Author Topic: Lawnmowers  (Read 4565 times)

BridgeRunner

• friend

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
Re: Lawnmowers
« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2008, 06:30:15 AM »
6.75 ft-lbs gross torque

I have no idea how that compares to 6.25 horsepower Huh?

I think we paid $219 for our "Huskee" at TSC 6 or 7 years ago (high wheel, side discharge, no bag)

If you are looking at a finish mower in that size I'd definitely be looking at something closer to 50hp at the PTO.

Yeah, and buying used it might even be less money, since these "compact tractors" are the big deal now.  I've thought about something like a 60-70s vintage Farmall.  I'd like to be able to mow driveways and some paths across the pasture.

The problem was that I also wanted something with a front-end loader to replace my ancient Case VAI.  I hate to try to maintain two tractors.  But a neighbor gave me a really heavy 7' 3pt blade so I'd like to have a tractor big enough to use that someday.  I could use that to grade the driveway and skid logs (back blade on 3pt works great as a logging arch).  You can also push brush backwards with a 3pt blade, but you can't pile it up 10-15 high like I can with the little loader.

I really need a visit from the tractor fairy  grin
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin