Author Topic: This is what happened in Obama's state of Illinois  (Read 7520 times)

macpherson

Re: This is what happened in Obama's state of Illinois
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2008, 08:02:41 AM »
My point was more to the decline of America and it's importance in the world.  Personally, I find it comforting that we are the only superpower, and disturbing that China is:
1.  Holding so much of our national debt.
2.  Producing so much of our crap.
3.  Actively increasing their military, particularly their naval capacity, to increase their sphere of influence.

Not an issue to be worried about.  I'm not sure why people are so terrified of the whole national debt thing.  We had huge debts since the 60's and the country has only gotten more prosperous.  At the national level, those debts will never EVER be called up, and even if they do, how are they going to collect?  Last I checked we're still the biggest kid on the block.  Owing our debts to China is even better, as they want that money back, and if things get too "tense" between us, they don't get a dime.  Maybe we'll have to stop buying their cheap crap, but that's good since we'll actually get some manufacturing jobs back.  grin

xavier fremboe

• friends
  • All-American Meanie
    • The Shop
Re: This is what happened in Obama's state of Illinois
« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2008, 12:14:48 PM »
My point was more to the decline of America and it's importance in the world.  Personally, I find it comforting that we are the only superpower, and disturbing that China is:
1.  Holding so much of our national debt.
2.  Producing so much of our crap.
3.  Actively increasing their military, particularly their naval capacity, to increase their sphere of influence.

Not an issue to be worried about.  I'm not sure why people are so terrified of the whole national debt thing.  We had huge debts since the 60's and the country has only gotten more prosperous.  At the national level, those debts will never EVER be called up, and even if they do, how are they going to collect?  Last I checked we're still the biggest kid on the block.  Owing our debts to China is even better, as they want that money back, and if things get too "tense" between us, they don't get a dime.  Maybe we'll have to stop buying their cheap crap, but that's good since we'll actually get some manufacturing jobs back.  grin
That's like saying that you can afford $50k of credit card debt because you make $50k per year, and since you didn't charge anything but air fare and food there aren't any assets for them to seize if you default.
If the bandersnatch seems even mildly frumious, best to shun it.  Really. http://www.cctplastics.com