Author Topic: Favorite steak cut?  (Read 15341 times)

MechAg94

• friend
Re: Favorite steak cut?
« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2008, 06:25:01 PM »
I agree on Ribeye.  Juicy and tasty and it is hard to screw it up.  If it is a little overdone, it will likely still taste decent. 

If I had time and can cook it right, a T-bone is better though.  That tender meat up close to the bone is very tasty and tender. 

For marinade, I am a minimalist.  I don't like most marinades that restaurants do.  They are generally overpowering and get in the way of the beef taste.  Less is better with good beef. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

LAK

• friend
« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2008, 07:29:03 PM »
My wife and I have cut back on the red in recent years - we eat more chicken and fish than anything else. We still treat ourselves to a good steak once in awhile.

My order preference is filet, ribeye, t-bone or porterhouse and NY strip - medium. The more fat, the more well done on the outside I like it. Mashed potatoes and broccoli. Sometimes peas, green beans or corn. Sometimes I'll broil some onions and or red bell peppers. Add some salt, black pepper and english mustard at the table. Yum.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2008, 08:58:33 PM »
I refuse to marinate a good cut of meat, like a porterhouse, rib eye, or T-bone.

They simply don't need it.

Any extra flavor you want can be added after cooking with a sprinkle of your favorite rub and a pat of butter.

Aging doesn't just remove water, it gives natural enzymes in the meat time to act.

Generally, the meat you get in grocery stores is aged from 4 to 6 days. That just how long it takes from slaughter house to your local store getting it.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2008, 09:02:12 PM »
Rib eyes then KC Strip.

Put rub on it, let it set in frig for a few hours, then grill.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Iain

• friend
« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2008, 03:15:40 AM »
Heston Blumenthal did a show entirely about cooking the perfect steak. Long and involved process he developed, involved taking a big bit of rib, blow torching the outside and then putting it in an oven at exactly 50 degrees for 24 hours. Then cut and grill as normal. I'll try it one day when I can afford the risk of spoiling that much good meat.

The show is on youtube - search for heston steak and you'll find it.
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #30 on: May 18, 2008, 03:40:33 AM »
the sear and slow roast is good!  great flavor  less than 1/2 the shrinkage.  we started doing steamships that way. old way a 90 pound steamship would yield 5060 pounds max. with some tough overdone on the outside.takes 6-8 hours  or  put some dry rub on set oven at 550 toss it in for 15 mins then turn it down to 200  for 18-20 hours will be a beautiful pink med rare all the way through and be at least 15 pounds heavier. used to build a fire in a cast iron skillet ith briquets and throw hickory chips on it and toss it in bottom of oven if we wanted a smoked taste
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #31 on: May 18, 2008, 03:52:01 AM »
Ribeye's and sirloin here too.  We'd rather grill our own than go out.  But on occasion we do head to Texas Roadhouse for something different.

Most times I don't marinade but when we do, we use Dales Steak Marinade.  They are from Alabama.  Very good marinade but you need to be careful not to overdue it.  Couple of tablespoons full and your good to go.

LadySmith

• friends
  • Veni, Vidi, Jactavi Calceos
« Reply #32 on: May 18, 2008, 05:30:04 AM »
We age em' here till a side of beef is green with mold.... best damned steak you'll ever taste.
shocked
You actually eat that?!? Aging meat is letting it rot?
Yes, I'm a culinary ignoramus. I apologize in advance.
Rogue AI searching for amusement and/or Ellie Mae imitator searching for critters.
"What doesn't kill me makes me stronger...and it also makes me a cat-lover" - The Viking
According to Ben, I'm an inconvenient anomaly (and proud of it!).

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #33 on: May 18, 2008, 05:33:09 AM »
You trim the sections that have molded or otherwise spoil.

A primal is a very large chunk of meat. Spoilage is a surface process.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #34 on: May 18, 2008, 07:20:29 AM »
Damn, lennyjoe has found my secret.  Dale's is wonderful stuff, and has outlived the original steakhouse by decades.  Another vote for Sam's for surprisingly good meats.  I get the top sirloin there, and cook it every Saturday.  Dales + lemon-pepper dry marinade + garlic powder.  The only beef I order when in restaurants is prime rib, 'cause I've not found another steak I like better than the recipe above.
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

Declaration Day

• friends
« Reply #35 on: May 18, 2008, 07:59:54 AM »
Ok guys, I couldn't resist.  Here's tonight's dinner.  Ribeyes and Bell's Third Coast Old Ale, the best brew on earth.  grin

These ribeyes came from Costco, so I hope they're as good as the Sam's Club ones.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #36 on: May 18, 2008, 08:07:41 AM »
I got to go with ribeyes and KC strips. Yes, the meat from Sam's is usually excellent.

Mike is right, marinating good meat is a crime and should be punishable with 3 to 10 years at Micky D's! (OK, so I embellished a little). grin
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

xavier fremboe

• friends
  • All-American Meanie
    • The Shop
« Reply #37 on: May 18, 2008, 08:19:51 AM »
I've always heard that the rule is that the more the muscle is used, the more flavorful it is, but the tougher it is.  Hence filet being tender, but relatively bland.  Having said that, my favorite cut is about a 1.5 inch thick strip.  Ribeyes are great, but that marbling plays havoc with my digestive tract.

Anyone else ever thaw a cut of beast on a smoker?
If the bandersnatch seems even mildly frumious, best to shun it.  Really. http://www.cctplastics.com

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #38 on: May 18, 2008, 08:27:05 AM »
Served rare

1. Porterhouse
2. Ribeye
3. Sirloin

I buy my steaks from a Iowa family owned grocery store called Fareway. They only sell USDA Choice for the same prices as everyone else sells USDA Select.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #39 on: May 18, 2008, 09:51:15 AM »
Well, late to the thread, but I usually buy a Porterhouse and cut it into New York Strips and Fillets. Add half a stick of butter to half a cup of olive oil and brush that concoction on occasionally while I'm grilling. Never more than medium rare. I grill on a grilling plate, then for about the last minute, 30sec per side on the grill to give it the charbroiled look.

I just discovered Cabelas seasonings and really like them, especially the all purpose and garlic/beer. I sprinkle a bit on while I'm grilling.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

LAK

• friend
« Reply #40 on: May 18, 2008, 11:43:19 AM »
Whether in the oven at +pizza temperature or over a hot grill, I scorch the outsides quickly, then finish on a low heat.

xavier fremboe

• friends
  • All-American Meanie
    • The Shop
« Reply #41 on: May 18, 2008, 12:18:00 PM »
Whether in the oven at +pizza temperature or over a hot grill, I scorch the outsides quickly, then finish on a low heat.
Second that.  Maillard reaction makes it ever so tasty.
If the bandersnatch seems even mildly frumious, best to shun it.  Really. http://www.cctplastics.com

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #42 on: May 18, 2008, 12:45:13 PM »
don't forget to let it rest a few mins hen done
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Bob F.

• friend
« Reply #43 on: May 18, 2008, 04:54:58 PM »
Yrs ago worked for an attorney. Jack of all trades. He'd buy prime beef at the state fair, send to a GOOD, TRUSTED, slaugheter house/processor. One of the guys would call: "Beef's been hanging 6 weeks, can we cut it up before it falls off the hook?" "Yeah, save me the briskets and tongues, steaks 1.5 inches, grind everything else!"

Briskets I corned, ain't any better!!!!!!!!!!!! Tongue boiled in pickling spices, skinned and sliced: GREAT sandwich makings!!!!!!!!!!

Elton Brown did a seg on ageing beef cuts in the fridge. Seach on Foodnetwork.com

Smoked trout, anybody?

Bob
"I always have my primary weapon, it's right between my ears."

Bob F.

• friend
« Reply #44 on: May 18, 2008, 05:00:18 PM »
Oh, yeah! Ribeye! Hands down! Greasiest steak there is; therefore, the best!!

Declaration Day: especially like the marbling on the right. Have to find some third coast to try.

"I always have my primary weapon, it's right between my ears."

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #45 on: May 18, 2008, 05:03:40 PM »
I'm too poor to have a favorite steak cut.  Haven't had much experience eating the primo cuts.  I do really enjoy flatirons though.  A small- to medium-sized one of those makes a good meal for the three of us, and it's hard to cook it badly.  I definitely prefer my meat cut with the grain like that--flatron or flank steak or similar cuts--and then sliced thin.

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #46 on: May 18, 2008, 05:19:45 PM »
Totally forgot, by far the best steak I have EVER had was a series of buffalo rib steaks done up medium rare on a charcoal grill at my house.  No marinade, just salt and pepper.  This includes a steak history involving Ruth's Chris (overrated), most of the "hot spot" steak joints around Montana, and other places that all have good meat.  There was just no comparison. 

I got to go the herd and say "I want that one", the rancher shot it and told me to come back in two days for all the meat cut up, graded, plastic and butcher paper wrapped.  I will do that again this year.

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #47 on: May 18, 2008, 05:28:43 PM »
This includes a steak history involving Ruth's Chris (overrated),

Y'know, I've never been there, but I've heard their ads on the radio.  Is a superheated plate really a good selling point?  I guess they're not kid-friendly, but even before kiddo I never really like someone bringing a superheated dish to the table.  Seems to be asking for trouble, especially if there's a large jovial group and/or alcohol involved.  Just asking for trouble.  Tableware should not be that hazardous.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #48 on: May 18, 2008, 06:17:27 PM »
It's superheated because they sear the steak to around 1,800 degrees for just a couple of minutes. They are then plated with a big gob of butter onto a 500 degree plate, causing the steak to properly sizzle as it's served. 

I find it no different than Mexican dishes served on a hot plate, or Chinese sizzling rice soup. 

They say, "Careful, it's hot!" - and they mean it.  Caveat Emptor.  Wink

"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #49 on: May 18, 2008, 06:20:10 PM »
BTW, I'm a big Black Angus porterhouse fan, myself.

However, there's a bison ranch just north of me, and I'm working a deal where the owner lets me cull my own from the herd using my Sharps.  I just cast another batch of 535gr Postells, and hopefully, one will be used to fill the freezer in the not-too-distant future.  I've even gotten my picky wife to enjoy buffalo burgers, so I know the excursion will be met with approval.   grin 
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"