Author Topic: The Incredible Shrinking Product!  (Read 9598 times)

Regolith

• friend
Re: The Incredible Shrinking Product!
« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2008, 04:33:18 PM »
Dreyer's is doing it too.  Safeway made it not-so-obvious by having the old 1.75 quart tubs right next to the 1.5 quart ones.  For the same price.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2008, 04:40:07 PM »
Yeah, things like coffee really pack on the fat.

They'll get around to downsizing your beer soon enough.

And you know, to hear the sky is falling chicken little brigade screeching about the falling dollar, you'd think they would have gotten fed up with it and gone off the grid and into full barter survival mode a long time ago. But, I guess, that would mean giving up their computers and outlet for whining...

"He wants Big Government to protect people from themselves, wants the NRA to fight for his local gun rights for him, and wants companies to dictate portions for him."

Wow. You know, I think you're close, but no cigar.

I think it's a desire born out of sheer laziness. It's retro-natal. It would remove the need for one to think or do for himself, someone else picks up the baggage all the time.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2008, 04:41:40 PM »
Dreyer's is doing it too.  Safeway made it not-so-obvious by having the old 1.75 quart tubs right next to the 1.5 quart ones.  For the same price.

Exactly what Giant did here in DC.

It's curious that this would happen with multiple companies across the nation at the same time. Either they're under control of the same parent company, or they're colluding.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2008, 05:15:02 PM »
Hey!  Someone disappeared the posts about fistul's package!

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2008, 05:40:52 PM »
It's probably for the best. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #30 on: May 19, 2008, 05:58:51 PM »
the reasonable-portion-size, overweight-americans argument really only works on products packaged in individual servings, like yogurt.  And they could increase the nutrition per ounce and reduce calories in yogurt by simply cutting the hfcs in half.  Yogurt does *not* need to be that sweet. 

Usually I make my own fruit yogurt by adding fruit to plain yogurt.  That's on hold for awhile until I've got both hands back, but we're eating a ton of the pre-flavored yogurt.  Ludicrously sweet.  None of the lower sugar alternatives are less sweet, they just have aspartame or sucralose.  yuk!

Smaller packages are less environmentally too; they increase the amount of packaging per ounce of product.  If, of course you *really* want to play that game!  laugh

crt360

• friend
« Reply #31 on: May 19, 2008, 06:15:05 PM »

I think they already have.  I saw a six pack of Bud Light the other night and each can was about the size of a baseball. shocked  Maybe they've already been selling these in Wussieville, but around here most consider 12oz. cans "kiddie-sized."
For entertainment purposes only.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #32 on: May 19, 2008, 07:03:35 PM »
So why the name in Jumping Jehosaphat does ketchup need sugar or HFCS in it or freaking pasta sauce?

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #33 on: May 19, 2008, 07:17:45 PM »
Anybody notice how energy drinks are getting bigger? lol  laugh
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #34 on: May 19, 2008, 07:20:47 PM »
Anybody notice how energy drinks are getting bigger? lol  laugh

Just more water and corn syrup.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #35 on: May 19, 2008, 07:54:03 PM »
Ah, America, don't you love it.?  Where else can you blame other people and/or things for your own problems?.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #36 on: May 19, 2008, 08:13:06 PM »
And you know, to hear the sky is falling chicken little brigade screeching about the falling dollar, you'd think they would have gotten fed up with it and gone off the grid and into full barter survival mode a long time ago. But, I guess, that would mean giving up their computers and outlet for whining...

"He wants Big Government to protect people from themselves, wants the NRA to fight for his local gun rights for him, and wants companies to dictate portions for him."

Wow. You know, I think you're close, but no cigar.

I think it's a desire born out of sheer laziness. It's retro-natal. It would remove the need for one to think or do for himself, someone else picks up the baggage all the time.

Mike, you've long since proven you're very good at dissing everyone else, but how about some solutions?   You never seem to offer any.  Only criticism.   Was Obama right?   Are you Pennsylvania types simply bitter, clinging to guns an religion?  Yet, you don't seem to have any religion at all, except the religion of bitterness and anger.   Even fistful has religion.  Surely you can keep up with him, can't you?   What is your mission in life?  To work miserably for 40 years then 'retire' in exhaustion somewhere in the Southwest?

You're better than that, Mike. 

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #37 on: May 19, 2008, 08:30:50 PM »
Ah, America, don't you love it.?  Where else can you blame other people and/or things for your own problems?

Myanmar?  China?  Venezuela?  The entire Islamic world from Libya to Afghanistan?  I think the only ones not blaming someone else right now are the Kiwis, but I could be wrong.
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #38 on: May 19, 2008, 08:39:00 PM »
Let me add then, And not get shot for doing so.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #39 on: May 20, 2008, 02:42:17 AM »
Look people, from now on you give Paddy SOLUTIONS, darn it!  How dare you waste his time with your carping?  Give the man solutions to his problems!

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #40 on: May 20, 2008, 03:19:34 AM »
Solutions?

Well, it's certainly not found in the bottom of a bottle of malt liquor, a racist screed, or a diatribe about how the dollar will now only buy 0.000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000003 cents of what it would buy at 7 p.m. last night.

I think it's pretty evident what my "solutions" are...

Take responsibility for yourself and your future - don't depend on someone else to do it for you, be it NRA, big government, or Fistful.

Take action when you perceive a problem, don't just bitch about it.

The only thing you truly own in this life is yourself and your actions.

When you surrender those to someone else, that which made you a person is gone.

LadySmith

• friends
  • Veni, Vidi, Jactavi Calceos
« Reply #41 on: May 20, 2008, 04:14:16 AM »
The first I heard of an Incredible Shrinking Product was when I was a kid. My best friends mom worked at a potato chip plant and said this is what they did all the time&
1. Sell x-amount of chips that filled a normal bag.
2. Gradually decrease the amount the amount of chips until it only filled half the bag, but keep the price the same.
3. Eventually shrink the size of the bag to match the amount of chips.
4. Sell what used to be the original size of the bag as a larger version at an increased price.
5. Repeat.

I read about an incident like this that failed in a college psychology class.
An attempt to use the potato chip technique by a certain name-brand of feminine product failed when women switched to other brands that didnt decrease the amount of their product. The name-brand people quietly restored their quantity.
As my cellie used to say, "Slow money is better than no money."
Rogue AI searching for amusement and/or Ellie Mae imitator searching for critters.
"What doesn't kill me makes me stronger...and it also makes me a cat-lover" - The Viking
According to Ben, I'm an inconvenient anomaly (and proud of it!).

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #42 on: May 20, 2008, 04:15:41 AM »
Potato chip bags are made larger and inflated with air to appear larger, but the actual chips are usually only half the bag.

If people were actually discerning consumers, you wouldn't see that, people people would reject such simple tricks. But the vast majority of consumers are either stupid or lazy. It's their own fault for not reading labels, comparing weights, volume and price.

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #43 on: May 20, 2008, 04:29:52 AM »
So why the name in Jumping Jehosaphat does ketchup need sugar or HFCS in it or freaking pasta sauce?

Thats an easy one.  Our species is programed to equate sweet with nutritious (from the days when the only sweet things were fruits, flowers and the occasional taste of honey), so sweeteners are added to "improve" the flavor of packaged foods and the subconscious perception that it is "good".  HFCS is cheaper than sucrose, so it gets added over that same sucrose that used to be in the product.  You really gotta read labels when you buy stuff, else you end up with sucrose or HFCS in your ketchup & mustard on the fries; in the chicken noodle soup that goes with the suger in the bread that makes up peanut-butter sandwich (where the peanut-butter has suger added) that you have for lunch.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

LadySmith

• friends
  • Veni, Vidi, Jactavi Calceos
« Reply #44 on: May 20, 2008, 04:30:57 AM »

Potato chip bags are made larger and inflated with air to appear larger, but the actual chips are usually only half the bag.
How would you know? Don't tell me you eat potato chips!  shocked
Oh noes, my faith in Manedwolf's health guru status!!11!  cheesy
Just kidding, Maned.  grin
Rogue AI searching for amusement and/or Ellie Mae imitator searching for critters.
"What doesn't kill me makes me stronger...and it also makes me a cat-lover" - The Viking
According to Ben, I'm an inconvenient anomaly (and proud of it!).

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #45 on: May 20, 2008, 04:41:01 AM »
Potato chip and other snack bags are inflated with air because it helps protect the chips during shipping. They're their own air pak.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #46 on: May 20, 2008, 04:44:56 AM »
Plus usually the "air" is nitrogen.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #47 on: May 20, 2008, 04:48:55 AM »
Some chip makers use nitrogen flush, some don't.

The nationals use it to increase shelf life.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #48 on: May 20, 2008, 08:49:05 AM »
Hey, Mike, you forgot to tell Paddy that you offered a solution early-on in the thread.

1.  Boycott

2.  Write nasty letters. 

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #49 on: May 20, 2008, 09:47:31 AM »

I think they already have.  I saw a six pack of Bud Light the other night and each can was about the size of a baseball. shocked  Maybe they've already been selling these in Wussieville, but around here most consider 12oz. cans "kiddie-sized."

Around here, most consider Bud Light "kiddie-beer"....  grin
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.