Author Topic: Favorite steak cut?  (Read 15340 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Favorite steak cut?
« on: May 17, 2008, 10:07:29 AM »
The Safeway near my house had a sale on Angus beef ribeye steaks this week, so I picked up a three pack for $4.99 a pound.

I don't eat a lot of red meat in general, but when I do I want it to be something that I'm REALLY going to enjoy, and I really enjoy ribeyes.

These were incredible, very possibly among the best ribeyes I've ever had. Very pleasantly surprising for meat coming out of a grocery store.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re: Favorite steak cut?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2008, 10:26:50 AM »
was it bloom? i've got some ribeyes for tomorrow
i like ribeyes  same cut as prime rib  i like new york strips but you gotta watch for the ones near the end of the cut where the nerve moves down and bigger
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2008, 10:44:35 AM »
1. ribeye
2. t-bone/porterhouse
3. N.Y. strip
4. all other cuts

Steak house down the road serves a dish called "The Cowboy Ribeye". Black on the outside, pink on the inside, with a big helping of chipotle/garlic mashed potatoes and onion rings. Well worth it, every now and then.

A well prepared ribyeye, like the above, is something I don't think I will ever master.

"A son of the sea, am I" Gordon Lightfoot

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2008, 10:46:55 AM »
Filet mignon.  If I'm going to eat steak, I'm going to eat the best.

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2008, 10:49:02 AM »
1. Rib-Eye definitely
2. NY Strip
3. Flat Iron, little tough sometimes but awesome flavor

• friends
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2008, 10:52:36 AM »
i like filets for tender think ribeyes taste better.  mmmm flat iron  marinate 24  hours  a lil papaya juice and soy`` and garlic with some olive oil. cut real thin on a bais  almost no fat. they uh sed to be real cheap  not so much anymore
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2008, 10:54:01 AM »
Ribeye
Strip
Sirloin

IF I am adding price to the mix it is hard to say you can find better steak, for the money, then good sirloin.  But ribeye is my favorite as well.

I've never been a big fan of fillet.  Sure, it's tender, but it also doesn't have much in the way of good steak flavor.

I love flank, but I only serve it sliced not a big hunk of meaty goodness, so generally leave it of my favorite steak list.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Silver Bullet

• friend
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2008, 11:20:17 AM »
ribeye
t-bone/porterhouse

There is a steak house in El Paso called Cattleman's that serves a 72 oz steak.   shocked

I just had the 24 oz; guess I wasn't very hungry.   rolleyes

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2008, 12:03:12 PM »
Ribeye is best.
I always chuckle when the city folk talk about eating a NY strip or a porterhouse.
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

Larry Ashcraft

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2008, 12:07:40 PM »
Filet, ribeye, t-bone.  Angus is always the best.  Safeway's meats are good quality, but they just don't get the benefit of aging that the smaller butcher shop's do.

My neighbor owns a feedlot (yes, there are 1000 cattle about a quarter mile from my house).  He told me that the cattle he sells to the slaughterhouse on Monday are on the shelf at Safeway by Friday.  OTOH, there's a mom and pop butcher shop down the road that sells only Holstein beef that the owner raises on his own ranch.  His meat is excellent, because he knows how to properly kill, dress and age the beef.

Our best butcher shop closed down some time back.  The owner there would buy cows from the rancher, and then come out to the ranch, kill them, and haul them in to be processed.  He contended that hauling the cows to a slaughterhouse just got them full of adrenilin and tainted the meat.  I tend to think he was right.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2008, 12:17:43 PM »
"Was it Bloom?"

No. Safeway.

Generally I don't like the tenderloin/filet cuts.

Yes, they're exquisitely tender, but they generally fall down on taste.

That's why I like the ribeye so much, quite tender and great beef flavor.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2008, 12:34:19 PM »
Aging your own beef isn't hard. I've done it before. You just need to buy either really thick cuts (2 inches or more), or buy a primal and do the cutting yourself.

I threw a party some years ago. I bought a piece of Angus rib primal and aged it myself, then cut it into ribeyes. It was a pain in the ass having a 14-lb. chunk of prime beef take up the entire bottom of my fridge for a week and a half.

The results were worth it, though. My guests RAVED about the steaks.

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2008, 12:44:27 PM »
Actually, I've never been a big fan of steak. About the only kind I like is flank steak, marinated for around 8-10 hours in a teriyaki marinade and cooked to about medium to well done.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2008, 01:55:40 PM »
I divide my "steak" into to categories:

1. Simple: steak, grill, (maybe spices) & go.

2. Complex: steak that has been fiddled with (marinades, aged, etc.)

Simple
#1 Ribeye.  Tender & flavorful, what's not to like.

#2 Sirloin.  I skip the t-bones & porterhouses, as they are a bit too fatty & bony for my tastes.  If I am not paying the money for ribeye, get me a nice, lean sirloin and call it good.

A filet/tenderloin is fine, just lacking in flavor.  There is a reason they wrap them in bacon...

Complex
#1 London Broil marinaded a bit in cranberry juice concentrate, sliced thin, and served med to med-rare.  This is essentially a lean cut of round steak.  I like to get it as fresh as possible so as to maximize the time I feel I can marinade it in the cranberry juice.  I like to go two or three days minimum if I am to cook it soon.  I will freeze it, marinade & all if I get a good deal and don't expect to eat it for a while.  Something in the marinade/freezing process seems to break up the muscle fibers and tenderize it.  Yum, yum.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2008, 02:00:11 PM »
Something in the marinade/freezing process seems to break up the muscle fibers and tenderize it.  Yum, yum.

When the marinade freezes, it probably forms ice crystals which break down the muscle tissue. That's my guess, anyway.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Declaration Day

• friends
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2008, 02:19:29 PM »
Ribeye is my favorite.  The local Sam's Club sells excellent ribeyes.  I marinate them in Italian dressing overnight, then grill 'em.  They're so good and tender that I won't order a steak at any restaurant, because I'll end up paying a lot more for a steak that will almost certainly disappoint me.

• friends
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2008, 02:23:02 PM »
we used to have a decicatedbox for aging beef  moisture andtemp controlled wiyh uv lights to control the bacteria growth

grampster

• friend
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2008, 03:01:55 PM »
Sam's Club has surprisingly good meats.  I like ribeye's the best, then porterhouse/T bones, NY Strip and then blackened prime rib.  Medium rare.

We have a bar/restaurant on my lake and the owner serves ribeye's on special for Sunday and usually one day during the week.  He cuts them himself, so I always ask him to cut me one about half again thicker than what he sells on special.  Mmmmm.  Fried potatoes with mushrooms mixed in and garlic toast.  Mmmmmm.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2008, 03:28:03 PM »
i'm not that picky when it comes to steak. ribeyes, then t-bones would be on my list.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

nico

• friend
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2008, 03:53:31 PM »
I'll eat just about any red meat, but my favorite steaks are ribeye, porterhouse, fillet, and sirloin.  I generally don't like much of a marinade or too much seasoning on a good steak, but my girlfriend's mom has a marinade recipe that would probably make a shoe taste good

this thread is making me hungry shocked

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2008, 04:02:49 PM »
Aging is one of the reasons steak house steaks so good.  Aging tenderizes and flavors the meat, but there are some losses/reasons the average supermarket doesn't do it.  Mainly loss in weight.  When you sell your cuts based on weight a steak thats filled with more water brings more weight and therefor a higher price.  Aging works by removing the excess water (yet still staying juicy when done properly).  Also there is a reason aging is done as primals (the whole cut...think big roast) or even more often sides.  The outside will often soil and needs to be trimmed away, resulting in more loss.  The average consumer doesn't really give a hoot and doesn't notice much difference "Steak is steak" mentality.

Aging yourself is simple and you can do a few different ways.  The most basic and simplest is just to take your steak and leave it in the fridge, uncovered or covered with something that has holes to let air circulate, for up to a day.  You can do the same with roasts or whole primals depending on your available space.  I will use a tray or platter and set the meat on a rack to keep air circulating whenever I do more then steak for a few hours to avoid the meat sitting in juices and possibly spoiling.  I will also use a cover with holes in it just to keep something from rubbing against the meat.  I'll often buy a whole sirloin from sams club, for price you can't beat sirloin and it's about as versatile as it gets.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

• friends
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2008, 04:15:29 PM »
we age prime rib 21 days
and i've heard of as long as 6 weeks

atomd

« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2008, 04:58:29 PM »
I'm gonna have to agree with the majority here. Ribeye being #1 followed by T-bone. Tenderloin is well...tender...but I wouldn't spend my money on it.

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2008, 05:24:37 PM »
Used to camp and fish in Baja California stopping at the grocers and Mercado Hidalgo in Tijuana on our way south.  A grass fed filete entero, folded in thirds to form a rough cylinder, tied with cotton twine, and slow roasted over an open fire.  YUM!

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2008, 05:42:21 PM »
We age em' here till a side of beef is green with mold.... best damned steak you'll ever taste.