Author Topic: Hugo Chavez Nationalizes Yet Another Industry  (Read 3580 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Hugo Chavez Nationalizes Yet Another Industry
« on: May 13, 2008, 04:51:56 AM »
When are these business / plant owners gonna start sabotaging or simply blowing up their facilities before they get booted out? On the other hand, as I've mentioned before, he's booting out the foreign expertise as well, so eventually stuff is gonna break down unless China or somebody bails him out in exchange for his oil (which is crappy and involves high tech for extraction).

Chavez is the closest real life example of an "Atlas Shrugged" scenario that I've ever seen. Who knew Ayn Rand was writing a non-fiction text?

-----------------------
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/7397326.stm

Venezuela takes over steel firm

President Hugo Chavez has signed a decree to nationalise Venezuela's biggest steelmaker, Ternium-Sidor.

Argentina's Techint, which owns 60% of it, has been given until the end of June to hand it over.

In the past two years the Venezuelan state has taken over foreign-controlled companies including cement, telecoms, oil, gas and electricity firms.

President Chavez threatened to nationalise the steelmaker after trade union talks broke down last month.

The workers wanted better pay and benefits.

Talks between the government and Techint broke down earlier this month when a price for the controlling stake could not be agreed.

Rodolfo Sanz, minister of basic industries and mining, has been appointed as the new president of Ternium-Sidor.

The government already owned 20% of the shares and had first threatened to take control of the company last year unless its owners agreed to sell more of its steel in Venezuela.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Sergeant Bob

• friend
Re: Hugo Chavez Nationalizes Yet Another Industry
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2008, 05:26:26 AM »
Ah yes, another worker's paradise. undecided
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2008, 05:28:34 AM »
Let's not give President Obama any ideas. grin

I have seen calls to take the airline industry, oil industry and others "off the market".  No question Obama will make a grab for everything he can.
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2008, 07:19:22 AM »
Good luck running an arc furnace without skilled employees and technicians from the parent company to keep it going.

Maybe they could get Chavez to personally inspect it while they push buttons.

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2008, 07:52:19 AM »
Argentina's Techint, which owns 60% of it, has been given until the end of June to hand it over plant explosives in vital places on every plant.
There. Corrected it. If they have the balls to do it that is...

wideym

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2008, 06:57:08 PM »
Chavez won't have to worry about the US trying to assasinate him if he keeps this up, a few pissed off mulitnational corporations who lost or are about to lose hundreds of millions of dollars when he nationalizes their factorys will do it for us.

SomeKid

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2008, 08:59:05 PM »
Chavez won't have to worry about the US trying to assasinate him if he keeps this up, a few pissed off mulitnational corporations who lost or are about to lose hundreds of millions of dollars when he nationalizes their factorys will do it for us.

Frankly, I am surprised it hasn't happened already. Or at the very least, destruction of the facility to screw Hugo. The utter cowardice and willingness to cut and run astounds me.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2008, 09:01:41 PM »
Wow I acutually agree with SomeKid on something.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2008, 09:03:20 PM »
They better start stocking up on '57 Buick parts.......
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

• friend
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2008, 09:09:57 PM »
I think BenW called it.  The Chinese will gladly step up and help him out.  Maybe in a few more years, they'll be running the country.

SomeKid

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2008, 09:32:53 AM »

How does it feel to actually be correct?  grin laugh

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2008, 11:07:45 AM »
Neither communism nor dictators are new to South America.  I'm surprised anybody is surprised about this.  At least Reagan had the balls to confront it.  Unlike some Presidents.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2008, 02:28:37 PM »
Neither communism nor dictators are new to South America.  I'm surprised anybody is surprised about this.  At least Reagan had the balls to confront it.  Unlike some Presidents.

Well, we're surprised that you're surprised that we're surprised because, we're not really surprised at all.
Surprised? grin
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2008, 07:55:51 PM »

Actually wondering that about you.  I am correct quite a bit of the time.  This just happens to be the first time you were correct first.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

SomeKid

« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2008, 07:58:02 PM »

Actually wondering that about you.  I am correct quite a bit of the time.  This just happens to be the first time you were correct first.

I see I still have much work to do, correcting all your incorrectness. Oh well.  cheesy