Author Topic: Switch from Atenolol to Diovan = $$$. Yikes!  (Read 2568 times)

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Switch from Atenolol to Diovan = $$$. Yikes!
« on: May 29, 2008, 11:52:26 AM »
Even with the exercise and 75 lb weight loss my BP is still a little high (resting it's usually around 145-150 over 85-90).  My former doc had me on Atenolol.  My new doc wanted to take me off the Atenolol (a beta blocker) and put on Diovan HCT (an ACE inhibitor).  She's really nice, listens to my whining, and seems to put a lot of research into her recommendations so I had no problem with it.

That is, until I had the prescription filled this morning.

My Atenolol scrip was $5 a refill.  Heck, the without-insurance price was only ten bucks.  I guess that's the beauty of it having been around forever.

Diovan, on the other hand, is newer and has no generic equivalent.  The cost per refill is $72.  And that's after my insurance picks up almost $25 of the tab.  shocked Yikes!  That's more per refill than an entire year's worth of my old meds.  Nothing like a 1600 percent annual increase in med costs to get your attention!  From $50 per year to almost $900.  Jeeminy Christmas!

I could swing the price, but not without some budgetary rearrangement.  I have a call in to my doc to discuss alternatives.  She's a pretty okay sort so I figure we'll get something working.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
Re: Switch from Atenolol to Diovan = $$$. Yikes!
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2008, 01:20:04 PM »
See if Walmart has the medicine for cheaper...

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2008, 05:37:48 PM »
Ask your doc to sample you a months worth to see if it will work before you spend that kind of money on it. Most offices has a closet full of sample meds.

bob

kayakersteve

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2008, 01:40:52 AM »
As a medical professional myself, I would suggest you talk to your doc about putting you on a older ACE inhibitor, such as lisinopril with HCT - This is just as cheap as the beta blocker, and is also available in a generic.  There is no reason for not doing this unless you have had an allergic reaction to that class or developed a cough while on it.  Unfortunately, a lot of docs are still influenced by drug reps to prescribe the higher priced exclusive drugs.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2008, 03:10:32 PM »
If I may be excused a slight hijack, this thread reminds me just how differently various countries look at medicines. I also am on Atenolol. When we visit my wife's family in South America, I can buy a 3-month supply of Atenolol over the counter at any pharmacy in the country, for about $3.00 (well, with the decline in the rate of exchange it may be up to $4.00 now). Atenolol isn't obscenely expensive in the U.S., of course, but it does require a prescription.

On the other hand, here I can buy 1% hydrocortizone over the counter. The strongest available down there without a prescription is 0.1%

We now return you to your regularly-scheduled rant ...
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2008, 04:02:20 PM »
"Unfortunately, a lot of docs are still influenced by drug reps to prescribe the higher priced exclusive drugs."

too true!  and its funny how they peddle their wares. we had some that would give a free honeybaked ham if the docs came to hear a spiel and get samples.   and the docs show up for the pork
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

thebaldguy

• friends
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2008, 06:34:59 PM »
Although doctors don't get money directly from drug companies, they do get indirect compensation. Like inviting their families for a free weekend getaway while holding meetings about the drugs that the companies make. My girlfriend's sister is a doctor, and a drug company totally paid for a weekend ski vacation. Doctors always claim that these gifts don't affect their judgement, but I'm not so sure. Of course, the costs of these gifts get passed down to the consumer and the health insurance company. I work for a brokerage firm, and NASD rules state that I cannot accept a gift of more than $100.00 as it may affect and influence my judgement. Am I to believe that doctors have better judgement and more immunity to influence than I do? I think not!

Years ago, I was between jobs and didn't have health insurance. I picked up a nasty infection, and paid for the visit out of my own pocket. I paid cash, and asked for a discount. The clinic refused my request. I pointed out that a health insurance company only paid the clinic $40.00 for a visit that cost me $75.00. They said that since the insurance bought services in bulk they got a discount while I didn't. To make things worse, the antibiotics perscribed were well over $150.00. I explained to the pharmacist that I was tight for cash, and asked for something cheaper. He contacted the doctor, and got me a cheaper substitute that worked just as well for less than half the price. That pharmacy won my business and I still go there.

I'm not sure that doctors make a point to perscribe the least expensive effective meds. They have no reason to. After all, they don't have to pay for it. My prostate drug, Uroxatral, costs me $75 for a three month supply. It works well. I asked the pharmacist about what it would cost without insurance, and it would have been over $300.00 for a three month supply. I have a good job and can afford it, but I also wonder if something cheaper may work better.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2008, 03:51:09 PM »
Depends on the doc. Some are good people who genuinely care about their patients welfare. Others.... aren't.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2008, 08:10:46 AM »
My new doc is nice, and seems she really does care.  My presumption is that she's was influenced to use Diovan by the drug reps, then stayed with it because it works.  She's just not aware of the price.  It's darn sure worked for me.  After four days my BP is down from 150/90 to 125/70.

Based on kayakersteve's input, I spent most of Saturday researching alternatives, focusing on ACE inhibitors with an HCT component.  The two with the most positive patient response (for effectiveness and lack of side effects) were benazepril and lisenopril, with lisinopril leading by a fair margin.  Refills looks to be in the $10-15 range, which I can do without rebudgeting.  I'm going to talk to my doc about switching.

Brad
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2008, 11:35:24 AM »
Well, Mrs. Nice (and cute-but-married) Doctor was listened to my whining and switched me to lisinopril/HCTZ.  Actually she was very complimentary at all the research I'd done and said she didn't mind switching me at all.

Ten bucks a scrip after BCBS kicks in their share - I can handle that.  And my BP is down to 120/70.

Plus, I got my lipid panel results yesterday and everything is in the 'Normal' range.

Brad
-HankB