Author Topic: Obama wants the UN to control your thermostat, too? Or how much you eat?  (Read 14717 times)

Manedwolf

• friend
We cant drive our SUVs and eat as much as we want and keep our homes on 72 degrees at all times & and then just expect that other countries are going to say OK, Obama said.

http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5h-wpxs1Re-8vx2Zk5xnYygW1W67w

I wonder what HIS thermostat is set on in his house? Perhaps we should establish international inspectors to check what he's got it set at, first.

And how much we eat? Fine, Obama. Iran says you can't eat your waffle.

Oh, yeah, and in a random search...you'd expect to find support for him on this forum of all places, but people got angry at that. Good. http://www.oprah.com/community/thread/65517

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
and eat as much as we want

That's got to be the stupidest statement from a politician that I ever heard.

On a side note, the "eat as much as we want" was one of the big draws for my parents immigrating here. They grew up during the European depressions and WW2, and remember the German govt coming to their little farms and taking all the food for the army and leaving them with potato soup. When they made it here, even in the first few years, when they were getting on their feet and barely scraping by, the fridge was always stocked with lots of good food because, "Dis iz America, and ve can".
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
I wonder who here is going to be all for this...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
I wonder what HIS thermostat is set on in his house?

Do not know about his new house, but his condo on 54th was very toasty.  It was only cold when he went out to smoke (Michelle would not let him smoke inside).

BTW, when Obama was in the State Senate we used to jab him over his preference of SUVs and that he drove to Springfield rather than took the train.  He sold his SUV when he ran for U.S. Senate.

I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

MicroBalrog

• friend
The big issue about the leftoid crap with global warming is NOT  the environment. It's CONSUMPTION.

Listen to their culture and their rants, they always hate the CONSUMerist society.

You CONSUME too much.

You EAT too much.

Your car is too big.

Enjoying yourself is BAAAD.

And of course, people want to enjoy themselves, and the whole point of America is that they have a RIGHT to do it. And people will break their silly guidelines and rules, because very few people can live the lifestyle of 'consuming as little as possible to save Gaia'. But they will feel guilty.

That's the whole point of totalitarians of all stripes - to create a standard of behavior which none can follow but all are to feel guilty for not following.

Because guilt is a mechanism of control.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
keep our homes on 72 degrees at all times

Wow, I actually AGREE with Obama on this one.  72 F is much too warm in the summer and much too cold in the winter.

"Step away from the thermostat, and nobody will get hurt"
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

xavier fremboe

• friends
  • All-American Meanie
    • The Shop
Well, that whole set the thermostat and put on a sweater thing worked so well for Carter you can hardly blame him for co-opting it.rolleyes

I don't seem to remember Jimmy Earl passing along menu recommendations, though...
If the bandersnatch seems even mildly frumious, best to shun it.  Really. http://www.cctplastics.com

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats

I don't have to wonder, even if they don't post on this particular thread.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

AZRedhawk44

• friends
We cant drive our SUVs and eat as much as we want and keep our homes on 72 degrees at all times & and then just expect that other countries are going to say OK, Obama said.

You ain't my dad.  I pay my own heating and AC bill, and I'll set the dang thermostat where I want.  You hook a monitoring wire up to my house like that silly California proposition, and I'll disconnect it.  Piss me off enough, and I'll go off-grid.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in

I'm sorry, but what in the name of Pete do other countries have to do with this?  Are we keeping them from having comfortable homes?  Are we eating the food they were going to eat?  Huh?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Our consumption doesn't pass a higher, "global" test.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Manedwolf

• friend

I'm sorry, but what in the name of Pete do other countries have to do with this?  Are we keeping them from having comfortable homes?  Are we eating the food they were going to eat?  Huh?

As others have said, Obama has no allegiance to America. None. He's an internationalist.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)

Good question.

Although, if they go after my granola, I'm going to be pissed...
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
I used to live in Arizona. My wife hates being hot. In the summer, we set our thermostat as low as 55, although low 60's was more common. I feel so guilty now. rolleyes

How can anyone take this *expletive deleted*bag seriously?
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
....at least McCain is smart enough not to say the same thing out loud....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Perd Hapley

• friend
....at least McCain is smart enough not to say the same thing out loud....
cheesy

But the more I look at it, the more stupid Obama's comment appears.  What is it the rest of the world is going to do to us for eating and driving the way we do?  And why?  I didn't know they cared. 

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
What is it the rest of the world is going to do to us for eating and driving the way we do?

Isn't that why we have nukes?  grin
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

LadySmith

• friends
  • Veni, Vidi, Jactavi Calceos
The nerve! This statement disturbs me on so many levels...
CA state nanny-ism attempting to go national.
The idea that what we work for, what we earn the right to, somehow deprives others.
The concept that we somehow have to have permission from other countries to do anything in our own.
The absurd notion that we should feel guilty for what we have, what we work for and what we acquire.
The palpable contempt evident for capitalism and consumers.

How dare he try to tell us what we can and cannot do. Scary that he might be put in a position to somewhat be able to.
Rogue AI searching for amusement and/or Ellie Mae imitator searching for critters.
"What doesn't kill me makes me stronger...and it also makes me a cat-lover" - The Viking
According to Ben, I'm an inconvenient anomaly (and proud of it!).

MicroBalrog

• friend
I have a sly suspicion that Obama was secretly bribed by the RNC, to ensure 8 more years of Republican rule.

Little did they know that the DNC simultaneously bribed McCain... Cheesy

Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
I used to live in Arizona. My wife hates being hot. In the summer, we set our thermostat as low as 55, although low 60's was more common. I feel so guilty now. rolleyes

Holy *expletive deleted*it that is cold in the summer time. I couldn't even fathom the electric bill for running AC that could here in Iowa, are swamp coolers a lot cheaper to run?

Wife hates it hot also, I keep telling her it is in her head.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
Charby, during the summer in Arizona, the heat will kick in your door and knock you over the head.  The most uncomfortable I have been has been at Gunsite in August.  I've had the hotel AC at 55 and slept without my shirt. 

In deep winter where we are you can add clothing, go exercise, throw a log on the fire or turn up the heat.  There is no escape from that kind of heat.
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?

Holy *expletive deleted*it that is cold in the summer time. I couldn't even fathom the electric bill for running AC that could here in Iowa, are swamp coolers a lot cheaper to run?

Wife hates it hot also, I keep telling her it is in her head.

I paid less in AZ in summer than I do in WA in the winter. /shrug Not sure why, but even with it cranked down I was forking over ~$100-200 at the worst.

Charby, during the summer in Arizona, the heat will kick in your door and knock you over the head.  The most uncomfortable I have been has been at Gunsite in August.  I've had the hotel AC at 55 and slept without my shirt. 

In deep winter where we are you can add clothing, go exercise, throw a log on the fire or turn up the heat.  There is no escape from that kind of heat.

It's not as bad as Iraq, but close. I grew up in a trailer with a swamp cooler. When power would go out for a couple days due to summer storms it was just brutal.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Lennyjoe

• friend
We ran the swamp cooler until the monsoons started in July/Aug time frame.  When the humidty went up we used the a/c.  Bill during the swamp cooler time frame was ~200 mo (includes pool, jacuzzi, hot water ect) and with the a/c running it went up to ~300 per mo. 

As for the original thread, What I want to drive, how much I want to eat and however warm/cold I want my house is no business of the gov.

Perd Hapley

• friend
I have a sly suspicion that Obama was secretly bribed by the RNC, to ensure 8 more years of Republican rule.

Little did they know that the DNC simultaneously bribed McCain... Cheesy

\

Goodness knows I have a lot disagreements with you, but you just keep saying things that make me want to put you on the fast-track to citizenship.  Yankee, come home. laugh

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
The big issue about the leftoid crap with global warming is NOT  the environment. It's CONSUMPTION.

Listen to their culture and their rants, they always hate the CONSUMerist society.

You CONSUME too much.

You EAT too much.

Your car is too big.

Enjoying yourself is BAAAD.

And of course, people want to enjoy themselves, and the whole point of America is that they have a RIGHT to do it. And people will break their silly guidelines and rules, because very few people can live the lifestyle of 'consuming as little as possible to save Gaia'. But they will feel guilty.

That's the whole point of totalitarians of all stripes - to create a standard of behavior which none can follow but all are to feel guilty for not following.

Because guilt is a mechanism of control.

Well said.   You're right.