Author Topic: Possible VP Candidates?  (Read 9217 times)

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
Possible VP Candidates?
« on: May 07, 2008, 08:43:43 PM »
Ain't life fun...

And McCain is also likely to have to choose someone more conservative than he is, more or less to just appease folks... Huck? Mitt? Fred? Or a woman or minority? I think that Condi Rice could make things interesting, but that'd leave things open for the "it's just another Bush" crowd, and since we've had seven years of "Bush is Bad" force fed to us by the media, a LOT of people now believe that to be the case, regardless of any evidence presented to the contrary. They don't know WHY he's bad - they just know that he is, and you can't persuade them otherwise... The Republicans are gonna need a clean break.

So, any non-male, non-caucasian Republicans out there? Who are dumb enough or power hungry enough for the job?

Not Paul - not that he or his positions are bad, but too many of his supporters are just too weird, and it could turn off a lot of fence-sitters...

Hillary's media strategy has backfired on her in a big way... I'm guessing that some of her "consulting companies" were the folks who have been crafting the media/internet campaign for the past seven years about how people should vote for anyone but a Republican - vote for CHANGE! - Oops...

If Obama gets the nod, and Hillary doesn't have him whacked before the nomination, I think he's going to have to find himself a conservative democrat to even have a chance. Too many of Hillary's supporters will go McCain rather than Obama.

Blog under construction

wmenorr67

• friend
Re: Possible VP Candidates?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2008, 08:46:24 PM »
I think McCain could do ok with Lieberman.

True Republicans out there would have to lean towards Huckabee.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2008, 09:43:49 PM »

Huh.  Lieberman would lead to so many conservatives sitting out the election that the Donks would win for sure.  Huck would be better than Lieberman only by a matter of degree.

A couple people I've heard mentioned are Steele and Palin.  Black and female respectivly, neither beholden or otherwise overly tied to W, reasonable conservative cred., and a lot younger than McCain.  Not sure what I think of Palin, but the time or two I've seen Steele on Fox I liked what I heard.  Still need a lot more info before passing judgement on either of them though.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2008, 01:31:01 AM »
Either Palin or Kay Bailey Hutchison of Texas.......anyone else is a zero gain or a liability to McCain at this point....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2008, 04:06:36 AM »

Oh, god, no. Grown men do not WHINE like Lieberman does. I can't stand hearing him talk.

Huck is okay. Huck supports 2A, too, and that's very important.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2008, 09:18:56 AM »
McCain could do worse than Kay Baily Hutchison. (And probably will.)

The guy I'd really like to see is Dr. Walter Williams . . . but there isn't a snowball's chance in hell of a conservative academic like him getting the VP slot.

A name that's surfaced a few times is Bobby Jindal, though his age  - about 36? - and relative lack of experience count heavily against him. Maybe in another 4 - 8 years.

Any conservative governors out there somewhere who'd be willing to play second fiddle?

Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2008, 09:37:40 AM »
McCain could also do a lot better than KBH.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

taurusowner

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2008, 11:11:51 AM »
Michale Steele would be an outstanding choice.  Though for me the best bet would be Fred Thompson.  He's the only one out of every candidate for any party that gave real concise answers for questions.  Every single other candidate both (R) and (D) talked around every question asked of them.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2008, 11:31:45 AM »
I've heard that McCain bought the Florida primary (and thus won the nomination) by promising Charlie Crist the veep job.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2008, 12:44:20 PM »
Palin?  I had to google the name.  Isn't that a bad thing?   undecided
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Marvin Dao

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2008, 01:13:25 PM »
Palin?  I had to google the name.  Isn't that a bad thing?   undecided

Yep.

Palin and Jindal have the same problem. Too young for the slot and not enough seasoning time in a high government slot. Both may make for good presidential candidates in 8-20 years so I don't see them stepping out of their governorships and playing veep for McCain.

I'd like to see Condi as veep, but she'd definitely hurt the Republican ticket due to the Bush association even if she does count as a double minority. Because of that, I don't see McCain picking her. Steele's a decent conservative pick, but I don't think there will be any political gain from his race. No way he'd be able to outdraw Obama when it comes to that sort of thing.

I'd bet that we'll see Mitt as veep though. He moves the ticket marginally closer to the center where they'd be better able to catch renegade Hillary supporters and shores up McCain's major weak points. (Age, weak economic policy, etc.) He's definitely ambitious enough to put up with a veep slot for McCain for 4-8 years while biding his time.

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2008, 05:09:57 PM »
It will be Romney.  You heard it here first.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2008, 06:51:58 PM »
OK, Paddy, are you really Michael Savage?  Always claiming you were the first one to say something? 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

seeker_two

• friend
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2008, 01:33:05 AM »
McCain could also do a lot better than KBH.

True...from a conservative, trustworthiness viewpoint, that is.....but she may draw in enough of the disgruntled Hillary voters to "help" McCain's chances.....

....but then again, he may go for a Christy Todd-Whitman-type for just that reason....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2008, 02:03:30 AM »
Hell, I will volunteer my services.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Dannyboy

• friend
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2008, 03:50:22 AM »
I don't think Jindal's being inexperienced should have too much effect.  The presumptive Democratic nominee has a whopping 2 years in the US Senate.  Inexperience certainly hasn't caused him too many problems.  Besides, Jindal actually has a record of accomplishing things, unlike that other guy.

I'd like to see Thompson but he already said that he will not run as VP.
Oh, Lord, please let me be as sanctimonious and self-righteous as those around me, so that I may fit in.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2008, 04:05:41 AM »
And to be VP what experience do you really need?  Your only true job is to be President of the Senate and be available to break ties.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2008, 06:02:50 AM »
ME,

I'd love the VP slot, the ultimate do-nothing job. (Even better then being a kept man, JJ   grin....) 

Tell me what to say and when to say it.   Free room and board, limos and a jet to haul my worthless butt around in and nice house.  Nice perks for life after you quit/get fired.

Sign me up.    rolleyes
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2008, 06:07:36 AM »
You have to appear in the Senate sometimes, and not fall asleep or be caught picking your nose when the cameras are on you.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2008, 06:13:44 AM »
You have to appear in the Senate sometimes, and not fall asleep or be caught picking your nose when the cameras are on you.

I could never be a VP. I get irritated or fall asleep when meetings go slow or a lot of BS bickering. Sometimes I wield the knowledge of Robert Rules other times I doodle. I hate bickering that isn't germane to what is being debated.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2008, 06:47:26 AM »
McCain convinced himself he can win without the help of "conservatives".  We'll see if he really believes it.  In any case McCain has a real problem with the "conservative" base.  His multi-decade schtik of playing the maverick may well bite him.  He's been something less than loyal to his party and now he's in a position of asking the party to be loyal to him.  I can't wait to see how he gets out of this one.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2008, 06:53:11 AM »
McCain convinced himself he can win without the help of "conservatives".  We'll see if he really believes it.  In any case McCain has a real problem with the "conservative" base.  His multi-decade schtik of playing the maverick may well bite him.  He's been something less than loyal to his party and now he's in a position of asking the party to be loyal to him.  I can't wait to see how he gets out of this one.

MCCain is no less nor more "conservative" than Bush.  All he needs to shore up the "Conservative" base is an anti abotion, anti gay christian "conservative".  Yea, I can't wait.  We get to choose between a product of the daley Shitcago machine, or 4 more years of Bush-like conservatisim.  Hip, Hip, Hooray!
(PS, I'm voting 3rd party :neener:)
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

seeker_two

• friend
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2008, 07:40:07 AM »
I just thought of another good candidate.....conservative, well-known, and even more dynamic and in touch with the youth than McCain.....

]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ben_Stein

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2008, 07:42:17 AM »
Paddy for Veep.  With his plan to literally do nothing on election day, he's perfect!
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

HankB

• friend
« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2008, 09:26:50 AM »
Paddy for Veep.  With his plan to literally do nothing on election day, he's perfect!
If doing nothing is your plan . . . how do you know when you're through?
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain