Author Topic: Digital to analog TV converters - *UPDATE*  (Read 6257 times)

Typhoon

• friend
Re: A run on digital to analog TV converters
« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2008, 10:27:03 PM »
Field box MVP seats and infield box seats at Dodger Stadium go for $130 and $110 respectively on game day.  Yeah, they are up front, but not that much up front. 

http://losangeles.dodgers.mlb.com/ticketing/singlegame.jsp?c_id=la

I've only sat really close using someone's corporate tickets.

But it's not just the cost of the seats.  Parking and extraordinarily overpriced crummy beer and other concessions need to be factored in. 

I don't even wanna know how much tickets are at Staples Center (Lakers basketball).
To the stars!

Phyphor

• friend
« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2008, 10:51:23 PM »
Instant replays and sometimes a better view depending on your seats.

Plus you can also watch other games that maybe on at the time.

...wait, you will pay money for seats and then watch the game on TV or even watch something completely different?

*mind shuts down*
What's your problem, Mate? That makes more sense (to me) than paying $100 for a seat that's so poor you can see the game better on a dinky little pocket telly. If I wanted to watch the game on the telly, why not stay home and watch it on a wide screen with surround sound?

I used to think I was an American, but I think I'm really a Martian. I don't understand Americans at all.

HOW MUCH MONEY FOR A SEAT?!

You are joking.

There cannot exist $100 seats at sporting events, unless you're talking about some hugely important event of world-shattering importance, and/or the seat is right in front.

I roll a saving throw against illusion. I think I need to get a +5 bonus on it.

He failed his spot check against Isrealis,

But yes, here in the US, it can be that horribly expensive.
"You know what's messed-up about taxes?
You don't even pay taxes. They take tax.
You get your check, money gone.
That ain't a payment, that's a jack." - Chris Rock "Bigger and Blacker"
He slapped his rifle. "This is one of the best arguments for peace there is. Nobody wants to shoot if somebody is going to shoot back. " Callaghen, Callaghen, Louis La'mour

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2008, 08:45:39 AM »
Ya think so?

Try to get tickets to a Packers game in Lambeau Field this fall. 

Let me know how much you pay for them.

And that's after Brett Favre retired...

Yes, sporting event tickets are expensive here - evidently more so than in Israel.

Of course, we have a few more sports venues than "Pin the Uzi Tail on the Tel Aviv Suicide Bomber Donkey", too.  Wink
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2008, 08:52:46 AM »
Try to get tickets to a Packers game in Lambeau Field this fall. 

No thanks, I have better things to do than be a spectator. :p

The idea of paying more than $10-$15 for a ticket to a sporting event makes me ill.

Chris

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Re: Digital to analog TV converters
« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2008, 12:15:03 PM »
Got my boxes last night.  After doing a LOT of digging it looks like the Zenith DTT900 was the most universally liked (as much as you can "universally like" a generic no-frills tuner).  Circuit City had 'em and they are right around the corner.

I forgot two things, though.  1)  How huge a pain it is getting all the crap out of my entertainment center, and 2) How heavy some of that crap is once it's out.  But I gotted 'er dun and it's all wired through my system.  I can switch the converter just like my other components.

All I can say is ... WOW!  The analog signal I had was very clear, but it's crap compared to digital.  It's the difference between watching a VHS video and, say, the latest Pixar release on DVD.  And the sound is soooooo much better.  It's not an issue on my bedroom set, but on my living room system the difference is marked.

I had to fight the one in my bedroom a little, but only because of signal strenth issues.  It took some antenna finagling to get the box happy on all stations.  Other than that setup on the boxes was straightforward and uneventful.

Brad.
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB