Author Topic: Home File Server Ideas  (Read 2379 times)

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Home File Server Ideas
« on: May 07, 2008, 12:11:00 PM »
Howdy:

I just got my desktop running at the house, again, and I find it a really handy file server / online backup for the wife's & my laptops.

Thing is, it is noisy & sucks a lot of electricity, being an older Athlon XP processor with LOUD fans.

I am thinking about some other setup that would fit my requirements of:
1. Small
2. Low power consumption
3. Quiet
4. Wired or wireless operation
5. Cheap
6. Extensible storage

My only soft requirement is that I perhaps want a real machine with a real OS so that I can set it up for large downloads at night.

Without the real OS/machine requirement, some of the NAS devices look attractive.

With the real OS requirement, my idea was something like a used Mac Mini
1. Install some linux distro
2. Headless operation
3. Small
4. Quiet
5. Relatively low power
6. As external USB or Firewire HDs fill up, I add more

A PC-equivalent to the mini would be OK, too. 

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
Re: Home File Server Ideas
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2008, 12:22:53 PM »
Why put Linux  on a Mac? Just seems silly to me.  Keep OS X on there and let 'er fly.

If you stick with FireWire/IEE 1394 then you can chain the devices together.  Pretty sure OS X will let you make a RAID out of them all too.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2008, 12:48:13 PM »
I've got one of the little Western Digital NAS-in-a-box dealies.

Bogie hateses it... It generally picks the time I need it to go on some sort of strange "drop off the net for a little while" cycle.

Blog under construction

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2008, 12:50:27 PM »
The reasons I would toss OSX:

1. I likely would not get a valid license just buying the Mini.  Just how would one go about getting software & OS updates on a 4YO Mini with no OS license or perhaps a license originally registered to someone else?  With a linux distro, I am assured of updates and current kernels.

2. I would require serious adult-level remote access capabilities.  ssh -X allows secure remote logons as well as X forwarding.

3. I have no desire to learn yet another OS.  One that I use nowhere else and is otherwise useless to me.

4. Linux is a general-purpose tool.  There are 101 things I could do with it, especially server-type functions.  OSX has been neutered and requires the server version for what is available outta the box on linux.

So, no OSX for me, thank you.
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2008, 03:01:58 PM »
Use a Linux NSLU2 network storage device.  They are cheap ($50 second hand, $100 new), use low power (10 Watts + hard disks), external disks, and they are quite easy to get into.  They run a version of linux, which you can get a c complier for on the net for free.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2008, 03:30:39 PM »
SnapServer 1000 or 1100.

(I've been running 3 of 'em, and one's even playing Webserver...)  Wink
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2008, 04:57:26 PM »
Just how would one go about getting software & OS updates on a 4YO Mini with no OS license or perhaps a license originally registered to someone else?

That at least is not a problem.  Apple doesn't play the license activation games that M$ does.

That said, Debian installs on Macs just fine.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2008, 05:07:07 PM »
Use a Linux NSLU2 network storage device.  They are cheap ($50 second hand, $100 new), use low power (10 Watts + hard disks), external disks, and they are quite easy to get into.  They run a version of linux, which you can get a c complier for on the net for free.

Nick1911, you are a bad, bad man.

Like I need another Linksys device running bootleg linux firmware, when the one I have (WRT54G & ddwrt) runs just fine with no problems for months at a time*, rock-solid...

OK, I'm not sure where I was going with that, but the NSLU2 looks like an option.  Only problem is it is limited to two external USB hard drives.

Hmm, it is intriguing...such a low cost to get into...10W + USB HDD...

That is definitely an option.

* Only 14 days, 22hrs, and 48min so far, since the last power outage (Spring in N Texas).  I really ought to get a UPS for it.  My record is ~6months.
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2008, 05:13:59 PM »
Built a Windows Home Server awhile back.  I just set it up and walked away.
Auto-backups, public storage for the network, back-end, not on the edge of the network.  File redundancy, too.
Microsoft finally got one right.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2008, 06:19:02 PM »

Nick1911, you are a bad, bad man.

grin Figured you'd like that!

Only problem is it is limited to two external USB hard drives.

That's true, but these days that's 1TB easily.

* Only 14 days, 22hrs, and 48min so far, since the last power outage (Spring in N Texas).  I really ought to get a UPS for it.  My record is ~6months.

Just think set it up with a lead-acid automotive battery as a source.  Then you could go about a week off the grid! Smiley

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2008, 06:53:19 PM »
The easy to use LinkStation Live" Multimedia Storage Server is perfect whenever you need dependable network data storage. All computers on your network can share files on this versatile, flexible, and simple NAS. With built-in Web Access feature, you can access your files anytime via web browser from anywhere! In addition to its storage capabilities, it can stream multimedia to a PC, a Mac, a Buffalo LinkTheater", and other DLNA CERTIFIED" media players. The LinkStation Live seamlessly integrates with iTunes® 7 and allows you to access your music files on the LinkStation from your iTunes software. Best suited for homes or small businesses who need a central location for files that all devices on the network can share.

http://www.buffalotech.com/products/network-storage/linkstation/linkstation-live/
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2008, 08:19:33 PM »
Hmmm...

Stupid question...

Could I get an older box - like an office refurb from Tiger Direct, and run Unix or something on it, and use that to control a disk farm that my XP boxes (have to use XP due to software issues - they don't make a whole lot of Unix raster image processing software...)?

Blog under construction

Rocketman56

« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2008, 08:49:50 PM »
Bogie:

Yes, you can.. Windows XP will mount via the Samba daemon just fine..   Last time
I used the user setup for Windows users was slightly arcane, but I understand that's
been updated significantly...  I'm looking at doing something similar..  (Yes,
unfortunately some of the other computer's in the house have to run some
flavor of M$ software.. MINE, however, does not.. Nor will it ever again..
The company shipped it to me and I put in a new hard drive before I even powered it on..)

Unix user since 1974, Linux since 1998......  I may be "slightly" set in my ways.. grin

Steve
An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.
Robert A. Heinlein

Ad astra per aspera
"through the thorns to the stars"

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2008, 07:22:41 AM »
Mac Mini:
People who are selling used/refurbished Mac Minis are bat$#!+ insane.

$300 for a 4YO G4 seems the going rate.  More for newer Minis.  Up to $1K for a new Mini with an Intel processor.

Are these things made outta gold, or something?

Thing is, Minis are essentially laptop hardware without the battery, monitor, and keyboard.  Their only saving grace is that they run on 85W external power supplies, keeping power consumption down.

Mini/Micro PC
I looked up some itty bitty PCs and found the two promising prospects at:
http://www.cappuccinopc.com/

They seem more suited to my purposes than the Mac Mini. 

Cappuccino GX1
Full-up PC with HD (disk or solid state)
Configured the way I would like it, it would run ~$360
My options would be stock but with a 256MB SSHD, no optical drives
Max power consumption of 64W, likely less with SSHD & no optical drive.

I would run damnsmalllinux on it.

Star-466a Thin Client Solutions
This is also interesting.  Thin client but with the option of SSHD.
Configured to my prefs, ~$264
My option would be a 256MB SSHD.
Max power consumption 5W

Again, I would run damnsmalllinux on it.

===============

I think I am inclined to start with the Linux NSLU2, considering that spanking new ones can be had off ebay for $63 (price + shipping).

HD Power Consumption (CAUTION: Serious geekiness ahead)
Getting this data from manufacturers is difficult.

Luckily, three years ago, these folks:
http://www.digit-life.com/articles2/storage/hddpower.html
did a comparison on then-current HD power consumption / heat dissipation.

It was quite enlightening.
max spinup = 16-30W
idle = 4.5-13W
intensive constant load = 7-15W
typical usage = 4.7-13.3W

This does not take into account the overhead paid for external HD electronics (control board & enclosure)

This site gives various % power consumption for various modes that includes the board & enclosure:
http://www.xpcgear.com/me740ps.html

Active Mode (100% Power Consumption)
The HDD is at "Read / Write" mode, and it is under full speed operation.
The hard disk consumes most power at this condition

Idle Mode (80% Power Consumption)
The HDD is under "Waiting" mode (waiting for read / write commands from system), and the HDD is still working. At this condition, the power Consumption is a little less than Active Mode

Suspend Mode (20% Power Consumption)
The HDD is into "Suspend" mode, it is completely shut down, but still with alive power. The power consumption is much less than Active / Idle modes.

Power Down Mode (under 7% power cosumption)
The HDD is under "No Power" status. Not only the HDD is completely shut down, but also there is no power to the HDD. Only the control board of the enclosure will consume power

Hmm, this looks like a spreadsheet analysis problem to determine what I can expect, power consumption-wise.

Code:
int_hd_mode         int_hd_low_W         int_hd_high_W        ext_hd_mode         ext_hd_ratio_max_usage         less_idle       ext_hd_low_W         ext_hd_high_W         ext_hd_elect_est_low_W         ext_hd_elect_est_high_W
 max_spinup              16                   30                   -                         -                   #VALUE!            #VALUE!              #VALUE!                    #VALUE!                        #VALUE!
int_const_load            7                   15                 active                    1.00                    0.93              7.53                 16.13                      0.53                           1.13
  typical                4.7                 13.3                  -                         -                   #VALUE!            #VALUE!              #VALUE!                    #VALUE!                        #VALUE!
    idle                 4.5                  13                  idle                     0.80                    0.73              6.16                 17.81                      0.43                           1.25
     -                    -                    -                suspend                    0.20                    0.13             #VALUE!              #VALUE!                    #VALUE!                        #VALUE!
    off                   0                    0               power_down                  0.07                    0.00             #DIV/0!              #DIV/0!                    #DIV/0!                        #DIV/0!

Averaging between int_cont_load &  idle, the overhead power consumption for the external HD board & enclosure:

avg_ext_hd_elect_low_W            0.48
avg_ext_hd_elect_high_W             1.19

Interpolating / extrapolating from data above:

int_hd_mode          ext_hd_mode         ext_hd_low_W         ext_hd_high_W
 max_spinup               -                  16.48               31.19
int_const_load         active                7.53                16.13
  typical                 -                  5.18                14.49
    idle                idle                 6.16                17.81
     -                 suspend               1.51                 3.23
    off              power_down              0.48                 1.19

Assume 90% of time the HD will be spun down (suspend) and 10% of time in use (int_const_load/active):

ext_hd_low_W         ext_hd_high_W
                                             2.11                 4.52

So, power consumption will be approximately 2 to 4.5W

So, approx 2-4.5 W power consumption.

Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton