Author Topic: War protesters frustrated by apathy  (Read 8200 times)

MicroBalrog

• friend
Re: War protesters frustrated by apathy
« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2008, 10:43:27 PM »

I didn't say anything about the nature of the draft nor its morality, I was merely addressing the comparative utility of draftees vis-a-vis hippies.  From a military perspective in particular.

From a moral perspective, of course, hippies are more utile than draftees - they oppose wars.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2008, 06:26:54 AM »

I didn't say anything about the nature of the draft nor its morality, I was merely addressing the comparative utility of draftees vis-a-vis hippies.  From a military perspective in particular.

From a moral perspective, of course, hippies are more utile than draftees - they oppose wars.

That presupposes all wars are immoral, which is not the case.

A hippy protesting a just or necessary war would be the immoral one.

Plus, I was speaking of practical utility, not moral utility.

"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2008, 09:29:26 PM »

That presupposes all wars are immoral, which is not the case.

A hippy protesting a just or necessary war would be the immoral one.

Plus, I was speaking of practical utility, not moral utility.

Observe my hypothesis:

1. Not all wars are immoral. Some wars however are.

2. Anybody touting a war will necessarily claim his favorite war is over.

3. As such, in a healthy society, you must have people who will oppose wars, otherwise the society will just rush headlong into conflict after conflict - q.v. the last two decades of the Soviet Union, wherein that country deployed its troops in 60 [!] local conflagrations in various African and Latin American crapholes, then bankrupted itself in meaningless war in Afghanistan.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2008, 07:42:51 AM »
Besides, enforcing good personal hygiene on hippies is a good thing in and of itself. 

Cleanliness is next to  angel
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton