Author Topic: President Bush is right, but I see no action on lowering oil prices.  (Read 27121 times)

Desertdog

• friends

Saudi oil output hike would not solve US problems: Bush 
http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=080517140327.thd0wmmy&show_article=1

US President George W. Bush said on Saturday that a hike in oil output by Saudi Arabia would not solve American energy problems.
"It's not enough, it's something but it doesn't solve our problem," Bush told reporters in Egypt's Red Sea resort of Sharm el-Sheikh.

Bush said he was "pleased" with a Saudi decision taken on May 10 to increase its oil production by 300,000 barrels per day in response to customers, but said that he was "also realistic" about what the Americans should do.

"Our problem in America gets solved when we aggressively go for domestic exploration. Our problem in America gets solved if we expand our refining capacity, promote nuclear energy and continue our strategy for the advancing of alternative energies as well as conservation," he said. 

"One interesting thing about American politics these days is those who are screaming the loudest for increased production from Saudi Arabia are the very same people who are fighting the fiercest against domestic exploration, against the development of nuclear power and against expanding refining capacity." [/b]

Bush was in Egypt for talks with Palestinian leaders and to address the Middle East World Economic Forum which brings together 1,500 people, including heads of state, business leaders and ministers from 55 countries.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
This is itself bears repeating:

"One interesting thing about American politics these days is those who are screaming the loudest for increased production from Saudi Arabia are the very same people who are fighting the fiercest against domestic exploration, against the development of nuclear power and against expanding refining capacity."

However, the sooner we wean ourselves off the historical anomaly called a Petroleum Economy, the better we will be in the long run. 

We're so heavily committed to it nowadays, if there was another serious reduction in supply like the '73 Arab Oil Embargo, we'd all run around peeing ourselves like babies in diapers.  undecided
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

vernal45

• friend
[quoteWe're so heavily committed to it nowadays, if there was another serious reduction in supply like the '73 Arab Oil Embargo, we'd all run around peeing ourselves like babies in diapers.[/quote]

You are correct.  I work in the oil industry, and I can tell you straight up, there is enough oil in our own back yard to keep us going until another form of energy is found or put in place.  One of the BIG reason we are dependent on foreign oil are the tree hugging, blissninny, democrats who do not want us to drill in our own back yard.  Dont even get me started on this.  If you are pissed about gas prices, thank a democrat.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
However, the sooner we wean ourselves off the historical anomaly called a Petroleum Economy, the better we will be in the long run. 

Bullhockey.

Knocking over the use of petroleum before a more economically rational alternative comes to the fore is a recipe for disaster and depression.  For the foreseeable future, petroleum is the best bet if one desires prosperity and relevance.

Also, the Petroleum Economy is as much an anomaly as the Coal Economy before it.  IOW, not at all an anomaly, but a rational phase of technological development.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

grampster

• friend

Bullhockey.

Knocking over the use of petroleum before a more economically rational alternative comes to the fore is a recipe for disaster and depression.  For the foreseeable future, petroleum is the best bet if one desires prosperity and relevance.

Also, the Petroleum Economy is as much an anomaly as the Coal Economy before it.  IOW, not at all an anomaly, but a rational phase of technological development.

Well said.

Having said that, the trick is to get the oil people to get really involved in alternatives because increased extraction and refining is a self defeating prophecy for them.  Alternative energy will remain only a niche, but it is a niche that will extend the oil and gas bidness for another x number of decades.  But the gas and oil guys should be the ones to expand that niche.  We need free them up to exploit oil, gas and increase refining capability.  Don't forget those refineries will go extinct once nuclear power has been expanded by 10 or 20 fold as well as geo thermal, current, wave, wind and solar tech.  I believe solar, wind and the rest will always be niche energy sources.  Nuclear power and fusion power is the way to go imho.

Bush's remarks are the smartest thing he's said in awhile.  Too bad McCain is opposed to it.  Of course, so is Obama.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
Bullhockey.

Save your expletives, Junior.

I didn't say we needed to jump into something without thinking about it first, did I?

F*&@ No! In fact, I DEFY you to state where I said that.

However, having personally been there and done that in 1974, everything old is new again, with an incredible feeling of deja' vu to boot. Fights at gas lines?  Yup.  People downsizing their gas guzzlers?  Yup.  People moving closer to their workplaces?  Yup. Skipping the vacation trip to Mount Rushmore with the kids in the SUV this summer?  Yup.

We are so far up to our eyebulbs on the amortized system that John D. Rockefeller and his cohorts created 100+ years ago, that we couldn't move one friggin' foot without suffering as a result.  IOW, everybody wants to "explore" petroleum alternatives, but nobody wants to either foot the research/development bill, or budge on their personal comfort zones.  You can see it here on APS, bitch, bitch, bitch, and yet no real suggestions as to how to fix it.  Sure, we can drill for more somewhere, and somebody even came up with an explanation that oil replenishes itself (to the tune of several million barrels/day?) . That'll satiate us for what, a few more decades at best? We are a thirsty nation, dependent on a humongous amount of petroleum for darned near every aspect of our daily lives, from transportation of our fat butts to and fro, to movement of our goods and services, shipping all that precious gasoline to gas guzzlers, right down to the plastic packaging of our Twinkies.  As a nation, we really don't have a pot to piss in, unless it's made from or produced by petroleum.  That's a sad statement of affairs, and it's somewhat ironic that the Saudis told GWB to pound sand this week when he asked them to increase production. 

I wonder if he acted like some twitching crack addict while he asked King Abdullah for another petroleum fix?  "Dude, we need MORE!"   The leader of the world's most powerful country, reduced to begging from his biggest dealer.  Nice...

So in the meantime, we can continue to bitch and pay the oil man, or we can explore other ways to stay "prosperous and relevant".  I may be a bit over the top with my off-grid solar electric system here and my biofuel vehicle, but I also expect $200/barrel crude before the end of the year, and I'm already seeing folks making serious lifestyle changes.  To think I've saved some big-honkin' H3 driver several hundred gallons of gasoline already - they should be thanking me, for Gawd's sake. The dollar's weak, we're in a recession, and fuel prices are still going to go up further.  Reality sucks, I know.  IMHO, we deserve to get bitch-slapped, and hard, for thinking that we were going to run on cheap fuel forever.

MechAg94

• friend
I caught a brief part of a financial radio show a week or so ago.  One thing they mentioned was the amount of money that is invested in the futures markets in this country as well as oil futures as compared to 10 or 20 or 30 years ago.  Apparently, the total is a couple orders of magnitude higher these days.  They implied that is part of what is driving up prices. 

Anyway, not sure how true that is.  Please comment if you know.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
Very true.  There are way too many people speculating in oil.  There is far more money invested in oil futures than is reasonable. 

A few years ago it wasn't even feasible for the average amateur investor to buy futures.  Now it's become easy, and even "trendy" (if that's the right word) to invest in futures.  Lots amateur investors think that commodities in general, and oil in particular, are going to rise in price forever.  "Oil?  Why on earth would oil ever get cheaper?" 

I have a sneaky suspicion that oil prices are going to tank.  A lot of people are going to lose a lot, and I mean a lot, of money.  Leverage is scary when it's working against you.  It may not happen any time soon (probably not until interest rates rise again), but I'm betting that there's going to be a major oil price bust sometime.

wmenorr67

• friend
To some extent I think this meeting with the Saudis was just a staged show put on by Bush and Co.  He already knew the answer and actually has been saying the same thing for a few years now.  But now he has an outside interest telling us that no matter how much oil we have, we still cannot refine it.

As I stated in an earlier post it does no good to bring in 1000 barrels a day if you can only refine 800 barrels a day.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Parker Dean

• friend
To some extent I think this meeting with the Saudis was just a staged show put on by Bush and Co. 

Not "to some extent" but rather guaranteed it was all show. Any professional government works out the results of heads of state meetings in advance and the actual meeting is ceremony. You might get a surprise announcement from some Third-world yahoo, but First and Second World government leaders don't like surprises, especially ones that make them look bad at home.

While I understand the political necessity of this for domestic consumption, what I hated about the whole thing was the appearance of the US President going with hat in hand to beg before the Bashaw. Basically says the US exists at the pleasure of the Saudi King. Grrrrrrrr!

MechAg94

• friend
Re: President Bush is right, but I see no action on lowering oil prices.
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2008, 04:49:42 AM »
The only thing I dislike is that Saudi is not even close to our largest oil supplier. 

I do hear people say stuff about the arabs raising the price of oil.  There are a lot of people who do not understand what is happening. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2008, 06:29:35 AM »
Very true.  There are way too many people speculating in oil.  There is far more money invested in oil futures than is reasonable. 

A few years ago it wasn't even feasible for the average amateur investor to buy futures.  Now it's become easy, and even "trendy" (if that's the right word) to invest in futures.  Lots amateur investors think that commodities in general, and oil in particular, are going to rise in price forever.  "Oil?  Why on earth would oil ever get cheaper?" 

I have a sneaky suspicion that oil prices are going to tank.  A lot of people are going to lose a lot, and I mean a lot, of money.  Leverage is scary when it's working against you.  It may not happen any time soon (probably not until interest rates rise again), but I'm betting that there's going to be a major oil price bust sometime.

The "Petroleum Bubble©"!!!!!!  It's mine! All mine!!
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2008, 06:31:28 AM »
The "Petroleum Bubble©"!!!!!!  It's mine! All mine!!

Petroleum bubbles would make a terrible mess of the carpet. I think soap bubbles are safer.

mek42

« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2008, 03:53:02 PM »
All of my oil investments are A) not worth mentioning in terms of net worth and B) all non-margined long investments of companies, so I'm doing my part to not make the problem worse.

I saw something about a personal ethanol mfg device that looked kind of like a gas pump on TV the other night.  They said it is in development and has a target price of $5 - 10K.  Uses sugar, not corn.  Any thoughts on this as a stop-gap alternative?

I really wish the environmentalists would come towards the middle ground and accept nuclear power as an alternative to fossil fuel electricity.

Desertdog

• friends
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2008, 06:23:08 PM »
I really wish the environmentalists would come towards the middle ground and accept nuclear power as an alternative to fossil fuel electricity.

My personal belief is that the environmentalists are trying to return the common folk to the 1800s.  No motor vehicles, no electricity.  The motor vehicles and electricity will be for the elite environmentalist.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2008, 06:36:56 PM »

IIRC, half of the natural gas used in the US is for the production of electricity.  Switching to nuclear would certainly reduce quite a bit of our dependence on petroleum.
Shell's Gas To Liquid (clean burning diesel) program has been pretty successful in the cities where it has been tried.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2008, 10:18:39 AM »
Bullhockey.

Save your expletives, Junior.

I didn't say we needed to jump into something without thinking about it first, did I?

F*&@ No! In fact, I DEFY you to state where I said that.

Save your bluster, Codger. Wink

And your straw-men. 

Between the two and the general tone, it seems you are hoping for some sort of economic calamity to befall this nation.

Besides, the following sentence has some pretty serious problems with reality:
Unless also one considers things like coal, water power, steam & internal combustion engines anomalies; petroleum is not an anomaly. 

Also, you wrote "...the sooner...the better..." without qualification.  Usually "the sooner, the better" is not indicative of dispassionate study and meditation.

IMHO, we deserve to get bitch-slapped, and hard, for thinking that we were going to run on cheap fuel forever.
Maybe you deserve a bitch-slapping for thinking such. If so, take a number & get in line.  I hear some folk pay good money for that kinda treatment.  The rest of us who experienced some of the same history as you have and do not limit their data consumption to the latest American Dancing with the Star's Big Brother updates will forgo the bitch-slapping and work the problem or suck it up & drive on.

Yep, drive on.  Because the "Petroleum Economy" and the internal combustion engine is here to stay for at least another 50 years.

Past 50 years, I bet something else will prove itself superior to petroleum & folks will transition of their own accord.  Forcing the issue with gooberment subsidies and mandates is a sure way to strangle any real progress.  Just ask the Japanese how much gov't subsidy helped them whoop up on Intel & AMD in the CPU market...

For folks who are interested in data, below is a description of some fuels' densities, costs relative to costs.

Code:
                              solid/liquid density               volumetric energy density    mass energy density      US retail/consumer cost
                              (mass/vol)                         (energy/volume)              (energy/mass)            (2007-05 prices in 2007 USD)
                              kg/m3     g/cm3     lb/USGal       BTU/USGal     MJ/m3          BTU/lb    MJ/Kg          USD/USGal       USD/short_ton    direct_subsidy/USGal   USS/USGal_sub      USD/BTU_usgal     pct_rel_gas
petrodiesel                   880       0.880     7.33           144238        40200          19689     45.68          $4.52           $1,234.21        $0.00                  $4.52              $0.0000314        103%
biodiesel                     920       0.920     7.66           135985        37900          17755     41.20          $4.25           $1,109.54        $1.00                  $5.25              $0.0000386        127%
gasoline_reg                  737       0.737     6.14           124862        34800          20345     47.20          $3.79           $1,236.07        $0.00                  $3.79              $0.0000304        100%
ethanol                       789       0.789     6.57           84318         23500          12837     29.78          $3.73           $1,135.46        $0.51                  $4.24              $0.0000503        165%
coal_anthracite_bulk          1105      1.105     9.20           114977        32045          12499     29.00          $1.73           $37.51           $0.00                  $1.73              $0.0000150        49%
coal_bituminous_bulk          833       0.833     6.94           117699        32804          16973     39.38          $1.49           $42.86           $0.00                  $1.49              $0.0000126        42%
woodchips_dry_softwood_bulk   190       0.190     1.58           14998         4180           9482      22.00
water (for reference)         1000      1.000     8.33           -             -              -         -

http://www.woodgas.com/fuel_densities.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bituminous_coal
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthracite
http://www.simetric.co.uk/si_materials.htm
http://www.unh.edu/p2/biodiesel/article_alge.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diesel
http://hypertextbook.com/physics/matter/density/
http://www.eia.doe.gov/
http://www.fuelgaugereport.com/

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2008, 10:30:24 AM »
How can I be hoping for an economic calamity?

I've already lived through one oil-induced crisis.  I'm somewhat incredulous that we as Americans have learned *nothing* from that experience.

I have a stepson who owns a 5.7L 4x4 Suburban.  It sits in the driveway, and he's been borrowing mom's Hyundai because it doesn't cost him $167.00 to fill up.  His comfort zone has been squeezed.  I wonder how others will fare? What's your limit?  $5.00/gallon?  $6.00/gallon?

Yes, it's probably a safe bet that the current petroleum economy will be here another 50 years.

And those will be a damned interesting 50 years, I might add.

It's not as if we didn't see it coming, though.

Once again, I'll call it a historical footnote, just like the coal-burning years prior to John D. Rockefeller. 

The "Let them eat cake" days are very much over, it's just that some didn't get the memo.

(Well, some did, I see they're laying off more folks supplying the Janeseville GM assembly plant - the one that builds Tahoes, Yukons, and Suburbans...)

Desertdog

• friends
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2008, 12:26:14 PM »
I'll bet the government is already seeing a drop in fuel taxes collectioned.  Maybe that will spur them to permit more oil well drilling and refinery capacity being built, which would lower the price of motor fuel, which would increase sales and taxes collected

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2008, 12:27:14 PM »
I'll bet the government is already seeing a drop in fuel taxes collectioned.  Maybe that will spur them to permit more oil well drilling and refinery capacity being built, which would lower the price of motor fuel, which would increase sales and taxes collected

Nah. Dem majority, remember? RAISE TAXES!

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2008, 08:57:47 PM »

<snip>

Every past "oil bubble " has burst.  The factors at work today aren't the same as past bubbles, but there aren't that many differences, either.  We'll see about this one.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

taurusowner

« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2008, 09:35:25 PM »
We have nearly a trillion barrels of oil in American soil.  Start ####ing drilling for it, and get rid of the people who stand in the way.  problem solved.

doc2rn

« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2008, 06:26:42 PM »
Make them compete with E85. All congress has to do is mandate all cars be flex fueled. Problem solved, they will have to reduce cost to be competitive. Not to mention if they where not in the pocket of the Detroit automakers who have been reducing MPG since '92.

taurusowner

« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2008, 08:10:53 PM »
Sorry doc, all the food stuffs in the world couldn't make up for more than a third of the oil needs.  Not that it would matter since we would all die of starvation.  Ethanol is a joke.  A wasteful and harmful joke at that.

You cannot quadruple the plants that get turned into ethanol simply by "mandating" it.  Not to mention it take 5 gallons of fresh water to make 1 gallon of ethanol.  Where you gonna get that?  Drain the Great Lakes? 

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2008, 01:20:53 AM »
Read and consider.....

http://www.star-telegram.com/ed_wallace/story/651928.html

In My Opinion: One law is causing prices to go through the roof

By Ed Wallace
Special to the Star-Telegram
"Theres a few hedge fund managers out there who are masters at knowing how to exploit the peak [oil] theories and hot buttons of supply and demand and by making bold predictions of shocking price advancements to come, they only add more fuel to the bullish fire in a sort of self fulfilling prophecy."  National Gas Week, Sept. 5, 2005 as reprinted in the US Senate Permanent Subcommittee on Investigations report, "The Role of Market Speculation in Rising Oil and Gas Prices," June 27, 2006
Fiddling While We Burn

There it is in plain sight for everyone to see, exactly what Ive been reporting for the past few years: Many individuals who are investing in oil and natural gas futures are going out in the media and trying to convince the American public that either we are out of oil or there is a serious supply shortage of crude against worldwide demand. The question is: Does it surprise you to discover that the US Senate investigated the rigging of the oil market by speculators in the summer of 2006  and concluded that there was no supply and demand problem with oil? Did you know that their conclusion was that speculators were responsible for a 70 percent overcharge in the price of oil in the months leading up to the summer of 2006?

This from page 1 of the Executive Summary of that Senate investigation, there is this one troubling line: "Today, U.S. oil inventories are at an eight-year high, and OECD (Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development) oil inventories are at a 20-year high."

Thats odd because, in 2006, just like today, the media reporting covered the serious international shortage of oil and justified oils high price. Even more troubling is that the House of Representatives held a hearing this past December, ominously titled "Energy Speculation and Price Manipulation." How did it pass under the radar that both the Senate and the House studied the issue of price manipulation in our energy markets and both concluded that it was unregulated, massive trading in one futures market that was really driving up the price of oil and natural gas? And given that conclusion, why has Congress done nothing about it?

Investors Make the News, Literally

A week ago Goldman Sachs issued a new investor note, suggesting that somewhere between six months to two years, the price of oil could go into a "super spike" and prices jump as high as $200 per barrel. It became the major story of the night. Ignored in the reporting frenzy was that many legitimate and well-respected oil analysts dismissed Goldman Sachs prediction as groundless.

Get ready for the next shock to your system. In the past month we have added 11.9 million barrels of oil into our stock reserves, giving us 32.3 million more barrels of oil than we had on hand January 1. On May 5, we found out that for the second time in as many years, Iran was storing its excess crude oil on tankers in the Persian Gulf, because it had run out of storage space in the desert and was awaiting buyers for its heavy crude. That same day Saudi Arabia cut the discount price for its Arabian Heavy crude to $7.45, hoping to entice more buyers for immediate delivery. We didnt hear that news, either.

While researching my third article for BusinessWeek online about the worlds oil situation in 2008, I asked for the most current report from Oil Movements. Because the oil industry is not transparent, Oil Movements tracks every tanker at sea, from both OPEC and non-OPEC oil countries, along with their cargoes final destinations. Anne OShea responded immediately to my request with their report dated May 8, 2008. Just so you will know, oil shipments are up from a year ago in almost every class, including Middle East oil in transit and Non-OPEC in Transit. The only class of oil shipment that has declined is covered on page 3 of that report. That chart is labeled, "4-Week Changes in Westbound Oil at Sea."

Thats right, shipments of oil headed west have shown serious declines during the month of April, down 800,000 barrels per day in the week before the publication of the report. Now, let me give you the first line from under the Westbound Oil shipments chart: "In the west, a big share of any [oil] stock building done this year has happened offshore, out of sight."

Could this be true? Oil Movements, the unimpeachable source for finding the real world situation on oil transits, is saying that oil is being hidden offshore, not declared in inventories? Yes, that is exactly what they are saying.

That same week our refineries cut their production runs back to 85 percent, down from 89 percent a year ago, to trim more gasoline out of our stock reserves, to increase their profits per gallon.

National Short-Term Memory Loss

Its amazing how quickly we forget our recent history. Congressional hearings in 2001, blasting certain Wall Street executives for using the media to sell the public on stocks in order to bid up the price  so their firm could divest of its shares without taking a beating. Meanwhile, other trusted advisors pushed stocks that were fundamentally worthless, because their affiliated banks had large loan agreements with those companies.

The year before Enron had been caught manipulating the California energy market, even forcing rolling blackouts across the northern part of their state apparently just for effect  to support their claim that there just wasnt enough electricity to go around. Again, we now know that claim was untrue. It was Enron shutting down certain power generation plants, while placing bets on their unregulated energy futures market. The net cost to California consumers was almost $8 billion.

It didnt end there. Amaranth Advisors, a hedge fund, literally was cornering the market on natural gas futures, to make it appear that there was a shortage of natural gas, when the Commodities Futures Trading Commission told Amaranth to liquidate its position on the NYMEX because its bidding had already moved natural gas prices far beyond the reasonable limits of supply and demand. Now, remember this name: ICE, short for Intercontinental Exchange  the "dark futures lookalike market."

Once the CFTC told it to back off its natural gas futures contracts, Amaranth simply shifted gears, got out of the NYMEX, placed its massive bets outside of government regulation in ICE and managed to drive natural gas futures to $8.50 per MBtu.

As the Senate investigation into the manipulation of the energy markets showed, "Amaranth  the day before they failed, natural gas was about $8.50; the day after it failed, it went to $4.46 MBtu." Thats right, one major hedge fund managed to double the price of natural gas simply by loading up on futures contracts; when the government told them their bets were unwarranted, they simply moved their monies to a futures exchange that was unregulated. Only when Amaranth failed did natural gas prices fall back to what was considered normal for supply and demand.

Sadly, like oil today, when this was happening we were being told that natural gas supplies were tight worldwide. That statement simply wasnt true.

Dark Future

Likewise, British Petroleum was busted for manipulating the propane market in the winter of 2004 and fined $373 million. Of course, in Texas, under deregulation of our public utilities, our electric rates can be set using the futures market for natural gas, so the manipulation of the natural gas market spelled trouble for us. Consider this, by 2006, according to www.powertochoose.org, electricity rates for us had climbed to 15 cents a kilowatt-hour due to the high cost of natural gas. But, that was the exact same time period that Amaranth was proven to be manipulating the market and sending natural gas futures through the roof. Two months later the hedge fund collapsed and natural gas prices fell. Therefore, most Texans paid higher electric bills for Amaranths manipulation of the natural gas market.

Professor Michael Greenberger of the University of Maryland, a former board member of the Commodities Futures Trading Commission, testified in front of the House Committee on Energy and Commerce on December 14 of last year. Under discussion that day was the manipulation of the energy markets and prices, but Professor Greenberger added these comments: "Three, four months from now, youre going to have a hearing on the subprime meltdown, and youre going to find that the very same legislation [deregulating energy] deregulated something called collateralized debt obligations, CDOs." That legislation, friends, directly ties the mortgage meltdown to the high price of energy today.

It was called H.R. 5660, the Commodities Futures Modernization Act of 2000. At first this bill went nowhere in the House, not even up for debate. Then, a few months later, late one night a 242-page bill written by Wall Street lawyers, with the exact same name as the former House bill, was quietly added to an 11,000-page appropriations bill, and the Enron loophole was created. The power behind that bill was one Texas Senator, one Texas Congressman and their wives.

Next week: How the unregulated futures market pushes the price of oil, natural gas and gasoline far beyond those commodities market value, thanks to the creation of the Intercontinental Exchange. Worse, Congress knows this, but does nothing.

© 2008 Ed Wallace

Ed Wallace is a recipient of the Gerald R. Loeb Award for business journalism, given by the Anderson School of Business at UCLA, and is a member of the American Historical Society. He reviews new cars every Friday morning at 7:15 on Fox Fours Good Day, contributes articles to BusinessWeek Online and hosts the talk show, Wheels, 8:00 to 1:00 Saturdays on 570 KLIF. E-mail: wheels570@sbcglobal.net
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.