Author Topic: Just started stuffing my own smokes  (Read 18868 times)

Vodka7

• friend
Just started stuffing my own smokes
« on: June 10, 2008, 02:43:47 PM »
Well, even though I don't actually own a car, gas prices are making just about everything I buy cost more.  I'm not going to stop drinking, smoking, eating, or living indoors, so on the advice of some friends I started googling about rolling your own cigarettes to cut down one major cost.  Here in Philly you'll pay between $4.16 and $5.25 for cigarettes depending on where you're shopping.  Convenience stores like WaWa tend to charge the state minimum, and local corner stores charge whatever they can get away with (which was $5.00 forever, but it seemed like overnight every one of them tacked on the extra quarter.)  When I can get them, buy-one-get-ones drastically reduce my average price for smokes, but they're much rarer in this neighborhood than they were in my last (at least, in my preferred brand, Marloboro Menthol.)  On average, I probably spend $4.50 a pack because I buy them when I need them, wherever I am, instead of planning ahead and getting them where I know they're cheapest.  So, on average, I was spending $45 a carton, or at roughly a pack a day, $135 a month on smokes.

Anyway, I just started stuffing my own cigarettes.  Everyone here's familiar with rolling your own cigs, where you've got a rolling paper, maybe a filter, and tobacco.  Well, I don't have the steadiest hands and those rolling papers are pretty damned small, so I never made the switch.  But when I was researching them, I found out there's also something called stuffing or making your own (SYO/MYO instead of RYO).  Instead of papers and filters, you buy tubes, which look exactly like store-bought smokes but hollowed out.  Filter's already glued in, already machine wrapped to a perfect cylinder.  All you need is an injector that packs the tobacco, cuts off the excess, and spoons it into the tube.  They range in price from under $10 for a handheld one to hundreds for an electric, but the best buys are the $20 EXP1000 I bought or one of the Top or SuperMatic crank machines for $40-60.  My EXP1000 is two step, which means you pull one lever to pack the tobbacco/cut the excess and slide another to pack the tube.  The one step machines do everything with one (long, arching) pull of a lever.  (The EXP is made out of plastic, though.  It's a great travel machine, and the price is right, but a lot of people prefer a more solid machine with a metal casing.)

I'm just starting and it takes me ten or fifteen minutes to stuff a pack, depending on how many times I screw up.  Since it's all done manually, it takes a while to get used to the feel of the amount of tobacco you need per smoke.  Most people on the forums I studied said with practice you can expect to do a pack in 6-7 minutes.  And that's with a two step machine like mine--one step machines can do a pack in five or less.

As for the finished result?  It looks exactly like a normal smoke.  Perfect cylinder, filter, etc.  There are dozens of styles of tubes that you can buy to customize the look.  And tobacco?  Hundreds.  Daughters and Ryan (D&R) is one of the most respected American brands of tobacco, so I went with a 14oz bag of their Wingate (Menthol) tobacco, which is enough for two cartons.  (I also tried a couple 1oz samples of different menthols that did not go as well.)  It's got the same draw as a Newport or Marlboro Menthol, except you can actually taste the tobacco.  It's also the first time in years I can actually feel the nicotine hit me.

But, I didn't start doing this for the taste, I did it for the savings, so here's a price breakdown.  For my injector, bag of Wingate, samples, two plastic cigarette cases, a box of tubes, and shipping, I paid $60.25.  If I had been smart enough to buy a second box of tubes, it would have been $64.25 and given me enough materials to make two cartons.  Like I said earlier, two cartons would cost me $90 here, so even including start up and shipping costs I'm already ahead.  And, I went with the most expensive tubes on the market because they were all black.  A beginner's order could look something like this:

-EXP1000 injector - $19.90
-Choice of D&R tobacco, 14oz - $20.50
-Choice of tubes, two boxes at ~$2.00ea - $4.00
-Two Smokey cigarette cases $1.95ea - $3.90 (these are the best brand for keeping your rolled cigarettes from drying out in arid climates.)
-Shipping - $8.75

Total - $57.05 to get started.  For refill orders, assuming one bag of tobacco, two boxes of tubes, and nothing else, you'd be looking at $33.25.  For two cartons.  $16.63/carton after your initial costs are paid, compared to $45.  So, at $1.66 a pack, pack a day, I'm now looking at spending $49.80 a month instead of $135, and I end up with a better tasting cigarette.  I'm saving $85.20 as a single guy who smokes a pack a day.  Those of you whose spouse smokes or who smoke more than I do are going to save a lot more.

So, if any of you other smokers are looking to save some cash, take some time and look over these links:

http://www.americanthrusttobacco.com/ - The retailer I used.  They're not the cheapest, but they're fairly close to me and their customer service was great when I was placing my first order.
http://www.cigarettetobacco.com/ - D&R's website.  Great tobacco, horribly outdated page.  It's only good for the phone number, as half the stuff they carry isn't listed.  Best prices around, though.
http://ryorevolution.com/d_r-tobaccos.html - The official list of all D&R's tobaccos.
http://forum.ryorevolution.com/ - A great forum for reading reviews on tubes, tobacco, and machines.

PTK

• friends
Re: Just started stuffing my own smokes
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2008, 02:59:59 PM »
I'm on a four-year plan.

Right now, year one, I'm smoking cigarettes...

Then, it'll be cigars year two, then pipes, then that nicotine gum.  grin
"Only lucky people grow old." - Frederick L.
September 1915 - August 2008

"If you really do have cancer "this time", then this is your own fault. Like the little boy who cried wolf."

Ex-MA Hole

• friend
    • The Brown Bomber
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2008, 03:01:43 PM »
MMMMMmmmmm.....cigars....
One day at a time.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2008, 03:09:59 PM »
You'll need the extra money to pay for all the chemo. Tongue
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2008, 03:10:58 PM »
Cigars!  Thanks for reminding me!  Every so often, I just plain forget that I have a humidor full of fine stogies sitting on the shelf.  It's probably been a couple of months since I last smoked one.  Gotta remedy that.

My old college roommate made his own cigarettes on one of those Top machines.  He said his own smokes tasted better and cost less than store-bought varieties.  He always seemed to enjoy fiddling with the loading machine, too.

thebaldguy

• friends
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2008, 03:42:58 PM »
I rolled my own smokes from time to time in college. I would buy a pouch of Drum or Zig Zag tobacco for cheap. I can't roll, so I got one of those little rolling machines to spin up a cigarette. People would look at me kinda funny when I would roll up a smoke. One guy thought I was spinning up a joint at the end of a class.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2008, 03:48:01 PM »
If you can't roll 'em buy hand, with just 'baccie and paper; turn in your man card.  Tongue   
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Vodka7

• friend
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2008, 04:00:38 PM »
Drum and ZigZag aren't the best out there, but they still compare pretty decently to regular cigs.  Bali Shag is decent if European smokes are your thing, it's a lot more expensive than what I pay though ($10 for 5.9oz instead of $20 for 14oz.)  I haven't tried any of the other corner store brands.

And yeah, I'm not exactly John Wayne when I sit at the kitchen table with my little plastic machine grin  But the end result doesn't look like it was made by a monkey, and it's much, much easier to have the right amount of tobacco throughout the whole smoke.

thebaldguy

• friends
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2008, 04:14:27 PM »
If you can't roll 'em buy hand, with just 'baccie and paper; turn in your man card.  Tongue   

Pretty funny. My dad told me my grandfather could roll his own smokes with one hand. That way he could drive and smoke.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2008, 05:36:32 PM »
I'm on a four-year plan.

Well, if you're smoking nicotine gum, you're doing it wrong.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2008, 05:45:43 PM »
I'm on a four-year plan.

Well, if you're smoking nicotine gum, you're doing it wrong.

Beats chewing cigarettes. Wink

zahc

• friend
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2008, 07:42:32 PM »
A guy at my old job started rolling his own to save money. They looked and smoked just like store bought kind, rather 'un-lite' ones at that, I wonder if you can cut the tobacco or get less-stout blends. He had neat, stylish cigarette boxes the size and shape of commercial cigarette packs that he kept them in, but if I was doing it I would get a cool, flat cigarette case.

I always wanted to learn to roll them by hand just so that I could roll a smoke while cruising on my longboard for the true ultimate in coolness. Alas, I don't smoke often enough, they are bad for you and all.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2008, 08:10:31 PM »
they are bad for you and all.
They aren't nearly as bad for you as they're made out to be.  It all depends on how much you smoke.  Fewer smokes means lower, or even zero, added risk of illness.

"All things in moderation."

Vodka7

• friend
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2008, 08:22:33 PM »
I wonder if you can cut the tobacco or get less-stout blends.

You can, there's a huge difference in flavor among brands.  Different tobaccos, different curing processes.  Some companies use stems and casings in their tobaccos, some don't.  And that's just manufacturers--a lot of people mix tobaccos until they find exactly what they want to smoke.

On top of that, there's all kinds of different tubes.  The ones I use fall in the mild category, and they've got a 22mm filter.  There's Full Flavor (FF) tubes, light tubes, light tubes with holes, and even tubes that don't have traditional filters, just a very small one to keep tar (and tobacco) out of your mouth.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2008, 09:04:07 PM »
You're from Philly and you're still doing it wrong! Get a single Philly cigar, empty contents, re-stuff with premium "tobacco." Presto arresto!  police

I want to see a drunk guy needing a smoke confuse his cig making machine and his reloading machine.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Manedwolf

• friend

LAK

• friend
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2008, 01:57:49 AM »
In addition to good cigars, there are also cigarette sized cigars that are very cheap.

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2008, 03:12:00 AM »
"All things in moderation."

"I never carry moderation to extremes" Groucho Marx
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2008, 03:18:20 AM »
I used to roll my own, I liked Galouise, drum was ok too.
The best were Camel straights (unfiltered)

Even better was being able to breath and stop hearing strange lung noises, also my love life was better too...when I finally quit.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2008, 03:24:04 AM »
Quit smoking cigarettes several years ago.  Was smoking pack to a pack and a half a day.

Also quit dipping a year or so after that.  Was dipping a can or so a day.

Now it is a cigar every now and then.  More so since I am in Iraq than when I am home but still the same.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

mfree

• friend
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2008, 04:20:30 AM »
I smoke maybe a pack or two a month... and dammit, now I know there's a GADGET.

You freaks are going to put me in the poorhouse, got a gadget for everything, and my true addiction is to the gadgets Smiley

As far as what, it's been mostly Lucky Strikes and Djarums... tried a couple packs of Nat Shermans but the taste and smell lingered a bit long for me. I may very well have to try the rollers.

EDIT: as far as the tobacco goes, don't even really know if I can consider it an addiction or not. I'll just put them down for a week or two as it goes, no big deal. Caffeine, now, that I MUST have.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2008, 04:23:20 AM »
djarums are absolute crap for you. At least there's quality standards for US brands. Those are just atrocious.

Besides, cloves are for emo kids. cheesy

mfree

• friend
« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2008, 04:42:53 AM »
*shrug* I think they're tasty. Hell, they look better than 99% of what comes out of other boxes, as far as quality goes.

I would, some day, like to find a box of galoises. If there's a spread of flavors and "textures" in cigars, surely the same can be said of cigarettes, and I want to try'em out.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2008, 04:46:43 AM »
Look up some stuff on how many preservatives and dangerous chemicals are in those imported cloves.

mfree

• friend
« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2008, 06:13:46 AM »
I like the cloves, I'm not dead, hacking up blood, or even feeling wierd. End of subthread.