Author Topic: What's going on in the UK now? Girl gangs? Bombs?  (Read 2481 times)

Manedwolf

• friend
What's going on in the UK now? Girl gangs? Bombs?
« on: May 12, 2008, 05:18:34 AM »
Quite an improvised explosive, there.

Report: Girls Gang Blows Up Houses With Homemade Bomb Over Boy

Sunday , May 11, 2008

A gang of London teenage girls is suspected of destroying three houses and killing a man with a homemade liquid bomb during an argument over a boy.

According to the U.K.'s Daily Mail, witnesses say a purple, smelly liquid was poured into a mailbox of one of the homes, which set off a massive explosion.

The intended target of the attack, Charlotte Anderson, was injured in the blast and rushed to the hospital with severe burns. Her next-door neighbor, Emad Qureshi, 26, who was at home with his parents, was killed when he was crushed by falling debris, it was reported.

Earlier, Anderson had phoned the police with a complaint that a gang of girls was harassing her over a boy outside her home.

Investigators inititally thought the explosion was caused by a gas leak, but now suspect the purple liquid  believed to have been made from a recipe found on the Internet  could have vaporized and caused the explosion, it was reported.

British police have launched a murder investigation and is searching for the girl gang, according to the Mail.

[edited to change subject line for our wider audience]

wmenorr67

• friend
Re: The hell is going on in the UK now? Girl gangs? Bombs?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2008, 05:20:53 AM »
Oh wonderful.  Now we need to be on the look out for anyone that has Grape Kool-Aid.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

zahc

• friend
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2008, 05:37:48 AM »
Wow, that's some pretty strong purple liquid. Any hunches as to what it might have been?
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2008, 05:43:42 AM »
Wow, that's some pretty strong purple liquid. Any hunches as to what it might have been?

No idea, but it sounds like it wasn't just the liquid, it's the fact that it vaporized in a confined space, and then was sparked by something like a stove pilot, or perhaps a second, time-delayed reaction (think a cigarette in a matchbook) ignited it. That's a FAE, which has tremendous power. Any flammable distillate can have that effect if conditions are right. This is from Fox, which said "mailbox", BBC said "mail slot", which is probably correct and means it was inside the home to become a rarified air-mixed vapor. Kaboom.

It's why gasoline vapor in a mostly-empty tank is so much more dangerous (it will explode violently) than a full tank, which will just burn.

I've seen firsthand what happened to a muffler shop where a propane tank had been leaking overnight, filling the shop with a propane-air mixture. Poor guy came there in the morning, turned on the lights, and the store, well...after a massive groundshaking blast and a mushroom cloud that went several hundred feet up, all that was left was a few standing i-beams, the rest was scattered over a mile.

What's thrown me is the "girl gangs" thing. I had no idea London had female Clockwork Orange sorts who blow up houses!

Iain

• friend
Re: What's going on in the UK now? Girl gangs? Bombs?
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2008, 08:17:47 AM »
Just a guess...

Doubt blowing it up was intentional. She was probably a mere arsonist.
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2008, 08:24:36 AM »
Well, I think blowing up two and almost three rowhouses completely, killing people and raining debris all over several streets, (they said about 60 houses were "affected") puts one firmly into the "terrorist" category.

I hope she likes small spaces.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2008, 08:31:57 AM »
believed to have been made from a recipe found on the Internet

Oh noes, protect us from the internet.  rolleyes
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

MrRezister

• I resist. It's what I do.
  • friend
  • Shank, shank, shank mommy's ankles!
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2008, 08:47:47 AM »
If she was so mad and crazy and stupid, why didn't she just shoot her victi.... oh, right.  Guns are illegal, aren't they? 

Nevermind.

Time to ban purple liquids.
He never brought you an unbalanced budget, which is a perennial joke. He never voted himself a wage increase and, to this day, gives back part of his salary every year. He has always voted to preserve the Constitution, cut government spending, lower healthcare costs, end the war on drugs, secure our borders with immigration reform and protect our civil liberties.

Werewolf

• friend
  • Lead, Follow or Get the HELL out of the WAY!
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2008, 10:39:20 AM »
believed to have been made from a recipe found on the Internet

Oh noes, protect us from the internet.  rolleyes

That's undoubtedly on the list over there.
Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love
truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.

Fight Me Online

LAK

• friend
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2008, 12:10:00 AM »
This is from Fox, which said "mailbox", BBC said "mail slot", which is probably correct and means it was inside the home to become a rarified air-mixed vapor. Kaboom.
Most of those old row or terraced houses in the U.K. have slot mail openings in the front door; just a lift up flap with no box inside - the mail just drops onto the hallway floor.

If there is no carpet on the floor inside the fuel would evaporate quite quickly. Once the fuel air mixture reaches the right proportion something like a stove pilot - or even turning on an electric switch - will ignite it.

Methylated spirits is a likely fuel, very commonly used hardware store item in the U.K.

------------------------------------
http://searchronpaul.com
http://ussliberty.org/oldindex.html
http://www.gtr5.com
http://ssunitedstates.org

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2008, 12:27:54 AM »
That would take a large amount in a large area.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2008, 12:33:08 AM »

I've seen firsthand what happened to a muffler shop where a propane tank had been leaking overnight, filling the shop with a propane-air mixture. Poor guy came there in the morning, turned on the lights, and the store, well...after a massive groundshaking blast and a mushroom cloud that went several hundred feet up, all that was left was a few standing i-beams, the rest was scattered over a mile.

My mother was injured in an explosion similar to that.  The office she worked up used natural gas for something-or-another.  The gas line started leaking overnight.  My mother came in the next day to open the office, flicked on the light switch, and *BOOM*.

Luckily she only received some burns.  I don't know how bad they were, as I don't believe I was alive at the time, but I don't think they were extensive because she doesn't really have any bad scarring from it.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

LAK

• friend
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2008, 01:01:09 AM »
Many a trailer (caravan) or mobile home using propane has gone up this way too.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2008, 02:24:26 AM »
Well, I think blowing up two and almost three rowhouses completely, killing people and raining debris all over several streets, (they said about 60 houses were "affected") puts one firmly into the "terrorist" category.

Huh?  Huh?  Blowing stuff up and killing folk does not terrorism make. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife