Author Topic: get your papers ready if you plan on going through DC  (Read 15473 times)

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re: get your papers ready if you plan on going through DC
« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2008, 02:36:46 PM »
funny how the folks in the neighborhood aren't miffed. course they might have a vested interest in an end to the shooting . it gets old. different when its your kids you fear for. kinda different when its a net thing though. aside from the dope dealers most of em aren't gonna miss the suburban traffic each day. folks forget that the "victimless" crime  and its death toll can'r/won't exist without a steady stream of white folks looking to get high bringing their cash to town. stop and cops are a pretty spooky place
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

nico

• friend
« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2008, 04:29:15 PM »
nico you live near enough to go down and challenge this abomination. in real life as opposed to a keyboard. of course that would mean you gotta travel 20 miles. and be in trinidad after dark. report back
Yup, I do.  I don't, however, have the money for a lawyer or the inclination to risk having random charges thrown at me (which could get me kicked out of school).  I'm also realistic enough to realize that when one person tries to challenge an unjust law/policy on their own, they usually end up screwed.

Am I the only one who thinks cops saying "You can't enter this neighborhood unless we say you can" is a bad thing?

No, you're not. That's why I started the thread.

funny how the folks in the neighborhood aren't miffed. course they might have a vested interest in an end to the shooting . it gets old. different when its your kids you fear for. kinda different when its a net thing though. aside from the dope dealers most of em aren't gonna miss the suburban traffic each day. folks forget that the "victimless" crime  and its death toll can'r/won't exist without a steady stream of white folks looking to get high bringing their cash to town. stop and cops are a pretty spooky place

Who says the folks in the neighborhood aren't miffed?  They interviewed a resident who thought it was a stupid idea on the news yesterday.  Whether the neighbors are ok with it is irrelevant anyway.  They don't have a right to declare their neighborhood a "Constitution Free Zone." 

• friends
« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2008, 04:34:29 PM »
heck they haven;t started it yet  take a field trip  do it on a non school night.  get video  especially if you get outa the car. i lived on morse street worked at the aboretum part time. real different than the burbs
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

• friends
« Reply #28 on: June 05, 2008, 04:36:31 PM »
Who says the folks in the neighborhood aren't miffed?  They interviewed a resident who thought it was a stupid idea on the news yesterday.  Whether the neighbors are ok with it is irrelevant anyway.  They don't have a right to declare their neighborhood a "Constitution Free Zone." 
  maybe they just want the folks from the burbs to go away and take the dope dealers and the gunfire outa there hood so they can live and raise their kids. how outrageous of them

• friends
« Reply #29 on: June 05, 2008, 04:39:58 PM »
wapo did an articla about a decade ago  they talked to grade schoolers on the street who could identify the type of weapon fired by the sound, same part of town where they asked third graders "how many have seen someone shot?" and more than 1/2 the kids in the glass raised rheir hands.  it is however a great place to go buy guns or dope

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #30 on: June 05, 2008, 04:41:05 PM »
My responses were directed at the apparent belief that this is now going to be a 24x7x365 ad infinitum thing that the police are going to be doing for the rest of recorded time, a la cordoning off Berlin.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

• friends
« Reply #31 on: June 05, 2008, 04:44:50 PM »
also this is far from new been done befere here and elsewhere. i can remember the cops sealing off green valley in shirlington   no one in or out   pretty often  and who are you what you doing here?  get out now has been done often

nico

• friend
« Reply #32 on: June 05, 2008, 05:08:42 PM »
  maybe they just want the folks from the burbs to go away and take the dope dealers and the gunfire outa there hood so they can live and raise their kids. how outrageous of them
yeah, because drug dealers would straighten up and become productive members of society if all those white folks from the suburbs weren't driving there to buy drugs rolleyes.  I hate to break it to you, but there are plenty of places to buy drugs in the nicer suburbs in Montgomery, Howard, and PG counties.  Most suburban kids who are so inclined have no need to drive to the ghetto to get pot/coke/heroin, etc. 

• friends
« Reply #33 on: June 05, 2008, 05:11:18 PM »
you need to spread the word then because there is a parade of va and md tags coming through there getting that victimless weed.  and those kids die pretty frequent down there. often the dealers sometimes the suburban tourist  though thats considered bad for buisness

nico

• friend
« Reply #34 on: June 05, 2008, 05:15:21 PM »
why?  What's wrong with a little natural selection. 

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #35 on: June 05, 2008, 05:46:31 PM »
"Peter Nickles, the citys interim attorney general, said the quarantine would have a narrow focus.

This is a very targeted program that has been used in other cities, Nickles told The Examiner. Im not worried I don't care about the constitutionality of it.

Fixed it.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #36 on: June 05, 2008, 06:04:46 PM »
Much, if not all, of the 1960s urban redevelopment WAS market driven.

Governments used emiminent domain laws to seize entire neighborhoods, which were bulldozed and replaced with high-rise luxury apartment buildings and high-rent office buildings. The residents were offered buyouts (in those days, quite a few of the residents of those areas DID own their own homes), and many refused to take them, just the same as the process happens today. You get some people who are willing to sell, you get others who won't sell under any circumstance.

Southwest Washington DC was, in the 1960s, almost completely transformed in this manner.

What used to be thriving communities are now soulless concrete jungles.

Southwest DC, where at the time most of the city's poor blacks lived, was specficially targeted because it was nicely sandwiched between the Federal District and all those beautiful views over the Potomac River into Virginia.

There's one other problem with your "this will keep rich people from offering a gazillion dollars to every poor schmoe who lives there" theory.

These neighborhoods are, again if I'm correct which ones are going to be targeted first, primarily rental neighborhoods. The people who live there aren't going to be getting the benefit of those vast sums of money that are going to somehow magically appear -- the property owners will. They're residents? They're not going to be Palm Beach Condos. They're only going to get eviction notices.

Then there's also the issue that these neighborhoods are generally DEEP within larger blighted zones. It's going to take years, if not decades, for any gentrification to reach them through the process of creeping in at the edges.

When my folks lived in Tulsa, OK my dad gave me tours of neighborhoods that got bulldozed, then he showed me the relocation neighborhoods. What I saw of the bulldozer neighborhoods was streets of green grass and the sidewalks and front steps up the hill were left. I didn't know if these were left as a reminder to the former residents or what?

The relocation neighborhoods were layered deep with repeats of smaller versions of crapshap houses that we are accustomed to in the newer urban neighborhoods. Saw the same type of folks you would see in poor parts of town just living in newer houses.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

• friends
« Reply #37 on: June 05, 2008, 08:07:40 PM »
http://washingtontimes.com/news/2008/jun/06/gentrification-turns-to-fear-in-crime-riddled-neig/ 
reallity in trinidad

Gentrification turns to fear in crime-riddled neighborhood
David C. Lipscomb and Benjamin Newell THE WASHINGTON TIMES
Friday, June 6, 2008
Comment
Print
Listen
Font Size Share
Ask a Question
You Report
The Trinidad neighborhood for the past several years has been one of the last opportunities in the city for families and others to buy affordable homes in an up-and-coming neighborhood.

However, a surge in violent crime in the Northeast neighborhood has residents wondering whether their big move was a big mistake, also a predicament in other major cities.

"After 8:30 at night, we have to be inside," said Ricky Boyd, 26, who two years ago moved to Staples Street Northeast with his wife and toddler.

Residents in the neighborhood of mostly row houses on quiet, tree-lined streets said they have become so rattled by the violence - including two weekend killing sprees since late April - that some monitor police Web sites and immediately move indoors upon hearing a loud noise.

Of the 41 homicides in the city since April, seven of them have been in Trinidad. Reports show 24 assaults with a deadly weapon since that time.

The neighborhood is part of the large 5th Police District, where 14 homicides have occurred since April and 22 since January. The number of homicides in the District this year is 73, the same as this time last year.

After an especially violent two weeks in April in which 10 people were killed, Metropolitan Police Chief Cathy L. Lanier doubled and tripled patrols in the district.

Mr. Boyd and other residents also are concerned about the violence resulting in a decrease in property value.

Photographs by Astrid Riecken/The Washington Times Clarence Jones, 68, who owns a house on the 1700 block of Holbrook Street, said he fears that the area's real estate value will be affected by recent violence.

"I thought I was making an investment," Mr. Boyd said. "But all these shootings are turning it sour."

Home pricesin Ward 5have almost tripled over the past 10 years, according to a study by the District and the Urban Institute. Those in the Trinidad area have stagnated over the past 18 months, at about $260,000 according to the Metropolitan Regional Information Systems.

Residents (from right) Michael Brooks, 2, Tiffany Brooks, 24, Tamakia Johnson, 20, and Donnie Walker talk with D.C. Metropolitan Police Officer Charles Marshall about their plight.

I was looking to buy a place with a nice yard in a nice neighborhood," said Danielle Bays, 38, who lives on Morse Street. "It's concerning."

Miss Bays also said Wednesday that she remains disturbed by a homicide that occurred a few days before she moved into her home in April but has no intentions of leaving.

Claude Labbe, a real estate agent, said the lack of growth in the market has been noticeable.

"Over the last six months, we've seen appreciation in almost all areas except Trinidad," he said. "People just aren't as interested in the area, so it has not increased in value."

Developers have tried to attract new residents with retail shopping and entertainment.

The long-standing Hechinger Mall at Benning Road and Maryland Avenue, east of Trinidad, now has a Safeway, a Radio Shack and a Pizza Hut.

Just south of Trinidad is the H Street corridor, a popular hangout for young professionals recently revived from the 1968 riots with such spots as the Atlas Theater, the H Street Playhouse and live music venues such as the Rock & Roll Hotel.

"I'm not concerned," said Fritz Wood, the hotel's owner and general manager. "I still walk these streets. People are still moving here. The police presence is good."

Council member Harry Thomas, Ward 5 Democrat, thinks the area will continue to grow but said new homeowners should be prepared for growing pains.

"People sometimes when they move into these neighborhoods of transition, they have to understand the plight of the people," he said.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #38 on: June 06, 2008, 06:05:28 AM »
So if the residents of this ghetto are happy and approve of the gun ban that's ok too? I'm seeing some "It's a bad neighborhood, the cops should be able to do whatever they want" kinda views here. Not surprising given the source rolleyes but still ridiculous.

A lot of bad parents letting their kids run wild then whining that the state needs to deal with it. I like the "mom" who's 13 y/o is starting to work as a lookout for drug deals. Hey bitch, you ever think about, I don't know, being a PARENT and keeping your kid from selling drugs? Oh but that's right, poor people in bad neighborhoods can't be expected to have any measure of control on their kids.  sad
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #39 on: June 06, 2008, 07:54:49 AM »

Bear with me, it's my first post, but has anyone noticed that all this is going down in a disarmed victims zone? Just before the DC v. Heller Supreme Court rulin

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #40 on: June 06, 2008, 08:10:25 AM »

Bear with me, it's my first post, but has anyone noticed that all this is going down in a disarmed victims zone? Just before the DC v. Heller Supreme Court rulin

What you think it was planned that way.  DC officials aren't that smart or cunning.

But it could prove real interesting.  Warrantless searches.  Wish they would try that crap in Tulsa.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #41 on: June 06, 2008, 08:55:00 AM »

What you think it was planned that way.  DC officials aren't that smart or cunning.

But it could prove real interesting.  Warrantless searches.  Wish they would try that crap in Tulsa.

Be careful what you wish for; you just might get it!

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #42 on: June 06, 2008, 09:02:54 AM »
Wait...what?!

This CAN'T be okay with the Constitution in any sense of the word.

Remember, you are not being oppressed.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #43 on: June 06, 2008, 09:06:08 AM »
just a reallity check here. the prime group to be excluded is the white suburban libertarian kids coming down to buy booze.  the turf wars the dealer conduct as well as the stickup action are a nuisance to all. whiles its good to hear the outrage perhaps those far away could beseech their local kin to cop at home. sadly the carnage is often teens. you haven't lived till you u hear a mom talk about losing 2 sons to the "victimless" crime and her concern that the next time she hears shots it will be her 13 yearold this time  who just started working as a look out

Fixed it for you to a pre-Repeal mindset.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

nico

• friend
« Reply #44 on: June 06, 2008, 11:50:41 AM »
just a reallity check here. the prime group to be excluded is the white suburban libertarian kids coming down to buy booze.  the turf wars the dealer conduct as well as the stickup action are a nuisance to all. whiles its good to hear the outrage perhaps those far away could beseech their local kin to cop at home. sadly the carnage is often teens. you haven't lived till you u hear a mom talk about losing 2 sons to the "victimless" crime and her concern that the next time she hears shots it will be her 13 yearold this time  who just started working as a look out

Fixed it for you to a pre-Repeal mindset.

I was trying to ignore his attempts to change the topic from a basic infringement of freedom to a discussion about the war on drugs, but you're completely right.

• friends
« Reply #45 on: June 06, 2008, 12:04:34 PM »
lets see on the one hand we have folks who live in a neighborhood want to not worry about their kids getting capped.  they are silly enough to want that freedom. on nthe other hand we have the internet warriors. many of whom live far away , with one who wouldn't drive through that neighborhood after dark scared about how their freedom to drive through a neighborhood they couldn't last a nite in .  i'll never get a black hoodie cause i think the folks that live in trinidad winover electronic heroes of the revolution. what kinda commando won't drive 30  miles to stand up for a principle he TALKS so loud about. not as important as his possibly getting tossed from school?  no wonder the revolution dies aborning rolleyes

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #46 on: June 06, 2008, 12:08:38 PM »
Cassandra, I would walk that neighborhood any time of day of your choosing. When I'm in America, feel free to take me up on that.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #47 on: June 06, 2008, 12:13:13 PM »
lets see on the one hand we have folks who live in a neighborhood want to not worry about their kids getting capped.  they are silly enough to want that freedom. on nthe other hand we have the internet warriors. many of whom live far away , with one who wouldn't drive through that neighborhood after dark scared about how their freedom to drive through a neighborhood they couldn't last a nite in .  i'll never get a black hoodie cause i think the folks that live in trinidad winover electronic heroes of the revolution. what kinda commando won't drive 30  miles to stand up for a principle he TALKS so loud about. not as important as his possibly getting tossed from school?  no wonder the revolution dies aborning rolleyes
It is frankly irrelevant how gnarsty and crime-ridden the neighborhood is.  The problem (and yes, it is a problem) is the acceptance of these types of non-emergency roadblocks, ID checks, searches and denial of entry because you can't satisfy an arbitrary standard of "legitimate reason" as an appropriate measure.  The presence of crime in a city or neighborhood should not mean that police can chuck the Bill of Rights into the woodchipper.  But what the hell, if they want to shred the Constitution, they'll have to fish it out of our legislator's toilets first.

And CSD we all know you've got mad street cred.  You've lived out on the hard streets and are a tough thug.  We've got it, okay?

• friends
« Reply #48 on: June 06, 2008, 12:15:17 PM »
saturday nite in the summer  fourth of july preferably  i will have video. i will be in a truck wearing kevlar with a telephoto lens.   this is a hood where the 10 year olds are packing. at midnite on the streets

you do notice that so far a guy 10k miles away is only one to TALK  about going to trinidad. and i do hope hes not going to be deterred by the police

nico

• friend
« Reply #49 on: June 06, 2008, 12:17:39 PM »

you sound like a brady.  They have the "freedom" to not "worry" about their kids getting shot?  So you're ok with the DC gun ban?  After all, it makes some people feel better, and (according to you and the brady bunch) they have the right not to worry about their kids getting shot. 

and WTF is this BS about a revolution?  Not wanting to get arrested under an unjust law/policy doesn't make the law/policy just.  I won't drive through that neighborhood after dark any more than you would, because it's a dangerous piece of crap neighborhood, thanks in large part to the people who live there.  Do you think anyone who disagrees with NFA and restrictive carry laws is a hypocrite if they don't walk down the street carrying a full auto Uzi too?