Author Topic: What kind of airplane is this?  (Read 2676 times)

DJJ

• friend
What kind of airplane is this?
« on: August 25, 2005, 05:42:24 PM »
That has to be Howard Hughes in the cockpit.

Based on a P-38, maybe?

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2005, 05:49:59 PM »
I would SWEAR those are contrarotating props, and that fact should really narrow it down.

I doubt that it's based on a P-38, and I don't think that's Howard in the cockpit, either.

I'm thinking that might be a Curtis P-60, or maybe a P-62.

No. No, it can't be a P-60 or P-62.

A Bell P-59?

Hum...

No, I don't think it's any of those.

It could be an attack plane, or it could be post war.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

P95Carry

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2005, 05:56:00 PM »
Yep - contra props Mike that's for sure - as per Fairy Gannet.  Engine nacelles suggest two big 9 cyl Pratt and Whitney motors like in DC3.

Something familiar about this pic - but stimied right now.
Chris - P95
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.
Rohrbaugh interest/ownership? - Rohrbaugh Forum Rohrbaugh R9 FAQ Site

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2005, 06:05:59 PM »
What's the source of the photograph?

The military wing insignia places the photograph sometime between August 14, 1943, and January 14, 1947.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

DJJ

• friend
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2005, 06:15:31 PM »
The source will be no help. It was in a "moving sale!" ad for an art/furniture gallery in today's Santa Fe New Mexican. I imagine the ad guy just pulled out a stock shot of an airplane.

Azrael256

• friend
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2005, 06:30:02 PM »
That's surely Howard, and it's his XF-11.

You guys see the part of the recent flick where he crashes the plane through the house?  This is the one.

crt360

• friend
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2005, 06:33:49 PM »
Yes, that is Howard Hughes.  The plane is the Hughes XF-11.  Here's a link to more info and photos:

http://www.joematlock.com/HughesFX11.htm
For entertainment purposes only.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2005, 06:39:09 PM »
Dammit.

That still doesn't look like Howard Hughes to me, but I guess the hat should have tipped me off.

DJJ

• friend
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2005, 07:10:22 PM »
Thanks, fellas. Didn't see the movie.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2005, 04:23:09 AM »
This thread is why I love APS.  Every time someone comes up with a wierd object or picture or question, within a short period of time their is not only an answer, there are backup pics, anthologies, links, learned disertations; a virtual plethora of knowledge.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Azrael256

• friend
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2005, 05:04:16 AM »
Evidently the plane was a POS, but it's a really neat design.  It was intended to be a high-altitude recon plane, but the whole crashing thing kinda ended the testing.

P95, since you seem interested in aviation engines, get this: it's a pair of 28-cyl radials.  Four stacks of seven.  WHEEE!  It was among the last of the super powerful piston planes, as we were rapidly developing jet engine technology by the time it rolled onto the ramp.  While it didn't end up working out, it ranks very high on the "neato" scale.

I did a report on it in the 6th grade Smiley

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2005, 06:06:06 AM »
Howard Hughes XF11.
Even though several people already beat me to it.

Name this one
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Silver Bullet

• friend
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2005, 06:08:51 AM »
I think the Aviator is the best movie I saw last year.  I especially liked the scene where he makes a fool of the bought-and-paid-for congresscritter.  

Hughes, at least as portrayed in this movie, was a standup guy and visionary, a Renaissance man who made movies and flew airplanes as a test pilot.  In other words, a person of substance, accomplishment, courage, and  a risk-taker.  Thats why it was so great seeing him taking down the congresscritter, who was probably used to getting his way as a result of his position in government (and on the take from Pan Am, in the movie).

I havent read much about Hughes, so maybe this movie personification is inaccurate.  Ill leave that to any Hughes scholars here.

Paddy

« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2005, 12:42:44 PM »
I believe that is the first XF-11, flown by Hughes on Sunday, July 7 1946.  It weighed 34,700 pounds without fuel and was powered by tow Pratt and Whitney R-4360 engines producing 3000 hp each and equipped with two Hamilton Standard four bladed contr-rotating propellers positioned one behind the other.  He was only supposed to fly 45 minutes.  An hour and fifteen minutes into the flight, oil began leaking from the right propeller's self contained oil supply, the right rear propeller went into reverse.  Hughes attempted an emergency landing at Los Angeles Country Club, but could not maintain altitude and crashed into a house in Beverly Hills.

That's from the book "Howard Hughes-Aviator" by George Marrett who I had the pleasure of meeting earlier this year when he spoke to the Atascadero Historical Society.