Author Topic: (Yet Another) US Marine acquitted of all charges in Haditha killings  (Read 2754 times)

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
A court martial on Wednesday acquitted a US Marine for his role in the deaths of 24 civilians in Haditha in Iraq in 2005, the sixth man to be exonerated in the affair, a military official said.

Lieutenant Andrew Grayson, 27, was declared "not guilty on all charges" by a jury, said a spokesman for the Camp Pendleton military base in southern California where the hearing started on May 28.

Grayson had been charged with making false statements and attempting to fraudulently separate from the Marine Corps. He was also charged with obstruction of justice, but the military judge dismissed this charge Tuesday.

He was the first Marine to stand trial in connection with the killings of 24 men, women and children in Haditha, the most serious war crime allegations leveled at US forces since the 2003 invasion to topple Saddam Hussein.

On November 19, 2005, a US soldier on patrol was killed by a roadside bomb in the village of Haditha, 260 kilometers (160 miles) west of Baghdad.

Defense lawyers claim insurgents hidden in nearby houses subsequently opened fire on the soldiers, forcing them to respond.

But prosecutors say there were no insurgents, alleging that the soldiers opened fire unprovoked in revenge for their colleague's death.

In a three-hour shooting spree, they say, the soldiers shot five passengers of an approaching taxi and killed 10 women and children at point blank range, among others.

The Marines said in a press release issued immediately after the killings that 15 Iraqis had been killed by the roadside bomb that claimed the life of Lance Corporal Miguel Terrazas.

A subsequent investigation by Time magazine showed that most of the dead were killed as Marines swept through three houses near the bombing, prompting a wide-ranging internal investigation.

Eight military personnel were originally charged over the incident -- four soldiers faced murder charges and four officers, including Grayson, were accused of covering up and failing to properly investigate the killings.

However, since charges were first announced in December 2006, prosecutors have struggled to make the allegations stick.

Six have now had charges against them dropped, while charges of murder against squad leader Frank Wuterich were changed to the lesser offense of manslaughter.

Wuterich faces trial later this year, along with Colonel Jeffrey Chessani, the highest ranking officer accused over the incident who has been charged with dereliction of duty and violation of a lawful order.

Wuterich told a preliminary hearing at Camp Pendleton last September that he would "always mourn the unfortunate deaths of the innocent Iraqis who were killed during our response to that attack."

But he said: "Based on the information I had at the time, based on the situation, I made the best decision I could have."

Haditha is shaping up to be more Jenin than My Lai, given all the dropped charges and acquittals. (6/8 dropped charges or acquittals)

It was almost as if the media was on the other side, cheering them on and trying to undermine the USA's efforts in Iraq.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

HankB

• friend
Re: (Yet Another) US Marine acquitted of all charges in Haditha killings
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2008, 06:17:16 AM »
His acquittal no doubt makes some people in the State Department (not to mention up on Capitol Hill and a few military REMFs) very unhappy.

Good.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2008, 06:32:13 AM »
Very good, I have told my enlisted friends not to re-enlist because
you might get prosecuted for killing the enemy.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2008, 07:03:53 AM »
When does TIME publish their retraction? laugh
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2008, 09:09:12 AM »

Time? Right. You know what they'll do.

"Well, as new facts have OH LOOK GLOBAL WARMING"

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2008, 10:45:03 AM »
i want to see murtha say he screwed up
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2008, 10:52:45 AM »
i want to see murtha say he screwed up

I was gonna suggest the same thing but lets don't hold our breath waiting for that POS to do the right thing.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2008, 05:25:06 PM »

Highly unlikely. Most rank and file in uniform don't have the political clout to scare TIME into doing anything like that. Retractions don't sell ad space.

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2008, 06:16:40 PM »
Well, yeah, but what about desecrating the Koran?
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2008, 01:30:23 AM »
It was almost as if the media was on the other side, cheering them on and trying to undermine the USA's efforts in Iraq.

You don't say?  shocked rolleyes

Between that and the NYT "leaking" classified info constantly, they oughta hang a few of those editors for treason.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2008, 02:19:41 AM »
I can provide the rope.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2008, 05:29:08 AM »
I've got a few decent trees out back.  anybody we don't have room for can be scheduled for the afternoon session.

I seriously don't understand why the Justice Dept. doesn't go after "leaks" like a rabid doberman.