Author Topic: Two things I don't get  (Read 1036 times)

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
Two things I don't get
« on: June 03, 2008, 09:01:06 AM »
Thing 1.

Ok, so I always hear these insane prices quoted for how much money thieves get from selling cars in parts from chop shops. The number is invariably higher than the actual worth of the car. How in the world can this be true? And if it is true, why don't more people buy cars just to chop them up and rake in the huge profit?

Thing 2.

I've been doing a bit of poking around and it seems that a lot of motorcycle gear is made by the same crapshop in China, then just rebadged for different brands once it gets here? Same essential product, just different marketing etc. Is this true?

Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

coppertales

• friend
Re: Two things I don't get
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2008, 09:52:27 AM »
You haven't bought a car part lately?  Don't know about motorcycle gear.  All of my stuff is custom leather which is only worn on cool days or when I am on a road trip.....chris3

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2008, 09:59:37 AM »
I've had two attempts to steal my Harley when in Kalifornia.  The first one was somebody trying to jimmy the ignition switch, but the second one involved a rented Ryder truck with a lift tailgate, and was stopped only by a fellow motorcyclist who realized what was happening.  (It was in a bank parking lot, in front of the exterior camera, too) I understand that it's a quick way to steal a locked bike, just tip it onto the liftgate and off to the chop shop.

I would never have seen the bike complete again were it stolen.  The VIN numbers are only on the frame and crankcase, so everything else is simply a commodity. Later on, when going into a few privately-owned shops with lots of used parts, I had a shiver run down my spine.   undecided
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2008, 10:16:50 AM »
So I can buy a new Harley for $20K, chop it up and sell it for $30K. 10 grand a month profit for like an hour or two of work?
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.