Author Topic: Obama babbles yet more stupidity...  (Read 10286 times)

Manedwolf

• friend
Obama babbles yet more stupidity...
« on: June 09, 2008, 09:31:55 AM »
RALEIGH, North Carolina (Reuters) - Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama said on Monday he would impose a windfall profits tax on U.S. oil companies as he sought political gain from Americans' pain over high gasoline prices.

Launching a two-week focus on the economy after clinching the Democratic presidential nomination, Obama drew a sharp contrast between his economic policies and those of John McCain, his Republican rival in the November election.

"I'll make oil companies like Exxon pay a tax on their windfall profits, and we'll use the money to help families pay for their skyrocketing energy costs and other bills," the Illinois senator said.

Take...profits. To help...poor people. What other bills, I wonder? Considering they consider cable TV an entitled utility now. WEALTH REDISTRIBUTION, IS IT?

What a freaking clown. Sure, Obama. Chase all the oil companies to Dubai.

http://www.reuters.com/article/topNews/idUSWAT00963020080609

Regolith

• friend
Re: Obama babbles yet more stupidity...
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2008, 09:40:55 AM »
Only a democrat could think that TAXING a company is going to make the price of their product go DOWN.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2008, 09:43:15 AM »
Only a democrat could think that TAXING a company is going to make the price of their product go DOWN.

Yes. Two possible outcomes.

1. Oil companies say "screw this" and move major operations to the UAE.
2. Oil companies pass costs on to the consumer.

Also...isn't that something Jimmeh tried, and it killed domestic production?

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2008, 10:00:27 AM »
Launching a two-week focus on the economy after clinching the Democratic presidential nomination...

Sorry, but that's a decade longer than the attention span of either Obama or the self-styled "news" media. He's in it for a few sound bites.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2008, 10:05:29 AM »
You can bet he won't mention the obscene profits the govt makes from taxing Big Oil (the consumers).
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2008, 11:35:09 AM »

Paddy will be along shortly to explain how this works.......... rolleyes
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Ryan in Maine

• friend
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2008, 02:16:34 PM »
I'm honestly scared of Obama. I've never really been worried about the US before. Not like this. I'm scared. Seriously.  undecided

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2008, 04:19:17 PM »
I'm honestly scared of Obama. I've never really been worried about the US before. Not like this. I'm scared. Seriously.  undecided

I'm just rather depressed that the no-thought-beyond-American-Idle crowd really could truly destroy the country with their votes this time.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2008, 04:24:46 PM »

I'm just rather depressed that the no-thought-beyond-American-Idle crowd really could truly destroy the country with their votes this time.

I've talked to a few Obama "supporters" and their reasons for liking him equate to "He's someone different" and "I like the way he talks".
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Green Lantern

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2008, 05:09:27 PM »

I've talked to a few Obama "supporters" and their reasons for liking him equate to "He's someone different" and "I like the way he talks".

You know, that sounds disturbingly familiar...they aren't subconsciously tapping out a little beat all the time, are they?  shocked

"Here....come.....THE DRUMS!!!!!"

Gowen

• Metal smith
  • friend
    • Gemoriah.com
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2008, 07:16:34 PM »
Keep talking Obama, maybe, just maybe, the American people will wake up to your nonsense.
"That's my hat, I'm the leader!" Napoleon the Bloodhound

Gemoriah.com

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2008, 07:18:59 PM »
Best description I've heard yet, based on his non-scripted performance and empty rhetoric..."Wizard of Uhhhs."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2008, 08:18:32 PM »
Green Lantern,

Huh?  Huh?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2008, 10:05:57 PM »
Obama will be remembered as the dumbest "brilliant" guy ever to cavort on the political stage.

Obama and the Obamatons are going to be the nettle that starts the Great Turn-Around.  There may be some discomfort and pain first but "nettle in dock out."  He and his Children's Crusade are not going to wreck America--because we are not going to let him.  Maybe we will even begin to start questioning the reaches of suffrage in America after watching utter foolishness take us to the brink.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2008, 01:09:25 AM »
  Tax big oil? Right. Maybe they could start by eliminating the subsidies.
Htp://media.cleantech.com/node554 . Billions. They're playing Robin Hood anyway.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2008, 01:12:21 AM »
He and his Children's Crusade are not going to wreck America--because we are not going to let him. 

You and whose army?

Conservatives let FDR, LBJ, and  Carter happen.

They let Bush (who is not a real conservative) and Nixon (who was not a real conservative) and McCain (who was never a conservative, real or otherwise) take charge in their own party.

Seriously, why do you think something is going to magically get better overnight now?
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2008, 04:45:19 AM »
Obama will be remembered as the dumbest "brilliant" guy ever to cavort on the political stage.

Only Second to W.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2008, 05:56:56 AM »
You and whose army?
Conservatives let FDR, LBJ, and  Carter happen.
They let Bush (who is not a real conservative) and Nixon (who was not a real conservative) and McCain (who was never a conservative, real or otherwise) take charge in their own party.
Seriously, why do you think something is going to magically get better overnight now?

That's the spirit, Micro.

Well, magical thinking got us here; maybe realistic thinking will get us out.  You never know.   If Americans stand around and let their nation be scuttled by the Pied Piper I'll be very surprised.  Obama's honeymoon will end quickly enough.  Magical thinking is powerful; survival is more powerful.

I think T.E. Lawrence was right: "Nothing is written."

"Domari nolo."

Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2008, 02:58:14 AM »
Obama's honeymoon will end quickly enough.

The issue, unfortunately, is not Obama - who is no doubt a very talented politician and charismatic man.

The issue is that millions of people - including many people who vote 'Republican' have accepted, most of them without questioning, the initial assumptions of the Welfare State - that the 'third rails' are all here to stay forever, that the post-New-Deal system is all good, and so forth.

Until the conservatives manage to create a consistent positive program - what are we going to do to fix America? - as opposed to just whining 'vote for the Republican because the Democrat is slightly worse', you're just postponing the collapse of America.

Now, I do not mean that America will become something like an Argentina, Take Two.

Rather, I think the welfare-statists will find some form of point at which they can take a lot of money in taxes, but still not enough to screw over the economy completely, and America will pitter-patter like this for a few more decades or even centuries - think of the European countries. You will even have economic growth and moderate wealth. But nothing even approaching the greatness you could have had, had you been free.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Werewolf

• friend
  • Lead, Follow or Get the HELL out of the WAY!
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2008, 07:24:00 AM »

Welcome to the club...
Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love
truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.

Fight Me Online

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2008, 07:41:56 AM »
Argentina Here is not that far-feteched.  Or maybe Venezuela--I live in California--is the more apt analogy.  We're not just going to muddle along; we have too many external and internal enemies for that.

I don't think Obama is that talented or charismatic.  I think he's a useful tool with many very powerful friends on whose shoulders he is riding.  That he can fool millions of people who shouldn't be voting in the first place is no great surprise given the devolution of our mass culture and the deliberate destruction of moral values.

Meanwhile...

I think computers are too expensive, don't you?  Why not windfall profit taxes on Dell, IBM, Microsoft, and Apple?  A MacBook and iPod in every pot?
"Domari nolo."

Molon Labe.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2008, 12:37:30 AM »
America is the wealthiest, freest, most powerful country in the world.

To think that a leader that's to the right of anybody who's in charge of any European country can  reduce it to Argentina levels overnight is insane.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2008, 01:34:17 AM »
This is America.  We have a right to be insane.   cool
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Werewolf

• friend
  • Lead, Follow or Get the HELL out of the WAY!
« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2008, 10:49:03 AM »

To think that a leader that's to the right of anybody who's in charge of any European country can  reduce it to Argentina levels overnight is insane.

Not if you combine that leader with a Congress controlled by Democrats it isn't. If Obama wins the Dems will run amok.
Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love
truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.

Fight Me Online

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2008, 10:54:06 AM »

The Dems were able to take over NH's legislature due to a combination of people blindly voting "against the war" and idiot MA transplants.

In ONE TERM...just ONE TERM, they completely blew away a budget surplus and turned it into a shortfall of millions by expanding entitlement programs, threw money at dead-end mass transit studies, railroaded NH into a carbon cap that will make everyone's power bill go WAY up, are calling for raising taxes, trying to make people do away with a pledge against sales and income taxes, they banned smoking in restaurants, tried a seatbelt law, and tried to change CCW rules, the latter two defeated only due to the efforts of the Republicans left.

The Dems in the majority in the House and Senate will go batsh*t INSANE if Obama is elected, and he'll sign everything.