Author Topic: Ken Burns' "Civil War"  (Read 2227 times)

PTK

• friends
Ken Burns' "Civil War"
« on: June 10, 2008, 12:00:57 PM »
I caught a few minutes of this a couple years back, and it seemed interesting enough. Has anyone here seen the entire series? Is it worth owning, or just worth renting?

What really haunted me more than some of the pictures was the music. It's hard to describe the music.
"Only lucky people grow old." - Frederick L.
September 1915 - August 2008

"If you really do have cancer "this time", then this is your own fault. Like the little boy who cried wolf."

Manedwolf

• friend
Re: Ken Burns' "Civil War"
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2008, 12:02:13 PM »
It's decent.

It engendered a name for an effect in video editing, the "Ken Burns effect"...a pan across a still photograph with music and evocative sounds of the event and voices added to it.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2008, 12:04:19 PM »
I thought it was excellent.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

PTK

• friends
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2008, 12:16:01 PM »
Well, looks like I might just spend the $100 then - seems like I'd get more than that in enjoyment, and when I'm done the library can have an interesting DVD set. Thanks for the opinions!

"If you really do have cancer "this time", then this is your own fault. Like the little boy who cried wolf."

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2008, 01:25:54 PM »
I'm not sure about owning it for $00.  I watched it a few months ago back to back as I put it in my netflix queue.  i don't know that I would watch it again enough to have it be an "owner" instead of a "renter".

xavier fremboe

• friends
  • All-American Meanie
    • The Shop
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2008, 03:17:26 PM »
I caught a few minutes of this a couple years back, and it seemed interesting enough. Has anyone here seen the entire series? Is it worth owning, or just worth renting?

What really haunted me more than some of the pictures was the music. It's hard to describe the music.
Local PBS used to run it in its entirety on the last day of pledge week.  Great way to spend a day.  I believe the theme music was called "Akoshan Farewell".  Shelby Foote is fantastic throughout.  You might try picking it up off ebay or at a used book store.  Don't know that I'd pay full retail for it.
If the bandersnatch seems even mildly frumious, best to shun it.  Really. http://www.cctplastics.com

PTK

• friends
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2008, 03:21:31 PM »
Buying it full price from PBS is a way to support them. I like that.  smiley

Also - I have the song Ashoaken Farewell. WOW. What a piece of music.

xavier fremboe

• friends
  • All-American Meanie
    • The Shop
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2008, 03:25:14 PM »

Also - I have the song Ashoaken Farewell. WOW. What a piece of music.
You have a bigger heart than I do.  I listen to NPR all the time, but they won't see a dime from me until Dan Schorr retires or dies.
If the bandersnatch seems even mildly frumious, best to shun it.  Really. http://www.cctplastics.com

Azrael256

• friend
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2008, 07:43:53 PM »
Historically, it is not inaccurate, but perhaps 'selective.'  It does contain a few blatant inaccuracies, but many of them were discovered to be so as a result of scrutiny of the film, so it gets a pass on most of it.

As for making it come alive, it is a *must see* for history buffs and for serious historians.

PTK

• friends
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2008, 10:51:24 PM »
I borrowed the first episode on VHS from a friend. The pile of amputated feet/limbs....  shocked

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2008, 01:08:35 AM »

Why do you like that?  Huh? 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

PTK

• friends
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2008, 01:14:27 AM »
I grew up watching PBS. It was literally the ONLY TV programming I was allowed to watch until I turned 13. I, along with my parents, believe that helped a great deal in making me the person I am now. I wish to support them for that simple reason, right or wrong.  smiley

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2008, 01:17:38 AM »
I grew up watching PBS. It was literally the ONLY TV programming I was allowed to watch until I turned 13. I, along with my parents, believe that helped a great deal in making me the person I am now. I wish to support them for that simple reason, right or wrong.  smiley

That explains a lot then. grin
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

PTK

• friends
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2008, 01:22:42 AM »
Yep, I'm a brainwashed Democrat/Green hippie who hates both freedoms and guns. Especially the 100+ guns I own.  grin