Author Topic: What can we do to make Americans safer?  (Read 9719 times)

MicroBalrog

• friend
Re: What can we do to make Americans safer?
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2011, 07:55:09 PM »
It seems to me that the obvious answer has been missed:

Violence rate are falling because America is doing it fairly right.

Somewhere in the 1980's someone figured out the answer:

Most heinous crimes - by no means all, but most - are not committed by regular people. They're committed by scumbags. And most of the time you can identify the scumbags early on when they commit 'lesser' crimes. Punish them for the 'lesser' crimes, lock them away. Establish restrictions on their movements when they come back out of prison.

The bans on felons possessing firearms, for example, for all the moral and Constitutional criticism, serve this purpose: establish any excuse possible to return the scumbags to prison. Because whatever the argument about deterrence, here's what we do know: If Joe the Convenience Store Robber is given another ten-year prison term, that's ten years he won't be robbing any convenience stores.

Arm the good guys. Make Joe the Convenience Store Robber switch to, say, stealing cars. Still annoying and bad for society, but at least nobody gets shot. I hardly need to explain to this crowd why this is good.

Hire more cops. When Joe the Convenience Store Robber is statistically more likely to get caught, he's less likely to do it.

We know the solutions to the main issues of life. They're not new. Our ancestors knew them in a rough form, and we are now only elaborating on them in a more scientific manner:

1. Bad people do bad things. Isolate bad people from society and they will not be able to do the bad things to us.
2. Bad people are afraid of the police. Police catch them. Hire police.
3. Bad people are not the same as good people. Arm the good people. Bad people get shot or scared.

These things were known to people in 15th century Italy and 10th century France. Today, we can elaborate on them in criminology institutes, but in grand detail, crime and violence are a solved problem.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2011, 08:32:58 PM »
I'll take #3

Ammo is cheaper than police and prisons.

;)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2011, 09:40:53 PM »
Music does influence culture.
I demand to know how this influenced culture.  :laugh:

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2011, 11:08:22 PM »

Well, it did result in a more-annoying-than-usual episode of Family Guy.  Which might have caused somewhere to do....something. Possibly even violent. To their TV, anyway.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2011, 12:55:15 AM »
Well, it did result in a more-annoying-than-usual episode of Family Guy.  Which might have caused somewhere to do....something. Possibly even violent. To their TV, anyway.
>:D

That was an evil thing to do ... reminding me of that episode ... [tinfoil]
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2011, 01:05:03 AM »
Micro;

Usually you and I see eye to eye.  But, I'm having a real hard time following you on this.

See, even the "good" people commit crimes with startling regularity.  Things like driving infractions, cheating on taxes (including not reporting internet purchases on tax
forms, I bet every single member of this forum is guilty of that one.  Tax evasions is a felony, is it not?), software and media piracy, gambling, smoking marijuana, etc.

Thing is, I don't really believe in this line between good people and bad people.  The only difference between me and some guy in jail for one of a huge number of things is that he got caught.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2011, 07:03:22 AM »
Here's what I mean.

I mean we do not need to contrive some magical new social solution to violent crime.

Violent crime is a solved problem.

Regular Joe is cosmically unlikely to flip out and beat me to death with a brick.  Gang-banger Joe with the previous violence convictions is the one to be worried about.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #32 on: March 27, 2011, 01:39:24 PM »
Micro;

Usually you and I see eye to eye.  But, I'm having a real hard time following you on this.

See, even the "good" people commit crimes with startling regularity.  Things like driving infractions, cheating on taxes (including not reporting internet purchases on tax
forms, I bet every single member of this forum is guilty of that one.  Tax evasions is a felony, is it not?), software and media piracy, gambling, smoking marijuana, etc.

Thing is, I don't really believe in this line between good people and bad people.  The only difference between me and some guy in jail for one of a huge number of things is that he got caught.

Your argument tends to conflate criminals with non criminals.
You might start by recognizing the difference between "malum in se" laws and "malum prohibitum" type laws.
Yes, we all "cheat" on laws to an extent.  This morning I did a "rolling stop" at an intersection instead of a full stop.  Technically I am a criminal.  
However, I am not a murderer, rapist, thief, pillager, or anything that could be defined under "malum in se."
There certainly IS a difference between "good" people and "bad" people.  Unless you think the scuzz who, just ten minutes ago, raped and slaughtered your wife stands on par with Mother Theresa, if only, maybe, because "he hasn't been caught yet.
Yes, tax evasions are felonies ... or atleast serious crimes.  Do I support tax evaders?  No.  OTOH I don't get as "offended" at them as I do murderers, mainly because (A.) murder actually deprives someone of the most important thing they have; their life, and (B.) [and I admit I am being a bit jaded or cynical here] because tax laws are made by a group of some of the most corrupt jackwagons on the face of this planet, in order to "spread wealth around" and get votes.  These people (and you know who I mean) will whine to the cows come home about the "rich paying their 'fair share,'" when they already pay much of the tax burden and the lower half of income earners pay little to no tax.  They have a misbegotten concept of how to improve the economy (really think things are getting better??) and stuff laws down our throats so we can "find out what's in them" (re: Nancy Pelosi and the mammoth health care bill).  Now this doesn't justify us breaking any law.... but when I hear about some sorry shlum getting pinched because he didn't pay a $15,000 tax bill, I don't get all "offended" I just think that was a sorry -- assed mistake, he should have simply paid it, written off the $$$$ and gotten on with his life.  A serial murderer, OTOH, does fry my sensibilities.  
SOME crimes really DO make you a bad  person ---- even an EVIL person.  The rapist, the murderer.  Those ARE evil people.  There's just no conflating those people with tax cheats IMHO.
The guy who doesn't pay taxes on an internet purchase?  Technically he's a criminal, but that is malum prohibitum.  
Can the government get all wound up about it?   With so many doing it, I'd like to see how they could either enforce it, or imprison everyone who does it.  Again, like the income tax, this is a way for kongress to express its control over the people.  It's a "sword of Damocles" over our heads....not being used right now .... but how about the future, when they might need to tighten the ''thumb-screws?"
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #33 on: March 28, 2011, 12:55:41 PM »
Violent crime is a solved problem.

More likely, big picture, it's just being transferred from the individual to the State.  Without the internal strictures of a proper moral foundation--which is anathema to the liberal mind--the answer to crime is the external suppression of a police state.

Slowly but surely everything we think, say, and do is being criminalized by those for whom power and control are the one true religion.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.