Author Topic: GPS units  (Read 5714 times)

thorn

• friend
GPS units
« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2005, 11:27:15 AM »
>>>When you are looking you need to think about how you want to carry the thing too, the etreks, Magellins, and the Lowrances use a patch antenna.  This reguires you to hold them as if they were lying on a table top, they HAVE to be flat to get a good signal. <<<

very interesting, thanks for that info!! that will help me sometimes.

as far as hte trees- yeah, it can be a pain, but it still works well enough you wont get lost.

>>>Oh, that's the other thing, the government CANNOT track you by your gps RECIEVER, it is, afterall, only a reciever, it NEVER transmits anything<<<<

i repeat that because it is something many people don't seem to realize.

you cna be tracked with gps no more than you can with an fm radio, it's recieve only, unleess specially outfitted like with onstar or something in cars

Nathaniel Firethorn

• friend
  • Extra Thorny
GPS units
« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2005, 02:32:49 PM »
The receiver still leaks a little RF, I'm sure. Be certain to wear your Alcoa fedora.

- NF
Give up no state. Give up no ground.

http://www.njcsd.org

jefnvk

• friend
  • I'll sleep away the days and ride the nights...
GPS units
« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2005, 06:44:14 PM »
Thanks for the help!

I got the Garmin eTrex Legend package today, with the topo maps.  Personally, it was the only B&W screen that didn't look grainy and pixelated to me.

It didn't lock on in this particular store, although the model has in others.

Now to figure out how to use the dang thing.  Maybe I oughta give the video a try.
I still say 'Give Detroit to Canada'

thorn

• friend
GPS units
« Reply #28 on: August 25, 2005, 08:08:23 PM »
holy cow that looks like an awesome one! maps all built in! you are psyched

jefnvk

• friend
GPS units
« Reply #29 on: August 26, 2005, 06:44:35 AM »
No, not all built in unfortunately.  I do have to load them in with my computer.

I did look at the Vista, and that electronic compass was kinda cool.  But, it really wasn't worth another $100 to me.  Plus no topo maps included with that one, which would have been abother hundred or so.  I can live with a handheld compass for a it longer.

thorn

• friend
GPS units
« Reply #30 on: August 27, 2005, 11:00:02 AM »
so it said "includes NA aand SA maps" - does that mean you can only load part of the  maps at a time?

and yeah, if it's an extra 100 to get it with a compass, why bother. im suprised it isnt added into yours

you are gonna have some fun with that- OH YEAH=
a hobby for nerds, check this out if you havent already=
http://www.geocaching.com/

there are tons of them near me, there are sure to be a few everywhere. check it out.

jefnvk

• friend
GPS units
« Reply #31 on: August 27, 2005, 04:12:12 PM »
It has a worldwide base map.  US has major highways and roads, and waterway navagational aids (bouys and lights) and the rest of the world is pretty much just coastline and major cities.

The topo map it came with is detail for the US.  County roads, elevation, streams, lakes, points of interest (waterfalls, buildings, etc) can be added with a computer.  I can get all of the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, and part of the Lower Peninsula onto the unit before it runs out of space.

As for geocaching, I had a buddy walk by and see I got a GPS.  He said he does that, I may go with him sometime.  Looks like there are quite a few around me.