Author Topic: Republican convention  (Read 8746 times)

grampster

• friend
Republican convention
« on: May 07, 2008, 04:50:44 AM »
Do your think that there is any chance that during the Republican Convention the delegates would throw McCain to the curb and we'd see a grass roots surge to nominate another candidate?

(I can still dream, can't I?)
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

wmenorr67

• friend
Re: Republican convention
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2008, 04:56:21 AM »
No, but expect a lot of deals to get a "favorable" VP.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2008, 04:58:33 AM »
No.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2008, 05:21:40 AM »
Not a chance.  They'd rather go down in smoke and flames like they did with Dole.  But they're starting to understand that http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0508/10138.html

I told you people months ago this would happen.  'The Great GOP Trainwreck of 2008'.

heh.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2008, 05:48:36 AM »
Not going to happen.  The Dems are in worse shape.  Hell Clinton cannot even afford the primary without loaning herself over $6 million.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2008, 06:48:53 AM »
According to some of Ron Paul's erstwhile supporters, they're expecting his supporters to hijack the convention in the way that Lincoln's supporters hijacked the convention in 1860.

Yeah. Right.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2008, 06:56:52 AM »
Not a chance.  They'd rather go down in smoke and flames like they did with Dole.  But they're starting to understand that http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0508/10138.html

I told you people months ago this would happen.  'The Great GOP Trainwreck of 2008'.

heh.

So your a closent Obama supporter? Are you so deep in the closet that you can see Christmas Presents?

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2008, 07:24:49 AM »
So your a closent Obama supporter? Are you so deep in the closet that you can see Christmas Presents?

Whatever that means, Charby.  I support 'none of the above' and will not vote accordingly. I'm sayin' Republicans have pissed off most of their constituency, and it's likely they'll get their ass handed to them in November.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2008, 07:43:31 AM »
According to some of Ron Paul's erstwhile supporters, they're expecting his supporters to hijack the convention in the way that Lincoln's supporters hijacked the convention in 1860.

Yeah. Right.

In Wookiee costumes.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2008, 07:45:26 AM »

Yeah. Right.

In Wookiee costumes.

OK, if they did that, I'd vote for the son of a bitch!  laugh
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2008, 07:57:24 AM »
'The Great GOP Trainwreck of 2008'.
As Alan Greenspan said about how the GOP fared in the last election " . . . they DESERVED to lose . . . " for spending money like drunken sailors in a bordello after 2 years at sea.

To which I would add infusing the war in Iraq with a healthy amount of political correctness, failing to secure the border, creating the overfunded Department of Homeland Bureaucracy Security, drinking the Global Warming Kool-Aid, etc.

And too many of them STILL DON'T GET IT - behaving like Democrat Lite still isn't going to stand them in good stead this year.

They earn the nickname "The Stupid Party" every day . . .
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2008, 07:58:08 AM »
I think there's an equal chance for surprise and fireworks from both the GOP and Dem Conventions this year.......

I just wonder how many delegates abstain or change their votes at the last minute. And I wonder how McCain expects to win without the support of the majority of his base.

One thing I do count on....he won't have the class to step aside in order to keep the party together....even if it's another 40 years before the GOP holds a majority.....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

WeedWhacker

« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2008, 08:24:02 AM »

Expecting, no. Doing the only viable thing left to attempt to work within the system, yes.

In the Nevada state GOP convention, a majority of the duly-elected delegates were there in support of the principles Ron Paul has repeatedly voiced support for, and thus in support of the good doctor, himself.

The 31 nominees for the national convention were initially chosen by a three-member committee, which a supermajority of the elected delegates felt was not the proper way to go about selecting national nominees. A change to the applicable rules was proposed, discussed, and passed via vote, all in accordance with party rules.

Later, the first round of delegate elections were held: nominees in support of Paul won either six or seven out of nine spots in the first round - the second round was never held as the chairman, Bob Beers, indefinitely recessed the convention without a vote for the recess in direct violation of Robert's Rules of Order which the convention was operating under. The excuse was that the lease on the room was up - folks immediately started waving cash in the air, though it turned out that the Peppermill's management was immediately agreeable to extending the time until 8pm, no problem, no extra charge. Therefore, Bob Beers personally wasted $600 of my cash, three days of my time, and my remaining trust in the established Nevada Republican party, all because either he or the folks he is beholden to didn't like the way a vote was going. Multiply that by 1347, the number of elected delegates attending, and tell me that isn't a problem. Nice guy.

I was at the convention as an elected delegate, so I can truthfully say that the news stories given out by the NV press are very biased against Ron Paul and his supporters.

http://www.lvrj.com/news/18312799.html
http://news.rgj.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080427/NEWS/804270360
"Higher education" is often a euphemism for producers of fermented, homogenized minds.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2008, 08:41:33 AM »
You really need to read a few of the blogs that are out there, WeedWhacker.

There are more than just a few Paul supporters who fully expect this maneuver to work flawlessly and result in an ascendent Candidate Paul.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2008, 08:49:39 AM »

There are more than just a few Paul supporters who fully expect this maneuver to work flawlessly and result in an ascendent Candidate Paul.

Mike, this is a phenomenon that's common with people who work for 'dark horse' (read 'not a chance') parties and candidates.

When I volunteered for Ale-Yarok, they kept circulating rumors about 'polls done by a company in france' that said we're going to cross the electoral barrier.

There's always someone with such a rumor.

That said, had I been an American Citizen, I would have voted for RP.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2008, 08:56:02 AM »
"Mike, this is a phenomenon that's common with people who work for 'dark horse' (read 'not a chance') parties and candidates."

Gee, you don't say...

I know that.

It's called grasping at straws.

Yes, it worked once for Abe Lincoln. But the concept that it might work again is laughable for MANY reasons, most of which simply escape these people.

WeedWhacker

« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2008, 09:21:02 AM »

I do believe there to be a chance of the national GOP delegates nominating someone other than the total traitor to the Constitution that McCain is, which is why I'm continuing to go along with this process. I can only imagine that, in Nevada at least, a sizable portion of the 1347 state delegates feel the same way as I do.
"Higher education" is often a euphemism for producers of fermented, homogenized minds.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2008, 09:38:36 AM »
keyword "IMAGINE"
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2008, 12:03:03 PM »

Whatever that means, Charby.  I support 'none of the above' and will not vote accordingly. I'm sayin' Republicans have pissed off most of their constituency, and it's likely they'll get their ass handed to them in November.

I think a lot of them like the last election are going to hold their noses and vote R. I would very much like to vote none of the above but shitty Republican is far better in office than Hillary or Obama.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2008, 12:54:02 PM »

Anyone out there who DIDN'T know this would happen, a long time ago? 

Why is Paddy claiming credit for something everyone, everywhere has been saying for months? 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

WeedWhacker

« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2008, 01:56:54 PM »
keyword "IMAGINE"

Think what you like. Of the elected delegates that attempted to form a quorum to continue the convention business after Bob Beers broke the rules and made off with his ball to go home, we were only about 90 short. That is, support for Ron Paul among the duly elected delegates at the Nevada GOP state convention was running somewhere around at least 60%. I am far from being a lone, isolated individual who is alone in his hope and beliefs.

It was far, far from the McCain-fest the establishment obviously wanted.

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2008, 03:02:41 PM »
Why is Paddy claiming credit for something everyone, everywhere has been saying for months?

Of course, we grassroots peasants have known it for a long time.  The news is that's it's just trickling up to the top or however it gets there.  Now the leadership is realizing there may be several million of us formerly loyal serfs who won't be there for them this November.

Finch

• Fading Freedoms
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2008, 05:05:35 PM »

Of course, we grassroots peasants have known it for a long time.  The news is that's it's just trickling up to the top or however it gets there.  Now the leadership is realizing there may be several million of us formerly loyal serfs who won't be there for them this November.

That's a shame. You fail to realize that it is not about principles, it is about the party. You must be loyal to your party no matter how far it stays from your beliefs, or even the beliefs that this country was founded upon. The only goal it to beat the Dems, never mind that fact that McCain would be just as bad, if not worse for this country. What the party wants, the party gets.  undecided
Truth is treason in the empire of lies - Ron Paul

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2008, 06:06:12 AM »
Of course there's a chance that someone else could be nominated.

But, I'd say that the chances of Ron Paul being nominated are roughly equal to my chances of being named the first Methodist pope of the Catholic Church.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2008, 06:38:06 AM »
Pope Irwinius the First has a nice ring to it.....  angel
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.