Author Topic: Tiger Direct-refurbished computers...experiences?  (Read 1464 times)

Fjolnirsson

• friends
  • The Anti-Claus
Tiger Direct-refurbished computers...experiences?
« on: May 05, 2008, 12:20:56 PM »
I need a "new" computer. Mine is an old refurbished Dell Dimension 4100. Windows 98, 192 MB of RAM. It barely limps along. I use it for web surfing(obviously), some business applications , medium to heavy word processing and photo storage/manipulation. I would like to play the Microsoft Flight Simulator, when I get a new machine. I expect my photo storage and manipulation to increase quite a bit, over the next few years.

I've heard some good things about Tiger Direct, and my only experience with a refurbished machine has been good, but I want y'alls opinion. I'm looking at this machine:http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3581365&Sku=M975-2007&SRCCODE=&CMP=ILC-GUIDE&GSID=40615957&GSESID=fgm53545jhgprhjqgnfrgnrc&GSCID=11 in particular, but I am open to advice. Really, that's as high as I was hoping to go for both the computer and a new monitor, but I am flexible.

Thoughts?
Hi.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Re: Tiger Direct-refurbished computers...experiences?
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2008, 01:11:37 PM »
Try the Dell Outlet Store.  Still some refurbs, but with a factory-backed warranty.

http://www1.us.dell.com/content/products/category.aspx/desktops?c=us&cs=22&l=en&s=dfh

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Leatherneck

• friend
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2008, 01:29:16 PM »
I bought a refurbished Dell Toughbook laptop for my son-in-law when he went to Iraq and it worked fine through his tour and is still ticking along without issues. Saved some money then.

TC
TC
RT Refugee

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2008, 01:31:26 PM »
I have had good luck with eCost and Costco refurbished machines.  Please note that in recent years, the service and ratings of eCost have slipped.  But you can still get good deals there.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2008, 06:33:27 PM »
Most "refurbished" computers are machines that some business guy bought for a weekend of flogging temps, and took back a couple-three days later. These are the same people who try to "buy" big-screen televisions the day before the Superbowl.

Or the family got it home, and couldn't figure out where the "on" switch was.

I've been using a newer "refurb" Dell I got through Tiger for the past year, and it's been great. Couldn't tell that it'd ever been outta the box.

I've also bought downright used (think a coupla generations of tech back) from Tiger, and they all functioned just fine.

Blog under construction

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2008, 09:26:28 PM »
Stay the heck away from eMachines, Fjolnirsson.  Many problems with motherboards being eaten by lousy power supplies.

Dell are pretty decent machines as a rule.  When there are problems, it's the occasional power supply issue, memory once in awhile, but usually nothing that isn't repairable.
They do use proprietary cases and motherboards in some (not all) models, making upgrades in those problematic.

Buying a machine from any of the big outfits means you get one loaded with lots of extra "crudware", stuff you have no use for.  But you can remove it.

I run a little computer business on the side.  Repairs, custom systems, etc., just down the road from you in Lebanon.  The website is www.ayscr.com.  Check it out, call if you like.  All the free advice you can handle.  I'd be happy to help a fellow APSer.

If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.