated" white voter who is definately not a racist.  If you dont, you are probably a white-sheet wearing, cross-burning bitter hick who has nothing going for them.
"Idiot!  A long life eating mush is best."
"Make peace, you fools"

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #34 on: June 05, 2008, 08:16:42 AM »
The Politics of Projection. grin
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #35 on: June 06, 2008, 01:30:42 AM »
Funny, someone posted a link to a civics awareness test in the comments to that blog. The results in this table are disturbing:

http://www.americancivicliteracy.org/report/tables.html#table21

It's easy to beat the average Harvard senior at this though!

You answered 57 out of 60 correctly  95.00 %

Had I not gotten Johnson and JAckson mixed up...
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #36 on: June 06, 2008, 07:12:13 AM »
http://www.americancivicliteracy.org/resources/quiz.aspx

I only got 80%
Guess I'm just an uneducated hick that will have to vote for Mcain.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #37 on: June 06, 2008, 07:58:00 AM »
I got 98.33%, but since I still bitterly cling to my guns, I'll never vote for Obama.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #38 on: June 06, 2008, 08:01:58 AM »
I got 98.33%, but since I still bitterly cling to my guns, I'll never vote for Obama.

You must be autistic or something since you did so well but still do not support the Messiah's message.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #39 on: June 06, 2008, 08:07:37 AM »

You must be autistic or something since you did so well but still do not support the Messiah's message.

Not austistic, but in addition to reading Plato, Locke, Paine, de Tocqueville, Adam Smith, Milton Freeman, etc.  I also read the Torah.  Something in there about some commandments and numero uno as being "Thou shall have no other G-ds before me."   grin
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #40 on: June 06, 2008, 08:34:59 AM »
93.33 %

misread Johnson and Jackson as well Sad
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin