Author Topic: N.Y. Senator Pushes For Cameras On Cop Handguns  (Read 3423 times)

wmenorr67

• friend
N.Y. Senator Pushes For Cameras On Cop Handguns
« on: May 12, 2008, 09:53:01 PM »
ALBANY, N.Y. (AP) ― In a flash, a police officer draws a handgun from its holster. Less than two seconds later, a red laser and bright light shine at whatever is in the gun barrel's path while a mini-camera records it all.

That's how mini-cams on police handguns would work under a proposal gaining support in New York, which would be the first state in the nation to require the technology. State police were briefed on the technology and are reviewing it for a possible pilot program, said Michael Balboni, the state's deputy secretary for public safety.

The device could create a critical visual and audio record of police shootings for use in court, said state Sen. Eric Adams, a Brooklyn Democrat and former police officer. He is drumming up support for testing the cameras with the state police SWAT squad.

Adams said recordings from the $695 cameras couldn't be altered by a police officer and would quell many questions after controversial police shootings, like the deaths in New York City of Amadou Diallo in 1999 and Sean Bell in 2006.

"That's definitely a new thing," said Meredith Mays of the International Association of Chiefs of Police based in Virginia. She said police have known the technology existed, but no state has required it.

Some police departments have put cameras on Tasers in the last couple years, but there is no major national effort by police to seek or block gun cameras at the federal level, according to the National Association of Police Organizations, a major lobbyist.

"We believe the state of New York can lead the country," said Adams, who retired after 21 years as a New York police officer. "There no longer can be a question mark that lingers after shootings."

Adams, who was never involved in a shooting, said the lights on the 5-ounce camera could be turned off if they would expose the officer to danger in a dark area. But the camera and optional audio recorder would remain operating for up to 60 minutes.

He said the images would also help identify suspects who get away. He wants a pilot program that would allow testing by police at shooting ranges. That could lead to a law mandating the gun cameras, he said.

Adams knows many police won't embrace the idea at first.
There was no immediate comment from the police department and police officers union in New York City. Mayor Michael Bloomberg's office said it will review any legislation that comes from Adams' effort.

But in Albany, there is growing support.

Republican Sen. Dale Volker of Erie County, a former police officer who would be critical to passing the Democrat-backed bill, already sought funding for a pilot program. But that $300,000 request to test the technology in state police SWAT squads was cut in the budget this spring as part of efforts to close a deficit of about $5 billion.

"You have to understand, particularly in urban areas today, it is not like the old days when if someone was shot you went before a grand jury," said Volker. Today, he said, an officer would also face intense media and community attention.

"It's a different world," he said. "It's not even a matter of right and wrong a lot of times. It's that people decide very often whatever you did was probably wrong."

In the Democrat-led Assembly, Adams and his colleagues in the influential black, Hispanic and Asian caucus like the idea.
The gun camera is made by Legend Technologies, based in the Adirondack mountains town of Keesville, N.Y.

http://wcbstv.com/local/police.handgun.cameras.2.722036.html

If they do it for the police just think how soon it would take to make it mandatory on the general public.

Don't see it working to well though.  Imagine the muzzle flash would effect the camera to some extent.

Plus think of the new holsters that will have to be made and bought to hold the pistol. angry
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Regolith

• friend
Re: N.Y. Senator Pushes For Cameras On Cop Handguns
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2008, 12:35:02 AM »
Not to mention the fact that the recoil would beat the cameras to death rather quickly.  Either replacing the cameras or getting cameras that can withstand the beating would be fairly expensive.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2008, 12:53:16 AM »
I remember reading a gun rag back in '89 or so that had a sarcastic article on a police pistol of the future.  A camera was on the futuristic weapon. grin

If cameras were put on guns, the video would go "missing" all the time.

I'm currently fighting West Lafayette police on this.  They put video in their cars, but fail to disclose that in the police reports and the prosecution has sent me e-mails denying the existence of video.  Caught their cops stepping on their you-know-whats in a May 2nd deposition.  We'll see what happens.

Video Police=> police
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2008, 03:50:25 AM »
Yeah, that'd be a really useful recording. A couple of seconds of blurry motion of a suspect moving, a whiteout and a glimpse of at least 45 degrees up angle, then another blur, another whiteout...

You can really tell who knows nothing about guns.

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2008, 04:11:46 AM »
Why don't we put cameras on politicians?
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2008, 04:22:47 AM »
once upon a time a company game out with a gizmo that would track  a patrol cars movements ith great accuracy and keep dispatch informed. it was opposed by the police union. the idea of cops getting caught cooping was a greater concern than the safety improvemeny
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

John G

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2008, 06:26:34 AM »
Unless there's a second camera oriented toward the shooter, how would one know who actually fired the shots? 
I like spiedies and old guns

ilbob

• friend
    • Bob's blog
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2008, 08:52:28 AM »
if you can put a camera on a gun you can put it on the cop. i say, put it on the cop and leave it on when they are on duty except when they have the dispatcher turn it off for potty breaks.
bob

Disclaimers: I am not a lawyer, cop, soldier, gunsmith, politician, plumber, electrician, or a professional practitioner of many of the other things I comment on in this forum.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2008, 08:56:50 AM »
if you can put a camera on a gun you can put it on the cop. i say, put it on the cop and leave it on when they are on duty except when they have the dispatcher turn it off for potty breaks.

UK police already have cameras on their hats.

xavier fremboe

• friends
  • All-American Meanie
    • The Shop
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2008, 12:01:46 PM »
ALBANY, N.Y. (AP) ― In a flash, a police officer draws a handgun from its holster. Less than two seconds later, a red laser and bright light shine at whatever is in the gun barrel's path while a mini-camera records it all.

Two seconds is an eternity.  If that's correct, they are going to end up with video that begins with the officer walking up to a dead guy. 
If the bandersnatch seems even mildly frumious, best to shun it.  Really. http://www.cctplastics.com

SomeKid

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2008, 03:24:30 PM »
Bad idea, for a host of reasons. Just to name one, what if they leave the guns holstered, and simply beat the guy?

Better idea: On their shoulder epulets I see a lot of local cops put their microphone for the radio. On the opposite side, should be an audio and video recording one. I would advise mounting it in such a way that it records multiple angles, as well as audio. Have it always on, and always transmitting to be recorded. No off switch, except shift sign off. If a LEO is ever found to have tampered with it to cause it not to be on during his shift, it is assumed the cop is lying and is trying to cover for himself, and is fired as well.

Because they are to go on the shoulder, and not the end of a gun, they probably won't be nearly as expensive, or easy to break. Granted, the added tech I would add will still keep the price high, for a one time cost that will work for years, I think it would be a good buy.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2008, 04:16:00 PM »
"Why don't we put cameras on politicians?"

And tamper proof recording devices.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw