Author Topic: Battlestar Galactica Review  (Read 5880 times)

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Battlestar Galactica Review
« on: May 05, 2008, 12:39:31 PM »
Hi, my name is jfruser.  I have hillbilly cable teevee that only gets Discovery and a some Spanish language channels in addition to the locals.  And Oxygen <shudder>.

Hence, I have not seen any of the new BSG episodes until quite recently.  A neighbor was kind enough to rip them off his DVDs, save them to his external HD, and let me watch them. loan me his DVDs.

So far, I have seen seasons 1 & 2 and am halfway through season 3.

General Review
Overall, I think it is a very well-done series.  Probably the best TV in the last few years.  Not just "best scifi," which usually is an analog to "fastest gimp," "smartest feeb," and "prettiest female Russian weightlifter."

BSG is of high quality not due to special effects or ray beams, but because it pays attention to the basics: plot, character development, immutable human nature, acting, writing, direction, etc.

Matter of fact, BSG's special effects & battle scenes are not nearly as flashy as many produced in the last few years.  I think, however, they do well with what they have to work with and went with a grittier look for their space combat scenes.

Characters
Edward James Olmos has taken his role as CDR/ADM Adama and wiped the deck with it.  EJO has a spot-on combination of age, gravitas, and ferocity the role requires.

Mary McDonnell is a decent Colony President Laura Roslyn.  The character sometimes slops its way into PC ridiculousness, but does not dwell in the PC fever swamp for too long before she gets all bloody-minded, as the character needs to be in such a dire situation.

Katee Sackhoff as Kara Thrace/Starbuck does very well with the the now (NOW?) requisite "woman warrior who kicks everybody's ass" role found in some...er...most...er...every similar action flick.  If we're a-gonna have a token WWWKEA, KS pulls it off with the fewest cringe-worthy moments.

Michale Hogan's owns his Saul Tigh functional alcoholic character. 

Jamie Bamber as Lee Adama/Apollo is a bit of a disappointment.

Cylons
Making some of them darn-near-human was a wise choice.  Cyclopean shiny metal robots get boring, right quick, and half of the drama gets sucked right out if you are limited to robotic antagonists.

Making them corruptible by excess human contact was an even better idea.

Milieu
The creators did a fine job with setting, back story, etc.   I think such gets more attention since the LOTR hit the theaters.  Tolkien's works just pulsated with history and background, much of it not revealed at the time, only hinting at a leviathan under the surface.

The religion aspect of the humans is also well done.  It is polytheistic, but not shallow and perfunctory.  It even holds the key to their temporal salvation.

I enjoy the aversion to ray beams as evidenced by 9mm & 5.7mm pistols and what look like .50BMG rounds in the fighters.  I like the fact that nukes get used when appropriate.

Intersection with Contemporary Politics
I found a couple of the shows a bit cringe-worthy.  Take the episode that honed in on abortion.  Here we have the last remnants of the species fleeing for their lives and this is a debate?  Not only that, but the Pres has been "fighting for reproductive choice" all her life?  Gimme a break. 

The GWOT/BSG nexus is somewhat strained.  Painting the Cylons as American occupiers is snort-inducing.  Sorry, but the USA did not kill billions of Muslims, chase them across the Earth, and use their women as living incubators.

Getting Away with (almost) Murder
The officers of the BSG seem to bathe in teflon every day.

No bone-head call, act of stupidity, or flaunting of authority gets a good shellacking.

Oh, I get the bit about not having the luxury of booting personnel, due to the very few humans left.  But, some of what goes on needs more than token discipline...to maintain discipline.

Conclusion
Run and get yourself a copy of the series.  It is better than anything else on teevee and you don't have to watch commercials.

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Manedwolf

• friend
Re: Battlestar Galactica Review
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2008, 12:44:45 PM »
I'd been watching it on Universal HD.

The big capital ship battles, in widescreen HD, are jaw-droppingly gorgeous. So was the planetary vista of Kobol, their ancient world of origin, where, for once, a planet WAS NOT a California desert with scrubs. The oversaturated green moss and grass, blue sky and ruins, that was just amazing.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2008, 01:34:17 PM »
I have been a fan of BSG since the new incarnation.  You can watch the five most recently aired episodes online at www.hulu.com

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2008, 03:04:49 PM »
Pretty good review and pretty on the spot as for the characters. Some of what seems questionable to you now will be fleshed out in later episodes. Do no, I repeat, do not watch the most recent episodes if you can help it. Stick to the time line of the series.

I too love the grittiness of the space battles and how the fighters do not fly like airplanes. Have you seen the battle of New Caprica yet?
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2008, 04:33:59 PM »
With the flaming brick from hell at 90,000 feet, the camera focusing on a flash up in the sky, then refocusing on the shape so you realize what it is?

Quite. grin

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2008, 09:08:35 PM »
While I was a bit turned off by some of the boneheaded editing mistakes in the original mini-series, the extended run as really grown on me, with its mix of drama, adventure, plot twists and some damn fine acting.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2008, 09:49:59 PM »
Also, if you've not seen it, get the Razor movie.

It...wow. You get to see the last stand of other battlestars, plus they even tied in the obsolete old-style cylons. There's even a ship from the old TV series, three pilots and all.

And they handled it really well.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2008, 03:57:03 AM »
With the flaming brick from hell at 90,000 feet, the camera focusing on a flash up in the sky, then refocusing on the shape so you realize what it is?

Quite. grin

Doesn't happen very often but, I was like, Whoa Dude! grin
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2008, 06:56:17 AM »
"The GWOT/BSG nexus is somewhat strained.  Painting the Cylons as American occupiers is snort-inducing.  Sorry, but the USA did not kill billions of Muslims, chase them across the Earth, and use their women as living incubators."

What I particularly liked about the Occupation on New Caprica was that it blurred the lines between the "good" guys and the "bad" guys.  Using suicide bombers, mass executions in response, etc., showed how in reality, the line between "good" and "evil" often becomes difficult to find, and who makes that decision as to where the line is drawn often depends on who is winning the war in the press...

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2008, 05:46:57 PM »
Hokay, I am all caught up with BSG: finished Season 4 Episode 10.

I gotta say, ~1/4 into Season 3, the series tanked.  Hard.  I will watch the remaining 10 episodes of Season 4 for completeness' sake, just to see how they turned a silk purse into a sow's ear.

"And they have a plan," my lilly-white *expletive deleted*ss.  Season 3 was "Law & Order, Special Victims in Space" with plotlines "ripped from the headlines" rather than a story arc.  Season 4 is no better.

It has become insulting to its viewers, using them as a political catch-rag for the producers' mental masturbation.

The politically incontinent producers just couldn't muster the resolve to respect the integrity of BSG or to respect their viewers.

Too bad, as BSG could have had four great seaons rather than two great seasons and two mediocrities.
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

taurusowner

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2008, 06:04:41 PM »
Is the series over?  Is it safe to start watching it?  I started watching season 1 when it first was aired, missed a few episodes and lost the whole story.  I just decided I would wait til it was done and watching it from start to finish.

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2008, 06:31:32 PM »
The last ten episodes of Season 4 will resume in 2009. 
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2008, 04:25:13 AM »
Hokay, I am all caught up with BSG: finished Season 4 Episode 10.

I gotta say, ~1/4 into Season 3, the series tanked.  Hard.  I will watch the remaining 10 episodes of Season 4 for completeness' sake, just to see how they turned a silk purse into a sow's ear.

"And they have a plan," my lilly-white *expletive deleted*ss.  Season 3 was "Law & Order, Special Victims in Space" with plotlines "ripped from the headlines" rather than a story arc.  Season 4 is no better.

It has become insulting to its viewers, using them as a political catch-rag for the producers' mental masturbation.

The politically incontinent producers just couldn't muster the resolve to respect the integrity of BSG or to respect their viewers.

Too bad, as BSG could have had four great seaons rather than two great seasons and two mediocrities.

I will admit that I preferred when it focused on the bigger picture, not so much all internal squabbles, all the time.

The episode "Resurrection Ship" of the second season, with the Galactica and Pegasus circling the basestar, exchanging heavy battery fire like WWII battleships, that was a thing of absolute beauty.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2008, 05:35:03 AM »
Yup, the last couple episodes kinda pulled it from the brink.  I want to see what the last season brings.

Chris

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2008, 06:21:36 AM »
Using suicide bombers,

I really don't understand why people get hung up on the "suicide" portion.

The problem is not that they kill themselves in the process, it's that they target innocents.

And since I can't really imagine an innocent Cylon enforcer...
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2008, 07:52:12 AM »
Frankly, I found the occupation episodes to be fascinating.  After all, what is the real difference between an insurgent, a terrorist, a rebel, and a freedom fighter?  In most cases, it's the outcome of the conflict.  Some British friends half-jokingly call the American Revolution an insurgency, and to get me riled up they call the American Minute Men "terrorists."  I found that the episones blurred the lines between "good" and "bad", and made the series much more intellectually interesting than some space-based shoot-em-up, like the original.

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2008, 08:23:33 AM »
Frankly, I found the occupation episodes to be fascinating.  After all, what is the real difference between an insurgent, a terrorist, a rebel, and a freedom fighter?  In most cases, it's the outcome of the conflict.  Some British friends half-jokingly call the American Revolution an insurgency, and to get me riled up they call the American Minute Men "terrorists."  I found that the episones blurred the lines between "good" and "bad", and made the series much more intellectually interesting than some space-based shoot-em-up, like the original.
Couldn't agree more.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2008, 02:32:02 PM »
Frankly, I found the occupation episodes to be fascinating.  After all, what is the real difference between an insurgent, a terrorist, a rebel, and a freedom fighter?  In most cases, it's the outcome of the conflict.  Some British friends half-jokingly call the American Revolution an insurgency, and to get me riled up they call the American Minute Men "terrorists."  I found that the episodes blurred the lines between "good" and "bad", and made the series much more intellectually interesting than some space-based shoot-em-up, like the original.

Exactly. It really made you think. I think the series started down hill after Adm. Adama made the atmo (OMG!) jump at New Caprica.

erictank

• friends
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2008, 03:55:53 AM »
Frankly, I found the occupation episodes to be fascinating.  After all, what is the real difference between an insurgent, a terrorist, a rebel, and a freedom fighter?  In most cases, it's the outcome of the conflict.  Some British friends half-jokingly call the American Revolution an insurgency, and to get me riled up they call the American Minute Men "terrorists."  I found that the episodes blurred the lines between "good" and "bad", and made the series much more intellectually interesting than some space-based shoot-em-up, like the original.

Exactly. It really made you think. I think the series started down hill after Adm. Adama made the atmo (OMG!) jump at New Caprica.

Yeah, but that's a heckuva high point...

...in more ways than one, I guess. grin

I've missed a number of this season's episodes - I need to hit Hulu and get caught up again.  Season 3 definitely fell off some (although even so, it was better than anything else I was watching), but I'm liking S4 better so far.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2008, 04:07:10 AM »

While that was spectacular, the poor tactical decisions that resulted in the loss of the only other, and far newer capital ship immediately following (especially since it had the only automated factory to make more fighters) was a sacrifice of writing for the sake of spectacle, I feel.

ilbob

• friend
    • Bob's blog
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2008, 04:38:13 AM »
Its a hit or miss kind of thing. There or four individual shows could be lost forever and you would probably improve the quality of the series overall.

I have to agree that the occupation shows did make you think.

There is also a lot of just plain silliness put in to make PC points, but if you can just tolerate them for a few minutes, they pass pretty easily.

I am not a huge fan of the spiritual and religious aspects of the show. It could have been done better without them. I just don't buy the constant visions everyone has. More like hallucinations.

I did like the end of the last show. It was anything at all like I expected.

bob

Disclaimers: I am not a lawyer, cop, soldier, gunsmith, politician, plumber, electrician, or a professional practitioner of many of the other things I comment on in this forum.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2008, 04:40:29 AM »
I am not a huge fan of the spiritual and religious aspects of the show. It could have been done better without them. I just don't buy the constant visions everyone has. More like hallucinations.

I did, however, enjoy how they showed Kobol. They pick nice locations for planets, not the California scrub desert. Ultra-saturated green of a quiet grassy marsh with some ruins, you really could envision that people would have wanted to have their city in that location, with that spectacular view of mountains.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2008, 04:45:37 AM »
Yes. The Production crew of BSG did a good job with "Planet British Columbia", it's a lot better than "Planet California" where if the camera pans just a little too far, you'll see the Walton's cabin, a pile of sun-rotted latex which turns out to be a discarded Gorn mask, or some tents from M*A*S*H....
I promise not to duck.

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2008, 06:41:12 AM »
I did like the end of the last show. It was anything at all like I expected.

After Season 3 & the 1st 9 episodes of Season 4, it was EXACTLY what I expected.

Like I wrote, I am watching now to see just how much of a sow's ear it will become.
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2008, 03:16:44 PM »
Is it to early to post Episode 10, Season 4-themed demotivators?
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner