Author Topic: Torrent Software  (Read 2462 times)

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Torrent Software
« on: May 21, 2008, 09:27:47 AM »
Howdy:

I finally have a desktop running at the house and am thinking about installing torrent software.  Thing is, I know little about it and would like to avoid pitfalls.

So, I have questions.

1. Which torrent software for WinXP and Linux?
The installed-on-hardware OS is WinXP, but I also run damnsmalllinux (2.4.x kernel) virtual machine in qemu/kqemu.  If I have to, I'll run it in the VM for an aded layer of security.  I hear some torrent software is terribly invasive and mal-ware(ish).

2. Pitfalls for newbies.  What are they & how do I avoid lifting my skirt to the net?

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Sergeant Bob

• friend
Re: Torrent Software
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2008, 09:41:56 AM »
I know a few people who have used Bittorrent (me included) and have not had any problems with it. Not sure if it works with Linux though. It's pretty easy to use and has an intuitive user interface. You can also set it change the port used to download, which is handy, as some ISP's will throttle torrent downloads to unusable speeds.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

taurusowner

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2008, 09:45:03 AM »
I've used Azureus, uTorrent, and BitTorrent.  So far BitTorrent has been the most stable.  And for newbies, Azureus is way too complicated.  I've got BitTorrent running right now.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2008, 09:47:26 AM »
Acquisition on OSX combines all sorts of filesharing and torrent software into one elegant, graphical client. I don't think they make it for Windows, though.

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2008, 09:56:42 AM »
Bittorrent fan here, it just works and the config is intuitive. 

BryanP

• friendly hermit
  • friend
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2008, 10:01:24 AM »
I prefer Azureus myself.
"Inaccurately attributed quotes are the bane of the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2008, 10:12:09 AM »
I've been using Transmission on OS X and now Linux for a while. It's very no frills and just plain works.

I'm not sure why I stopped using the official client on OS X.

MrRezister

• I resist. It's what I do.
  • friend
  • Shank, shank, shank mommy's ankles!
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2008, 11:27:33 AM »
Bittorrent has been good to me.
uTorrent is pretty much the same.
He never brought you an unbalanced budget, which is a perennial joke. He never voted himself a wage increase and, to this day, gives back part of his salary every year. He has always voted to preserve the Constitution, cut government spending, lower healthcare costs, end the war on drugs, secure our borders with immigration reform and protect our civil liberties.

nico

• friend
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2008, 01:14:43 PM »
I've used Azureus, uTorrent, and BitTorrent.  So far BitTorrent has been the most stable.  And for newbies, Azureus is way too complicated.  I've got BitTorrent running right now.

I use Azureus and haven't had any problems.  What's complicated about it?  (not trying to be a smartass, just thinking I might be missing some useful features)

InfidelSerf

• friend
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2008, 01:34:50 PM »
I've been quite fond of utorrent.
I highly recommend you install PG2 (Peer Guardian 2) from phoenix labs formerly methlabs (I state that so you are not thrown off when you install and it's start up banner says methlabs)

http://phoenixlabs.org/pg2/
The hour is fast approaching,on which the Honor&Success of this army,and the safety of our bleeding Country depend.Remember~Soldiers,that you are Freemen,fighting for the blessings of Liberty-that slavery will be your portion,and that of your posterity,if you do not acquit yourselves like men.GW8/76

jrfoxx

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2008, 03:36:09 PM »
haven't tried Btorrent, Agree Azareus was a pain to get working with my secure router, norton, etc, and currently use Utorrent. Works great, and is easy to use and setup for me.

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2008, 03:39:57 PM »
I've been quite fond of utorrent.
I highly recommend you install PG2 (Peer Guardian 2) from phoenix labs formerly methlabs (I state that so you are not thrown off when you install and it's start up banner says methlabs)

http://phoenixlabs.org/pg2/

Shocked that they changed the company name. Duh.

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2008, 04:43:29 PM »
haven't tried Btorrent, Agree Azareus was a pain to get working with my secure router, norton, etc, and currently use Utorrent. Works great, and is easy to use and setup for me.

I tried Bittorrent, couldn't get any speed compared to Azareus, so I switched back.  Had relatively no pain setting up my router.  Just give Azareus a port number to work with, and direct TCP and UDP from that port to the proper computer.

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2008, 05:21:29 PM »
<3 uTorrent.
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

MrRezister

• I resist. It's what I do.
  • friend
  • Shank, shank, shank mommy's ankles!
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2008, 04:46:15 AM »

2. Pitfalls for newbies.  What are they & how do I avoid lifting my skirt to the net?

If you're getting programs from torrent sites, check the number of seeds, and if available, comments from other users.  There ARE things to avoid out there.
He never brought you an unbalanced budget, which is a perennial joke. He never voted himself a wage increase and, to this day, gives back part of his salary every year. He has always voted to preserve the Constitution, cut government spending, lower healthcare costs, end the war on drugs, secure our borders with immigration reform and protect our civil liberties.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2008, 04:52:51 AM »
I've always used Ktorrent, because I used to use KDE. I used transmission once, though. Really, I don't know what the difference is, I usually double click on torrents and they appear in my home directory later. undecided
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2008, 07:02:56 AM »
I've always used Ktorrent, because I used to use KDE. I used transmission once, though. Really, I don't know what the difference is, I usually double click on torrents and they appear in my home directory later. undecided

Magic! grin
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G