Author Topic: The firearm community is so screwed  (Read 15771 times)

wacki

• friend
The firearm community is so screwed
« on: June 09, 2008, 01:42:38 AM »
Landslides predicted in the Senate, House, and the Presidential race.  I suspect the supreme court will look very different as well by the time Obama's done.  Even the military is set to transform.

The presidential race Obama 287    McCain 227    Ties 24
Senate:  Dem 58    GOP 42 
House:  Dem 238    GOP 197 

EDIT (above stats from http://www.electoral-vote.com/)

http://www.ibdeditorials.com/IBDArticles.aspx?id=297645696465868
Obama's Plan To Disarm The U.S.
Defense Policy: In the middle of a war on two fronts, Barack Obama plans to gut the military. He also wants to dismantle our nuclear arsenal. And he wants to keep you in the dark about it.

MicroBalrog

• friend
Re: The firearm community is so screwed
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2008, 01:48:04 AM »
Yes. It is. No matter who wins.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2008, 01:58:32 AM »
As a prediction; ammo, gear, guns and mags are as cheap and available as they will ever be in the near future.  The time to stock up is now.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2008, 02:05:52 AM »
As a prediction; ammo, gear, guns and mags are as cheap and available as they will ever be in the near future.  The time to stock up is now.

You know what to do.

Cheaper Than Dirt
Gunbroker
Fulton Armory

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2008, 03:47:55 AM »

You know what to do.

Cheaper Than Dirt
Gunbroker
Fulton Armory

I never use CTD. Their shipping is INSANE. Try going through the checkout and get to shipping. Guaranteed you'll go "hell no!" and quit. They wanted $19 shipping for a 1lb $17 item, shipped UPS ground!

I am also highly dubious of that map. NH citizens are REALLY pissed at Democrats, because their wild entitlement spending caused a severe budget shortfall, and now they're making noise about raising taxes, and the milquetoast Democrat governor just signed it all. They're expected to lose big at the state level this fall.

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2008, 04:29:25 AM »
1.  No, we are not.  We are buying like mad for the coming storm.

2.  If you are worried, you need to join the NRA and help me fight.
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

xavier fremboe

• friends
  • All-American Meanie
    • The Shop
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2008, 04:47:14 AM »

You know what to do.

Cheaper Than Dirt
Gunbroker
Fulton Armory

I never use CTD. Their shipping is INSANE. Try going through the checkout and get to shipping. Guaranteed you'll go "hell no!" and quit. They wanted $19 shipping for a 1lb $17 item, shipped UPS ground!

I am also highly dubious of that map. NH citizens are REALLY pissed at Democrats, because their wild entitlement spending caused a severe budget shortfall, and now they're making noise about raising taxes, and the milquetoast Democrat governor just signed it all. They're expected to lose big at the state level this fall.
CTD is local to me, but Academy is cheaper for 9x19.  1k rounds of brass FMJ's ran me $228.  Russian steelcase is even cheaper.
If the bandersnatch seems even mildly frumious, best to shun it.  Really. http://www.cctplastics.com

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2008, 05:00:03 AM »
Well, I'm just mystified. What could Republicans possibly have done to piss off so many of us?

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2008, 05:08:46 AM »
We're only screwed if good men do nothing.  We have the Constitution behind us.  When and if we don't we can assume we no longer live in America.  Draw your own conclusions.

I can't see the coming collision between Right and Left ending well.  We would be naive to think we are all going to be swallowed whole without severe indigestion.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2008, 05:19:17 AM »
Well, I'm just mystified. What could Republicans possibly have done to piss off so many of us?
Governed as Democrats?
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2008, 05:20:41 AM »
We're only screwed if good men do nothing.  We have the Constitution behind us.

Good men have been doing nothing quite some while. I'm sorry, but the Constitution is nothing but an old, old restraining order against government.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2008, 06:03:58 AM »
I think Iowa is going to be a red state for 2008. In 2006 Democrats has control of the governorship, house and senate here and have pretty much peed in every-one's breakfast the last two years. I think people are starting to realize that liberalism/progressive isn't going to fly here like they thought it would.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2008, 06:10:57 AM »
I think Iowa is going to be a red state for 2008. In 2006 Democrats has control of the governorship, house and senate here and have pretty much peed in every-one's breakfast the last two years. I think people are starting to realize that liberalism/progressive isn't going to fly here like they thought it would.

That sounds very much like New Hampshire.

Crazy spending despite warnings. Smoking ban, other attempts at nanny state laws that thankfully didn't pass. And now "oops, we have no money! We must find ways to get more money. Taxes!"

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2008, 06:16:44 AM »

Crazy spending despite warnings. Smoking ban, other attempts at nanny state laws that thankfully didn't pass. And now "oops, we have no money! We must find ways to get more money. Taxes!"

Unfortunately all the nanny state crap they came up with passed and the governor signed it off. The new smoking ban takes place on July 1st.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2008, 06:20:24 AM »

Unfortunately all the nanny state crap they came up with passed and the governor signed it off. The new smoking ban takes place on July 1st.

The smoking ban passed. The seatbelt law didn't. Neither did the attempt to revise CCW requirements. Oh, yes, and one of the dems also tried the "impeach Bush" thing again just recently. The governor is a doe-eyed wimp.

People, except for the blank-eyed Boston commuters who moved here for "quality of life" while continuing to vote the same way that destroyed MA are...displeased.

oldfart

« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2008, 07:10:31 AM »
I doubt Obama can do much to the Supreme Court.  The only possible retirees are the liberal ones and all he could do is put in liberal replacements.

Everything else is on the table though.  Whatever you think you might need to buy - buy it now and try to keep it "off paper" if you can!  AK parts kits are no longer being imported so the prices are going up.  Buy now and put it away until a) you need to build it or, b) someone else needs it badly enough they'll pay a higher price for it.

BLOAT!

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2008, 07:38:35 AM »
I doubt Obama can do much to the Supreme Court.  The only possible retirees are the liberal ones and all he could do is put in liberal replacements.

Everything else is on the table though.  Whatever you think you might need to buy - buy it now and try to keep it "off paper" if you can!  AK parts kits are no longer being imported so the prices are going up.  Buy now and put it away until a) you need to build it or, b) someone else needs it badly enough they'll pay a higher price for it.

BLOAT!

The barrels are no longer being imported. Barrels must be destroyed. I don't know about kits. I'd like to find the #$%! at BATFE that decided that excellent, new Steyr barrels were a threat of some sort and had to be cut to pieces, and throw the pieces at them.

For the time being, though, if you want AKs, you can still buy a Saiga. They're cheap, they're good, they're real Russian AK's, get'em.

Werewolf

• friend
  • Lead, Follow or Get the HELL out of the WAY!
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2008, 07:44:12 AM »
Is anyone starting to note the parallels in history that occured North/South in the 1850's and the Blue/Red states of current times?

There's a major clash of cultural values currently going on in the US between Red and Blue states just like there was a major clash of cultural/economic values in the 1850's between the North and South states.

Eventually when cultures clash one ends up dominant and the other is destroyed or assimilated.

I wonder how the current clash will be resolved?
Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love
truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.

Fight Me Online

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2008, 08:41:03 AM »
Good men have been doing nothing quite some while. I'm sorry, but the Constitution is nothing but an old, old restraining order against government.

That's not news.

You follow your lights; I'll follow mine.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2008, 10:08:36 AM »
Is anyone starting to note the parallels in history that occured North/South in the 1850's and the Blue/Red states of current times?

There's a major clash of cultural values currently going on in the US between Red and Blue states just like there was a major clash of cultural/economic values in the 1850's between the North and South states.

Eventually when cultures clash one ends up dominant and the other is destroyed or assimilated.

I wonder how the current clash will be resolved?

Think "Northern Ireland".....but not as civilized.....  sad
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2008, 11:23:22 AM »

BLOAT!

The barrels are no longer being imported. Barrels must be destroyed. I don't know about kits. I'd like to find the #$%! at BATFE that decided that excellent, new Steyr barrels were a threat of some sort and had to be cut to pieces, and throw the pieces at them.

For the time being, though, if you want AKs, you can still buy a Saiga. They're cheap, they're good, they're real Russian AK's, get'em.
No barrels can be imported at all? Or just barrels for EBRs?

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2008, 11:27:27 AM »
Can't import barrels with foreign parts kits. The barrels need to be destroyed. As far as I can tell, that applies to anything including FAL variants and SMGs. No barrels. Probably semiautomatics and such, since bolt-actions are still coming in in piles for cheap.

Supposedly that was enacted in 2005, but it's really showing up now as the stocks of previously imported stuff is depleted.

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2008, 11:54:56 AM »
Can't import barrels with foreign parts kits. The barrels need to be destroyed. As far as I can tell, that applies to anything including FAL variants and SMGs. No barrels. Probably semiautomatics and such, since bolt-actions are still coming in in piles for cheap.

Supposedly that was enacted in 2005, but it's really showing up now as the stocks of previously imported stuff is depleted.
Wouldn't it be an option to import the barrels by themselves? Or am I just trying to find a loophole?
How does places like DSArms do it? They make everything themselves?
Quick glance at their webpage states "All barrels are made in the USA".

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2008, 11:58:13 AM »
Yes. They have American-made barrels. Green Mountain makes barrels for lots of imports. All their parts kits and rifles come with a US-made barrel. The parts kits come with the piece of the sadly cut Steyr barrel still in place so you can get the locking shoulder off right. If they came with just the receiver missing, they'd be much easier to assemble. All BATFE did was to enjoy a pissy bit of annoying of hobbyists. It doesn't solve any "crime" in any sense of the word.

But then, I'm still not sure what "problem" that 922(r) was meant to address, either.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2008, 12:01:53 PM »

But then, I'm still not sure what "problem" that 922(r) was meant to address, either.

Protectionism.