Author Topic: Ventura and former campaign manager hint at Senate race  (Read 1674 times)

wmenorr67

• friend
Ventura and former campaign manager hint at Senate race
« on: May 16, 2008, 05:59:31 AM »
Former Gov. Jesse Ventura said he "may" file the necessary papers to run for the U.S. Senate in the November election.

If he doesn't, his former campaign manager will.

Both are hinting at a run against Republican incumbent Norm Coleman and likely Democratic candidate Al Franken this fall. The only question seems to be: Will it be Ventura, or the man who helped him become governor?

Ventura's former campaign manager, Dean Barkley, now works as a bus driver and gardens as a hobby.

"Ear to the dirt, listening to the pulse of the people," he joked Thursday.

But Barkley, who was appointed to the Senate for 62 days after Paul Wellstone died in 2002, said he is serious about going to Washignton again.

"I don't like either of the candidates out there," he said. "And if no one else will do it, I will."

As for Ventura, he refused to answer questions Thursday from reporters who showed up for his public book signing at Mall of America.

"Are you running for Senate?" a reporter asked.

"You're the media," Ventura mouthed before taking a question from someone else.

He eventually talked about his plans anyway.

"Now you're asking me to stop my latest quest, which is surfing," he said when asked about running for office again.

Ventura told the crowd that "none of the above" would be a better choice than Norm Coleman or Al Franken.

"I may go down and file," he added. "I will be "none of the above, and if I win, I'll go to Washington.

The Humprhey Institute's Larry Jacobs said the timing just might be right ... again.

"If it's Ventura, all bets are off," he said. "Voters are angry. And they're not very happy with the parties and the candidates in front of them."

He noted Ventura beat Coleman once before: Coleman was Ventura's Republican opponent when Ventura was elected governor, as an independent, in 1998.

Barkley said he and Ventura will talk to each other and then decide which one of them will run. He said they'll make the decision sometime before the filing deadline of July 15.

"Jesse's got first dibs," Barkley said.

As for Ventura's refusal to talk to the local media, he explained he felt he was treated unfairly when he was governor, and by not commenting now, "then it doesn't make you money."

He added: "And by stopping you from making money, that makes my heart feel good."

http://www.kare11.com/news/news_article.aspx?storyid=510978

Anyone from Minnesota want to chime in?
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Sergeant Bob

• friend
Re: Ventura and former campaign manager hint at Senate race
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2008, 08:12:51 AM »
If I were from Minnesooota, I'd have to vote for Ventura over Al Franken, or the guy who replaced Paul Wellstone.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2008, 11:53:18 AM »

Apparently Ventura has joined the 9/11 conspiracy cult:

"Former Governor Jesse Ventura: WTC Collapse A Controlled Demolition"

http://www.send2press.com/newswire/2008-04-0403-004.shtml

"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2008, 03:25:37 PM »
That tears it, Minnesooota is doomed! undecided
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G