Author Topic: Subway sandwich contest: Homeschoolers not wanted  (Read 4200 times)

Vodka7

• friend
Re: Subway sandwich contest: Homeschoolers not wanted
« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2008, 04:59:59 PM »
Whenever I meet someone going into college, I always tell them to take the professor, not the course.  I always learned more from the right professor teaching the "wrong" class than I did with the wrong professor teaching the "right" class.  Sure, my transcript is all over the map, but it helped me in the long run.

And yeah, like Balog said, the more advanced the course is, the greater the chance becomes that you're going to get a professor who cares more about what he's studying than what you're studying.  Eastern Thought turns into "listen to me talk about my book," English Composition 192 becomes Poetry 401, and Calculus II becomes Advanced Self-Study Techniques 211 with a minor in Interpreting Accents 101.

There are a lot of teachers who want to make a difference and have a passion for their subjects.  There are a lot of teachers who want to spend eight hours a week teaching and thirty-two hours a week on their own research.  And, like any government or union job, there are a lot of teachers who want to get paid very well for doing a very average job, retire early, and start collecting a pension.  Seek out the good ones and stay close to them.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2008, 05:06:40 PM »
Yea, I used to choose by the professor. I liked the good ones.  grin
Avoid cliches like the plague!

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2008, 05:48:59 PM »
Always listen to the rumors.

Stupid as it sounds.

If several people are saying someone is a really bad teacher, he likely is.

Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Dntsycnt

• friend
« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2008, 06:00:05 PM »
I find the best teachers have stiff spines and stack neatly on a shelf.

But that's only 'cause I'm antisocial such a genius.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #29 on: May 26, 2008, 06:04:00 PM »
I've had two really good teachers.  The first was a retired DOE nuclear engineer who got tired of the government runaround.  The other was an Army sergeant who didn't have a hour of college credit to his name.  Neither had a college degree in education, and it showed.