Author Topic: Thinking the unthinkable: Who follows Ted Kennedy?  (Read 7881 times)

Iain

• friend
Re: Thinking the unthinkable: Who follows Ted Kennedy?
« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2008, 01:59:10 PM »
The news about Kennedy's cancerous brain tumor has led to quiet speculation about whether he may try to handpick a successor, possibly paving the way for a relative to take over his seat.

You know, I may have fallen asleep in history class a couple of times, but I could have sworn we did away with that whole "nobility" and "inherited office" thing when we broke from Britain.  undecided

From over here it seems that your political dynasties are at least as prevalent as ours are, if not more so. It's not just democrats either. We have a number of father/son successions to political office (mother/daughter one likely to happen at a by-election soon). There is a political class in both countries, and it seems to me that the general populace for all the bitching and moaning is happy for the same names to reappear, the same training in student politics etc to give rise to the same old politicians.

nico is probably right about Kennedy, he has a glioma, which depending on the form, could kill within the year. A horrible thing.
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

nico

• friend
« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2008, 08:07:42 PM »
From over here it seems that your political dynasties are at least as prevalent as ours are, if not more so. It's not just democrats either. We have a number of father/son successions to political office (mother/daughter one likely to happen at a by-election soon). There is a political class in both countries, and it seems to me that the general populace for all the bitching and moaning is happy for the same names to reappear, the same training in student politics etc to give rise to the same old politicians.

It sucks, but I'm afraid you're right.  I'll never forget some of the crap I heard after JFK Jr. died.  In their fawning, one reporter made a comment about how the kennedy's "are the closest thing we have to royalty."  I was 16 and less jaded than I am now, but my first thought was "wtf, didn't we fight a war so we wouldn't have to deal with royalty?"  When I mentioned my thoughts to a few people, I got responses ranging from blank stares to "why are you being so insensitive?"

HankB

• friend
« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2008, 02:07:20 PM »
May I suggest that the Massachusettes Democratic Party nominate O.J. Simpson as Teddy's replacement?

Considering how the voters in MA have knowingly kept re-electing the hero of Chappaquiddick despite his actions there, O.J. ought to be a shoe-in with that electorate.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

agricola

• friend
« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2008, 02:45:57 PM »
The news about Kennedy's cancerous brain tumor has led to quiet speculation about whether he may try to handpick a successor, possibly paving the way for a relative to take over his seat.

You know, I may have fallen asleep in history class a couple of times, but I could have sworn we did away with that whole "nobility" and "inherited office" thing when we broke from Britain.  undecided

nico is probably right about Kennedy, he has a glioma, which depending on the form, could kill within the year. A horrible thing.

Perhaps, although the recent signs - Boris, and now Timpson - tend to suggest a shift away from the political class (at least in their Labour guise).   Perhaps Cameron will get in, renounce Blairism, and we can have a competent government for a change.

Have you been reading the Peter Oborne books btw?
"Idiot!  A long life eating mush is best."
"Make peace, you fools"